2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2012 6:28 AM by Stu S

First time build check, with some questions

Stu S Level 1

After much back & forth, I’m about to take the plunge and do my own build.  It seems similar to many others here have done, and is pretty close to the VideoGuys DIY build, but it’s my first time and I do have a few questions, so I thought I’d post and get comments.  Here are my specs:

Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Unbeatable Gaming Case

ASUS P9X79 PRO LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS

Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73930K

EVGA 04G-P4-2673-KR GeForce GTX 670 Superclocked+ w/Backplate 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular PSU

Intel BXRTS2011LC Liquid-cooled Thermal Solution For the LGA2011 Socket

VANTEC 2+1 FireWire 800/400 PCIe Combo Host Card Model UGT-FW210 (Ti chipset)

1 Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drives (media drive)

1 Western Digital Caviar Black  1 TB 7200 rpm SATA 3.0 (Boot drive)

1 Hitachi 7200rpm 1 TB SATA 3.0 (renders and exports)

1. 64 GBof Crucial RAM - 8GB 240-pin DIMM  DDR3 PC3-12800

• CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V • 1024Meg x 64 •

I plan on overclocking using the ASUS auto overclock feature.  From what I’ve read 4.3 seems to be a reliable speed to shoot for.  The videos I’ve watched on the auto overclocking with the UEFI interface look straightforward.

I’m going to use the 670 to power 2 editing monitors via DVI, and an ASUS P24A6 via HDMI as a client monitor.

For the foreseeable future, I’ll be editing AVCHD footage.  Don’t do much motion gfx work, mainly cuts & dissolves, with a fair amount of color correction & grading applied.  How does this system look to do with this configuration with this workflow?

Also, any feedback on cooling appreciated.  It looks like the Noctura has some compatibility issues with this board fully populated with Crucial RAM, so I’m going with the Intel liquid cooler, which looks easy to install and was recommended by ADK.  With this case and this cooler, will I be good or is there any other type of cooling I should add to cool the RAM or the PSU?

Anything else I’m missing?  Thanks much to all who post here.  Special thanks to ADK, their participation here is invaluable and the advice they gave me was much appreciated.  Were this system my main source of income, I’d buy from them for sure.

• 1. Re: First time build check, with some questions
          JEShort01 Level 4

Stu,

Looks like you have done a lot of work for this to be your first pass here as a build list; there is a lot more that looks right than wrong.

Regarding how is this system for your workflow? This PC would certainly do what you want it to do.

Regarding cooling, RAM and PSU will be fine.

Regarding is anything missing, yes a Blu-ray burner.

You did not state whether you want to A) build this and leave it alone for years, or B) make some upgrades in the future. If B), I only have a suggestion for your RAM choice. If A), I do have some suggested tweaks to how you spend your budget for this build.

You've heard it here before, but it is so true that Adobe has mastered the ability to tax just about all of your PC components (cpu, RAM, bus, drives, and video card) with Premiere Pro CS5 and above in order to make HD editing fast and fun. This makes balance important and in some ways a system is only as strong as its weakest link.

Your current plans strike me as:

CPU = A+, RAM = A+++ on paper, but possibly a bad idea, Drives = B-, GPU = A-.

My only strong suggestion is to go for 32GB of 1600 RAM. You want to do a moderately strong OC on the CPU and the memory controller of the 3930k is not strong enough to pull this off.

Minor suggestions: A) more drives - go for at least one 2x1TB RAID 0 array for media, projects, and scratch (adding one more drive). B) SSD for boot - for spending as much as you are here, I think your build deserves a 128GB SSD for the boot/OS drive - no this will not help after Premiere Pro has started and you are editing, but it will make the PC faster for lots of other things that most users do.

Regards,

Jim

• 2. Re: First time build check, with some questions
            Stu S Level 1

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply.  Some follow up questions:

So you think with the 3930, I'd get better performance/stability with only 32gb of the crucial RAM?

On the SSD, I've gone back and forth.  I also use the boot drive for storage, so I was thinking the 1tb would come in handy, but I guess I can always pop in another HD if I need it.  In that case, it would most likely be a Crucial M4 that I'd use.  Sound correct?

On the 2x1TB RAID 0, would there be a significant performance benefit?  I've gone back and forth about this too, and thought about RAID0 for media and projects, but in allowing for the time for disciplined backup, I haven't determined the cost/benefit.  Thoughts?

In answer to your question about my plans for the system, it's most likely A, build it and use it for the next couple of years as is, maybe adding a BMD card at some point.

Also, forgot to list it, but here's the BR drive I'm planning on.

ASUS Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS

Thanks,

Stu