3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2012 9:13 AM by sinious

importing FLV files results in a black screen when on stage

smks89

importing FLV files results in a black screen when on stage. Why is this happening? I have an swf file I then convert it using swf to video converter. I then import video and when it is embedded onto the stage it results in a black screen with no evidence of footage. This occurs even when I play the swf.

The file when converted works fine when I open it with a media player so this evidently suggests that flash is having a problem.

• 1. Re: importing FLV files results in a black screen when on stage
          sinious Most Valuable Participant

FLV supports transparency so I've found this sort of issue to be a codecs conversion glitch in the alpha channel department.

Although I'm curious why you're taking a SWF, converting to video and then reimporting into flash when you could just display the SWF itself. Is the performance of the SWF poor? Are you using fonts/etc a user might not have?

Have you tried importing the SWF you want to convert into video directly into flash and using File->Export->Export Movie to create the movie? Then you can create a standard uncompressed movie (e.g. Quicktime Animation Millions+ Alpha) and convert it to a MP4 which would play better, unless FLV is required for some reason.

• 2. Re: importing FLV files results in a black screen when on stage
            smks89 Level 1

Thanks for the feedback. I want it as flv to make the timeline look clean. There is a lot of tweens and such and just preferred to have an flv movie on 1 layer.

I just do not understand why a format of adobe designed to import to flash does not work. This is a big problem and there must be something going wrong. When i look at previews in library it looks scrambled. I never had such a problem in the past?

• 3. Re: importing FLV files results in a black screen when on stage
              sinious Most Valuable Participant

The SWF->Video converter is most certainly at fault for your issues. That's why I feel you should either use ActionScript to import the SWF to play it or import it once into a new document and export it as a video directly from flash. I've used FLV for a very long time and I've seen plenty of issues. It is no easy task to convert a SWF to a video. I think it makes more sense to let Adobe do the work it's designed to do.