7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2012 9:00 AM by conroy

Smart objects

davidkrock

When I open a raw file it automatically converts to a smart object. After processing and merging I am unable to print anything other than the original object. What might I be doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Smart objects
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

davidkrock wrote:

When I open a raw file it automatically converts to a smart object. After processing and merging I am unable to print anything other than the original object. What might I be doing wrong?

Automatic conversion to a smart object layer is not the normal operation as far as I know.  You normally have to do something like hold down the shift key and click on open object button to have ACR embed the RAW file into a smart object layer. Without the shift key the button is open image and ACR will  put the RAW conversion into Photoshop's background layer.

Please explain "After processing and merging I am unable to print anything other than the original object. " what your wrote in more detail for Photoshop normally prints the visible composit document view.

• 2. Re: Smart objects
            davidkrock Level 1

J.J.

I am a novice to photoshop in general, however what seems to be happening

is when I open a raw image it opens up in CS6 where I begin to add

adjustment layers. All is fine until I go to " merge visible" and proceed

to print. At this point I am only able to print the original image without

any of the changes, even though my screen is showing the image that I want

to print. I finally went back to CS5 and replicated the process and my

print came out as expected. I was wondering why it automatically converts

to a smart image. Is there a way to turn that function off until I master

the functionality?

Thanks for responding.

• 3. Re: Smart objects
              Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

In the camera raw dialog under Workflow options (bottom middle of the camera raw dialog) see if you have

Open in Photoshop as Smart Objects checked.

• 4. Re: Smart objects
                Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That shouldn't effect whats happening. It sounds like the printer is printing from a buffer. Otherwise what he sees on screen should be whats printed.

But on the other hand we don't see what he sees. soo...

• 5. Re: Smart objects
                  davidkrock Level 1

JJ,

Thanks for the reply. I have read all of the tips and it seems that at the bottom of the open raw image there is a highlighted url outlining the setting of the image. When I click on that a box opens with those setting and a check box for open as smart object. And sure enough it was checked. Thanks for clearing up that for me. I was pulling out my hair yesterday trying to find out how to to correct this issue. Agian thanks to all who responded.

David

• 6. Re: Smart objects
                    davidkrock Level 1

R-Kelly,

Exactly the solution. Thanks for responding. Great help.

David

• 7. Re: Smart objects
                      conroy Level 5

Note that the Shift key inverts the behaviour of the "open" button - see it change between "Open Image" and "Open Object".

Also, hold down Option/Alt to see the button become "Open Copy".