16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2012 9:58 AM by memark3

Sharing for PC playback

community help Level 1
        • 1. Re:  Sharing for PC playback
          memark3 Level 1

Being new to this, I have no idea, when it comes to a final savewhat they call Share which of the many formats for computer viewing to choose.  In the user guide all I could find was "Based on your requirements, select an option from the Presets menu"no explanation of how to know which to choose.  The only requirement I can think of is, best quality, & something that will work on as many different viewers as possible. In M2T & MP4 there's a dozen or so variations to choose from.  ?????  thanksMark

• 2. Re:  Sharing for PC playback
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you asking how to output a video for viewing on a computer?

If so, is this literally how you will use it? Just sit at a computer and watch it? Or do you plan to display it online or on a portable device, like an iPod or iPod?

Also, are you on a Mac or a Windows PC? And what format and resolution is your original video?

• 3. Re:  Sharing for PC playback
              memark3 Level 1

Hi Stevethanks for the responseand so fast too!  They're MOV files, 640x480and yes, it's just for PC viewing.  I understand the process for going to the Share panel & choosing output for computer & then choosing AVCHD (I assume?)it's choosing the preset where I don't have a clue. thanks--Mark   Re: Sharing for PC playback created by Steve Grisetti in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion Are you asking how to output a video for viewing on a computer? If so, is this literally how you will use it? Just sit at a computer and watch it? Or do you plan to display it online or on a portable device, like an iPod or iPod? Also, are you on a Mac or a PC? And what format and resolution is your original video?

• 4. Re:  Sharing for PC playback

Sorry. I can't help you if you won't answer my questions and give me more details.

What model of camcorder is your original video from and what format and resolution is it?

• 5. Re:  Sharing for PC playback
                  memark3 Level 1

I'm confused-- I thought I did answer your questions, which I sent through Reply on the email but I see here it did get posted-- but there is a line through some of what I wrote, I don't know what that's about--so to reiterate, . . . .

"Hi Steve thanks for the response and so fast too!  They're MOV files, 640x480 and yes, it's just for PC viewing.  I understand the process for going to the Share panel & choosing output for computer & then choosing AVCHD (I assume?) it's choosing the preset where I don't have a clue. thanks--Mark"

It's off of a Lumix DMC-ZS7, which is a regular camera but takes pretty good vids.

• 6. Re:  Sharing for PC playback
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

It looks like your e-mail program is adding the Strikethrough for some reason.

With that Lumix, and some other stills cameras, that also do video, a non-standard format is used. Rather than changing to an SD (Standard Definition) non-square pixel format, the camera just leaves the pixels square, like for the Still Images. That does not work perfectly in PrE, through version 10, as the Project Presets are built around the standard SD video specs.

Perhaps PrE 11 will include that 640 x 480 PAR=1.0 format, as there are more stills cameras producing Videos in that format. PrPro allows one to create Sequences (think Project Timelines, which can be different in a Project), with Custom Frame Sizes and Custom PAR's. Unfortunately, to date, PrE does not allow that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re:  Sharing for PC playback
                      memark3 Level 1

thanks for the responsesorry about the strikethroughyet another digital mystery to me . . . Anyway, I kinda get what you're sayingthe gist being that the exact right preset is not there.  However, on the test bit I did, which I formatted as one of the mpeg presets, it did work (though not in Quicktime, just Windows Media Player)& looked not so bad, to boot.  So that suggests to me that while the "correct" one isn't there, there is probably a best choice among the many choices that are there, and that is my question--which should I choose for this particular clip? Going forward, this camera gives other format choices that you may advise me as being wiser choices to use.  If so, can you please tell me which preset to select when doing a final save if I make a movie compiled from those clips?:   WVGA: 848 x 480 pixels, 30 fps (Motion JPEG)And a thing they call "AVCHD Lite", whose specs read: -- SH: 17Mbps /H:13Mbps /L:9Mbps ) / 30fps (Motion JPEG)   1280x720 pixels, NTSC Mode: NTSC model: 60p(CCD output is 30p) thanks very much . . .

• 8. Re:  Sharing for PC playback

Does anyone have any idea why all of memark's topics have crossouts running through them?

Is he pressing the wrong button is maybe responding from a portable device or something that's screwing up the formatting? I can barely read his posts!

• 9. Re:  Sharing for PC playback
                          memark3 Level 1

hey Steve-- I myself certainly have no idea about the strikethroughs-- I'll try writing from the Forum rather than Replying through email, maybe that'll work.  Can you make out the last posting or do you need me to retype it?  Mark

• 10. Re:  Sharing for PC playback

That's better. What model of camcorder/camera are you shooting with?

You will not get good results shooting MJPEG -- but one of the other options might work, especially if it shoots in true AVCHD Lite.

• 11. Re:  Sharing for PC playback
                              memark3 Level 1

OK, hopefully this will work--here's the info I gave previously: 

I'm using a Lumix DMC-ZS7 which, on the small test I did, was set to 640x480 & is a MOV file.  I formatted kinda randomly as one of the mpeg presets, and it did work (though not in Quicktime, just Windows Media Player) & it looked not so bad, to boot.  Though from Bill's response from which I gather that there's no "correct" preset to match this, it does suggest that while the "correct" one isn't there, there is probably a best choice among the many choices that are there, and that is my question--which should I choose for this particular clip at this resolution?  Both for quality & cross-platform usability?

2. Going forward, this camera gives other format choices that you may advise me as being wiser choices to use.  If so, can you please tell me, depending on which setting you advise me to shoot at, which preset to select when doing a final save if I make a movie compiled from those clips?:   WVGA: 848 x 480 pixels, 30 fps (Motion JPEG).     And a thing they call "AVCHD Lite", whose specs read: -- SH: 17Mbps /H:13Mbps /L:9Mbps ) / 30fps (Motion JPEG)   1280x720 pixels, NTSC Mode: NTSC model: 60p(CCD output is 30p)

thanks very much . . .

• 12. Re:  Sharing for PC playback

Shoot in AVCHD Lite and, when you set up your Premiere Elements project, select the project settings for AVCHD Lite and you should get much better results.

Obviously, your video is not going to look perfect at full screen on a computer no matter what output settings you use. Your monitor is likely larger than 1280x720. But you should then be able to output using Share/Disc/WMV setting your output for 1280x720 using the Advanced settings.

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re:  Sharing for PC playback
                                  MightyDanceMom

If I share the movie for playback on a PC will I still be able to upload the same file to YouTube at a later date?

• 14. Re:  Sharing for PC playback
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I would test your H.264 output file, and see how it uploads.

This FAQ Entry has some good tips on Youtube: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/623549?tstart=0

Note: Google/YouTube has recently offered expanded accounts, but when PrE 10 was written, the 10 min. Duration limit was still in force. That might change with PrE 11, but then Google/YouTube might offer "super-expanded" accounts by then? If you have any problems with the direct upload to YouTube, just Share, then manually upload to your account.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re:  Sharing for PC playback

The settings Bill linked you to would also be perfect for your viewing the video on your computer, so they'd serve a double duty.

• 16. Re:  Sharing for PC playback
                                        memark3 Level 1

Hi Steve-- I just now had time to try out your recommendation--and I will in the future shoot in AVCHD Lite--but for the existing mpeg stuff--I could not find the settings you recommended.  ("Obviously, your video is not going to look perfect at full screen on a computer no matter what output settings you use. Your monitor is likely larger than 1280x720. But you should then be able to output using Share/Disc/WMV setting your output for 1280x720 using the Advanced settings.")  Firstly, I took this to be your answer to my question of how best to save mpegs, not AVCHD Lite, am I right there?  Under Share/Disc I couldn't find any WMV settings whatsoever in any of the choices, nor was there any Advanced option.  Under Share/Computer there is the Advanced option--but again, I couldn't find a WMV setting.  1280x720 I did find under the Share/Computer/mpeg presets, as a couple HD 720 options & three HDTV 720 options.  If indeed one of those is the best choice--which one?  Or is your original suggestion still the one, with its non-obvious location to be revealed?  (by the way, I've got v10.0).

Question 2-- when I do start using the AVCHD lite, is there any one preset you can advise as the best one to use?

Thanks again--Mark