16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2013 8:14 PM by Kranex1

Mercury Support for NVIDIA Quadro K5000M

Brad_Stone

On the Mercury Playback Engine compatibility web page, I see support for the NVIDIA Quadro 5000M.  Does this mean that the newer Quadro K5000M is also supported?

I am in the market for a new notebook computer and I am addicted to NVIDIA cards that support the Mercury Playback Engine in Premiere Pro.  I am looking at the Dell M6700 with the NVIDIA Quadro K5000M.  However, I don't want to spend $6000 on this computer, install Premiere Pro (I will be installing CS6), fire up Premiere Pro and then see a bunch of yellow lines on my sequence timelines because it doesn't support the Mercury Playback Engine.  I like pretty green lines that mean I can do real time effect rendering.  :^)

What is the word?

• 1. Re: Mercury Support for NVIDIA Quadro K5000M
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If the card is not listed at http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html that means Adobe has not tested & certified

For "some" others, with at least 1Gig of video ram, use the nVidia Hack http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629557 - which is a simple entry in a "supported cards" file

As to if-or-when it will be added to the list... I doubt that anyone here knows

• 2. Re: Mercury Support for NVIDIA Quadro K5000M
            Brad_Stone Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

Per Adobe's recommendation, I just posted the following on their wishlist page.  Hopefully we will see a resolution soon.

*******Enhancement / FMR*********

Brief title for your desired feature: Mercury Playback Engine support for NVIDIA Quadro K5000M (4GB) video card.

How would you like the feature to work? Please add support for this video card so that I can get real time effect rendering in the timeline.

Why is this feature important to you? It is soooo much easier to see the effects rendered in real time rather than having to render sections of the video.

I am pretty sure that this video card (one of NVIDIAs newest and most powerful mobile card) will work today, but I would love confirmation before I spend $6000 on a new notebook computer. 

• 3. Re: Mercury Support for NVIDIA Quadro K5000M
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Brian Hammerhead wrote:

On the Mercury Playback Engine compatibility web page, I see support for the NVIDIA Quadro 5000M.  Does this mean that the newer Quadro K5000M is also supported?

I like pretty green lines that mean I can do real time effect rendering.  :^)

Brian, I do not want you to be disappointed but with any CUDA card it will not turn the red lines to green, with MPE/CUDA assisted effects and features the red lines turn to yellow for real time playback which is perfect.  If you want to turn red and yellow lines to green you have to render the work area.

The yellow lines mean the GPU will be used in the encoding process on the MPE assisted effects and features and will generally give you faster than real time.  I have a 80 second AVCHD 60i clip with very, very heavy usage of MPE/CUDA accelerated effects and on my i7-980X at 4.2 GHz with 24 GB of RAM and a GTX 680 it takes only 10 seconds to encode to MPEG2-DVD 24fps (without the GPU, CPU only) it takes 284 seconds

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

• 4. Re: Mercury Support for NVIDIA Quadro K5000M
                Brad_Stone Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for the correction.  When I said "Yellow to Green" I meant "Red to Yellow".

Thanks also for your real life example of the benefits of using a CUDA video card.

I am pretty sure that the NVIDIA Quadro 5000M with 4GB video RAM and DDR5 memory will work with the Mercury Playback Engine if I figure out the exact text to use to modify the supported cards text file.  However, I just don't want to find out after buying the computer that it doesn't work for some quirky reason.

• 5. Re: Mercury Support for NVIDIA Quadro K5000M

Brian Hammerhead wrote:

Bill,

Thanks also for your real life example of the benefits of using a CUDA video card.

I am pretty sure that the NVIDIA Quadro 5000M with 4GB video RAM and DDR5 memory will work with the Mercury Playback Engine if I figure out the exact text to use to modify the supported cards text file.  However, I just don't want to find out after buying the computer that it doesn't work for some quirky reason.

Brian,

the example is not exactly real life.  It is a more or less an extreme example done to demonstrate and test the GPU.  You may never have that many demanding MPE GPU effects and features in your work

How you find the exact test to put into the "cuda_supported_cards.txt" file is to run the Adobe file "GPUSiffer.exe" in a cmd window as shown below

GPUSniffer.jpg

See on the bottom "Name:"

Also remember anythime you do an update of Premiere you will have to redo the change.

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

• 6. Re: Mercury Support for NVIDIA Quadro K5000M
                    Kranexl1

This is the flagship CUDA graphics card from Nvidia, I'm pretty sure it's supported. Besides, its listed in the Adobe white-paper. You really only have to worry about compatibility when the card is older, or bottom level.

Since Dell, Adobe and Nvidia are all parteners, they do extensive testing before these products are released. That's  how they can give you their certification. They know these are professional products for professionals that need things to work as promised. 

• 7. Re: Mercury Support for NVIDIA Quadro K5000M
                      terri's fav

This is the flagship CUDA graphics card from Nvidia, I'm pretty sure it's supported.

No. It is not supported but it will run if you add "Quadro K5000M" to the cuda_supported_cards.txt file. You have to check with GPU sniffer whether it is spelled "Quadro K5000M" or "Quadro K 5000M", like Bill told you.

• 8. Re: Mercury Support for NVIDIA Quadro K5000M
                        Brad_Stone Level 1

Envelope please ... and the answer is ...

My new Dell M6700 arrived yesterday and I installed CS6 on it today.  When I ran Premiere Pro CS6, I found that the only option that I had was "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only".

I ran gpusniffer:

Windows Menu > Type "CMD" in the box

cd "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS6"

gpusniffer.exe

gpusniffer.jpg

So, the name is : Quadro K5000M

Next, I edited the cuda_supported_cards.txt file:

Open C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS6\cuda_supported_cards.txt in Notepad.

Add a line at the very end that says "Quadro K5000M"

Save the file to your desktop.

Exit Notepad.

Drag the file into the folder C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS6\

Replace the existing file.

Acknowlege that you want to do this as Administrator.

Then I ran Premiere Pro CS6 once again.

This time I had the option for "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Accelerati..."!

I haven't yet copied over my project files so I can't test the performance yet, but it looks promising. 

This card has a whale of a lot of horsepower, so I hope to be amazed.

I hope that this thread will help others.

• 9. Re: Mercury Support for NVIDIA Quadro K5000M
                          cullyeefas

Did it work? I just got one in a HP 8770w and after days of time w/ Tech & making adjustments I was told last night the card will not run CS6 Premiere. This is directly from HP - a Tech Supervisor in fact. I waited a month + for the 8770w to arrrive. it has 32G RAM, triple drives (one SSD & 2 SATA) and the K5000M.

This is NOT a video editing machine as advertised - I'm not sure what it's purpose is and am out $6600.00 and a ton of time.

• 10. Re: Mercury Support for NVIDIA Quadro K5000M

Welome to these forums!

cullyeefas wrote:

Did it work?

Yest it did work as he told you above, in this statement:

"This time I had the option for "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Accelerati..."!

Have you tried the above procedure and modified the "cuda supported_cards.txt" file.  The HP person very likely just not did know about this procedure as Adobe does not advertise it.  

When you make this change go to our Premiere Pro BenchMark web site and run PPBM5.5 on our
                            CS6 system and we will add it to our our database of 1100 records of test results

• 11. Re: Mercury Support for NVIDIA Quadro K5000M
                              Brad_Stone Level 1

Sorry to hear about your experience.  When I was considering a replacement laptop, I had it down to the HP 8770w and the Dell M6700.  Both looked like good machines and my previous computer was a HP 8730w (previous version of the workstation class).  In the end, the Dell seemed like the better machine.

It sounds like I made the right choice.  After making the change to the supported cards text file, Premiere Pro CS6 has worked flawlessly on the Dell M6700.  My configuration has a SSD primary drive for speed and a large hybrid SSD secondary drive to store media files.  I have 16 GB RAM.  It is a beast of a machine and I have yet to throw a task at it that has caused it to sweat.  I am not the most demanding Premiere Pro user, but I have yet to see a red bar in the timeline.

It just works.

• 12. Re: Mercury Support for NVIDIA Quadro K5000M
                                Alex - DV411 Level 2

Did it work? I just got one in a HP 8770w and after days of time w/ Tech & making adjustments I was told last night the card will not run CS6 Premiere. This is directly from HP - a Tech Supervisor in fact.

Did the tech supervisor modify the "cuda_supported_cards.txt" file as described above?

If not, and you prefer not to do it yourself, I'll be happy to do it for you at no charge (or feel free to buy me a cappuccino): install TeamViewer; message me so we could figure out the best time to do it, and then with your permission (and with you watching) I'll do the necessary modification to enable GPU acceleration on your laptop.

• 13. Re: Mercury Support for NVIDIA Quadro K5000M
                                  cullyeefas Level 1

I did the Text edit & dropped it in. No problems. The bigger issue was a bad BIOS from HP that was screwing up everthing. That & some old drivers made for an unusually interesting experience.

Once the machine was reset to factory specs - all was fine & CS6 now moves faster than I have ever seen it before. This is what I wanted, and why I configured this 8770w. Do I wish it arrrived with 64 bit OS? Sure, but now I am intimately familiar with both the OS & HP's config. Intimately familiar..........lol. I did not know you need to remove SATA drives if a SSD is present, and the target drive for the OS. Targeting the SSD w/ the SATAs present was overwritten by WIN & it dumped the OS on the SATA.

HP now has the Text edit in their system in reference to these cards. I would have applied this hack earlier - but the OS freaking out & screens changing & flashing led me to believe there were larger issues to tackle first.

Thanks for all the inout & feedback.

• 14. Re: Mercury Support for NVIDIA Quadro K5000M
                                    cullyeefas Level 1

Just got word directly from Nvidia that the K5000m is NOT certified for GPU acceration in Premiere CS6. They apologised but said it's Adobes call to add the card.

The card works w/ the Text hack - but I'm really surprised - makes no sense.

• 15. Re: Mercury Support for NVIDIA Quadro K5000M
                                      cullyeefas Level 1

To clarify this - the app picked up the card. PPCS6 will not run, it crashes every time I change the sequence setting from default to anything but.

• 16. Re: Mercury Support for NVIDIA Quadro K5000M
                                        Kranex1 Level 1

Whether Adobe has made it official or not it work!