6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2012 9:39 PM by asokanon

converter outputs static or black images

asokanon

Hello, I have raf files from a finepix s100fs. When I try to use the dng converter it completes "sucessfully", but the images are either completly black, or black with a bar of static somewhere in the image. This is supposed to be a supported camera so I am at a loss as to why I cannot do the conversion.

• 1. Re: converter outputs static or black images
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What software (and what version) do you intend to use to work on the DNG files?  Have you set your compatibility options appropriately in the DNG converter?

• 2. Re: converter outputs static or black images
            asokanon Level 1

I am just trying to convert them from the raf format to dng so that they will be more universally supported, eventually I would like to use them in motion. I have not adjusted any settings, just using the defaults. I open the converter, point it to a folder of raf files and click convert. It suceeds, but the resulting dng files are just black screens when viewed in preview and/or finder.

• 3. Re: converter outputs static or black images
              Level 5

asokanon wrote:

…but the resulting dng files are just black screens when viewed in preview and/or finder.

What happens when you view them in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom or Adobe Photoshop Elements?

I'm not sure the DNGs, as converted by you (DNG version number set in the conversion settings do matter), are supported by Apple's Preview and/or Finder.   That's what Jim Hess is referencing when he types "Have you set your compatibility options appropriately in the DNG converter?"

What exact version of OS X are you running?

• 4. Re: converter outputs static or black images
                asokanon Level 1

I think that I have figured it out between the comments recieved here and a little experimentation. Basically it is an apple camera raw issue...seems like the list of cameras they support keeps getting smaller while the adobe one keeps getting bigger. I capture raw images using dragonframe. I was hoping to convert the files to dng so that I could import the sequence into motion, but it would appear as though apple is pretty stingy about what can use the dng format. Based on what I have read, Aperture is the only apple prgram that can use the dng, so it would appear as though I am out of luck until it comes time to upgrade the camera.

I really feel kind of silly now for not having thought of this sooner, thanks to all

• 5. Re: converter outputs static or black images
                  Level 5

Once a camera model is supported in a given version of ACR and DNG Converter, it continues to be supported in all subsequent versions of Camera Raw and of DNG Converter.

Are you now referring to Apple's applications other than Aperture?

• 6. Re: converter outputs static or black images
                    asokanon Level 1

Yes, basically my camera works with everything adobe and nothing apple. Even aperture it would seem can open the dng but not display it. My solution has been to dump aperture and the dng converter altogether and just use lightroom for raw processing. Much smoother, works with everything and speeds my workflow up considerably.

Thanks again