2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2012 3:05 AM by Peter Spier

InDesign 5.5 crashes on PDF export

set solid

Hello,

I am having a problem with a file- it's a presentation and has been created in InDesign 5.5. The file is functioning correctly, with no errors, no bad links etc.

We present the file on-screen as a PDF which is exported on the high quality print setting from the pdf export menu. When I choose this option the background task takes over, but InDesign then crashes and the PDF is corrupted.

Here is the crash report: http://pastebin.com/UMzgKwp9

So far I have tried

1, exporting to IMDL - opening IMDL and exporting to PDF (crashed)

2, opening another file (opened and exported fine)

3, restarting and trying process again (same result)

4, copied files locally and tried again with .indd and .imdl (same result both times)

5, I asked another designer who is running 5.0 to open the IMDL file (he could but most of the linked .indd files (letterheads, brochures etc) were unreadable - he opened the file and exported fine - but the file was missing all the linked .indd documents.

Any help is greatly appreciated, need to present this file to the client soon.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

• 1. Re: InDesign 5.5 crashes on PDF export
          set solid Level 1

By trial and error I seem to have located four pages where something in the placed file is causing it to crash. The placed file has some effects (outer glow and drop shadow) applied, and the file has some more effects when it is placed in the presentation (drop shadow).

Anyone had issues with this before, I am beginning to suspect that it is the effects that are acusing the crash.

Work-around solution so far is export all pages (up to the offending four) as a PDF, then export the four pages as a PDF, then export the pages remaining as another PDF. Then open pdf files and combine them.

Just in ase anyone else has this issue and needs a quick and dirty patch up. Sigh…

Also, trying to download and install the 7.5.3 update = nightmare. The adobe updater won't run the file (claims there is another update running, there isn't) downloaded the dmg directly - can't mount it!

Disappointing.

• 2. Re: InDesign 5.5 crashes on PDF export
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Well, you do need the update. I'd try a reboot to clear the system, then try downloading again.

In the meantime, the crash looks to me like a problem with an .eps file someplace. You can try exporting in the foreground, too, by creating a Book file, then adding this  to it and exporting the book.