23 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2012 1:43 AM by station_two

Unable to open Camera Raw 6.7 from Bridge CS5

transmission92

I am unable to view the RAW images that were taken on my D90 in Bridge CS5. They show up blank with the Camera Raw logo in the center and "NEF" in the upper left hand corner. This is the first time this problem has occured because I was (and still) able to view RAW images taken from my old D40. I have tried everything including updating my Camera Raw to version 6.7.0.339, but to no avail! I have no error messages, btw. I am operating Bridge and Photoshop CS5 on Windows 7 (32-bit). I found this thread, and it seems extremely helpful, but it's for Mac users: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2842306

• 1. Re: Unable to open Camera Raw 6.7 from Bridge CS5
          Level 5

First ting you need to do is to make sure the Camera Raw plug-in is installed in the correct location and that you only have one such Camera Raw Plug-in.  In Photoshop go to to About Plug-in >Camera Raw… and see what version shows up there.  It should be 6.7.x and there should be only one instance of Camera Raw.

Once that is done, launch Bridge and, within Bridge, go to the Tools Menu and Purge the Cache for each offending folder.

You should be able to see and open the images now.

• 2. Re: Unable to open Camera Raw 6.7 from Bridge CS5
            Level 5

After re-reading your post, I feel pretty confident that you'll be able to see and open the D90 files once you have purged the Bridge cache for every folder in which you have stored D90 files.

You can also use the central Purge Cache Command in Preferences, but at least on the Mac, my experience is that the cache rebuilds better and faster if you do it through the Tools menu.

• 3. Re: Unable to open Camera Raw 6.7 from Bridge CS5
              transmission92 Level 1

The Purge Cache For This Folder option is unavailable in Bridge CS5. I checked my version of Camera Raw and it is 6.7.0.339. What exactly does it mean to "purge the cache" of a folder? I right clicked on the NEF files and they have a "Purge Cache for Selection" option. Not sure how that will work or if it is the same thing... Succinctly, how do I check where Camera Raw is installed in only one place?

• 4. Re: Unable to open Camera Raw 6.7 from Bridge CS5
                Level 5

transmission92 wrote:

The Purge Cache For This Folder option is unavailable in Bridge CS5

Sigh…

No, it is not.  Look again:

PurgeCacheFolder.png

"Purge Cache for Selection", means doing it one or more selected images.  Very slow going.

"Purge the cache for folder "xxxxyyyy" " does it for the whole folder.

As I said above, you can also use the central Purge Cache Command in Preferences, but at least on the Mac, my experience is that the cache rebuilds better and faster if you do it through the Tools menu.

Check the Help files to learn a bit more about the application.  Keep in mind we are all users like you in these user to user forums, volunteering to help each other.  You are not addressing Adobe here.

• 5. Re: Unable to open Camera Raw 6.7 from Bridge CS5
                  Level 5

transmission92 wrote:

…Succinctly, how do I check where Camera Raw is installed in only one place?

Succinctly, in the menu item About plug-in > Camera Raw…

I told you so in the very first paragraph of post #1:

First thing you need to do is to make sure the Camera Raw plug-in is installed in the correct location and that you only have one such Camera Raw Plug-in.  In Photoshop go to to About Plug-in >Camera Raw… and see what version shows up there.  It should be 6.7.x and there should be only one instance of Camera Raw.

I really don't know how to tell you more clearly.  Sorry.

• 6. Re: Unable to open Camera Raw 6.7 from Bridge CS5
                    transmission92 Level 1

I know what you mean, but it does NOT let me click on it. Here's what I mean:

cache.jpg

And as you can see, there are no previews for NEF files. Instead, they show up blank. I've checked my version of Camera Raw and it's 6.7.0.339:

raw.jpg

The plug-in also seems to be installed in the correct location:

camraw.jpg

I've been trying to diagnose the problem for days now, but nothing seems to be working.

• 7. Re: Unable to open Camera Raw 6.7 from Bridge CS5
                      Level 5

All you need to do now is to refresh (purge) the cache.  Everything is fine with your install.

That the right version of the ACR Plug-in is installed in the correct location is proven by the screen shot of the "About Camera Raw" splash screen.  It would not show up in "About Plug-in" if it were not in the correct location.

I also take it only one instance of Camera Raw shows up in your list. 

I see absolutely nothing in your first screen shot that would prevent you from sliding your mouse over to the "Purge Cache for This Folder" menu command and then letting go of the mouse.  That's all it takes.  That menu item does not appear to be grayed out.  The only thing that is not clear is whether you do in fact have a folder selected.

The reason you see the generic NEF icons without preview is that the cache for that folder was built when you still had an older version of ACR that did not support your camera.  That's why the cache needs to be purged (refreshed) now.

Humor me for a second and perform the following experiment:  Select all the generic icons you see in the Content panel in Bridge and right-click on them in order to call the "Purge Cache for Selection" command you had discovered earlier and mentioned in a previous post.  You should see the icons turn into thumbnails before your eyes.

Now you can just use the "Purge Cache for this Folder" command on any other folder containing generic NEF icons without having to select the individual icons at all.

If you already have a bunch of folders harboring generic NEF icons, go ahead and use the central Purge Cache command in Bridge preferences to purge the entire Bridge cache on your disk in one fell swoop.

Hope this helps. Let me know.

Message was edited by: station_two

• 8. Re: Unable to open Camera Raw 6.7 from Bridge CS5
                        Level 5

Of course, this also implies that any new image files you load on your machine in the future, after purging the cache, will automatically be fine.

• 9. Re: Unable to open Camera Raw 6.7 from Bridge CS5
                          transmission92 Level 1

I would be lying to you if I said I could purge the cache for my folders. The option to Purge Cache for This Folder IS grayed out. What perplexes me the most is that Bridge and Photoshop CS5 SHOULD have supported NEF files from my D90, given that it was version 6.0 of Camera Raw that was already installed prior to the 6.7.0.339 update, and the minimum version for D90 was 4.6.

The Purge Cache for Selection also doesn't work. It grants me the option of clicking it (not grayed out), but it doesn't turn into thumbnails after I purge them via this option. It remains the same, generic NEF icons.

What do you mean when you say "I also take it only one instance of Camera Raw shows up in your list."

Also, I don't understand what you mean by "The only thing that is not clear is whether you do in fact have a folder selected." The folder I am in is 100NCD90.

Lastly, I've noticed something. If you refer back to my very last screenshot, it says that the version of Camera Raw was last modified on 4/20/2012 at 8:03 AM. I've never installed any updates for Camera Raw up until 9/1/2012. Shouldn't it be 9/1/2012? This leads me to believe that the plug-in might be installed elsewhere...

• 10. Re: Unable to open Camera Raw 6.7 from Bridge CS5
                            Level 5

Easy one first:

If the Camera Raw plug-in were not in the right place, it would NOT show up in the About Plug-in list.  Period.

Besides, one of your screen shots shows it in the right place.

Do not worry about that any longer.

========================

Next:

You do have something messed up, with so many things grayed out. 

Try the following:  Quit (i.e. "exit") both Photoshop and Bridge.  You're now going to refresh the preference settings for both applications.  That's a very good thing.

First, hold down Control + Alt + Shift IMMEDIATELY after launching Photoshop untilm you see a dialog box giving you choices to delete or re-set stuff.  Click YES to all.

Second, Hold down the Alt key as you re-launch Bridge until you get a dialog box asking you to confirm.  Click YES or OK.

With both applications rummimg, PURGE the Cache in Bridge by ant of the three methods you have discussed.

If this doesn't fix things, then you don't have an Adobe issue but a more profound Windows OS issue, with which I can no longer help.

Good luck.

• 11. Re: Unable to open Camera Raw 6.7 from Bridge CS5
                              Level 5

One last thing:

RE-BOOT your PC before and after doing all of the above.

• 12. Re: Unable to open Camera Raw 6.7 from Bridge CS5
                                Level 5

transmission92 wrote:

...What do you mean when you say "I also take it only one instance of Camera Raw shows up in your list."...

EXACTLY what it says: you only see Camera Raw listed once in that list.

• 13. Re: Unable to open Camera Raw 6.7 from Bridge CS5
                                  Level 5

transmission92 wrote:

...Lastly, I've noticed something. If you refer back to my very last screenshot, it says that the version of Camera Raw was last modified on 4/20/2012 at 8:03 AM. I've never installed any updates for Camera Raw up until 9/1/2012...

The mofification date reflects the last time the ACR development team worked on that version. 

• 14. Re: Unable to open Camera Raw 6.7 from Bridge CS5
                                    transmission92 Level 1

The problem persists... Not only does it not show thumbnails, it seems to not recognize ANYTHING from the NEF file. Here's what I mean:

bridgeee.jpg

It says that is is a "binary document" and shows absolutely nothing in terms of data such as ISO, lens used, etc. Could the problem be the SDHC card used? I tried taking NEF files on two other SD cards, and the thumbnails for those files show. The SDHC card used is a newly purchased SanDisk 8GB Extreme SDHC Memory Card. The other two cards where the NEF thumbnails show are SD cards, as mentioned.

• 15. Re: Unable to open Camera Raw 6.7 from Bridge CS5
                                      Level 5

As I said earlier, it's not an Adobe issue.  Your files are damaged, especially if you are able to see other images from the same camera.

What happened to the ".NEF" extension after the name of each of the files??!

If you have set Windows NOT to show the file extensions, that is one thing.  But if the extension was somehow stripped from the file name, that messed them up.  Try adding the ".NEF" extension to the file name, without the quotes but with the period.

Also see how big the files appear to be in Windows Explorers  If they are less than a few MB, then they are probably hopelessly corrupted.

• 16. Re: Unable to open Camera Raw 6.7 from Bridge CS5
                                        transmission92 Level 1

This has honestly lead me to believe that the problem is from the SDHC card. When I insert my two other SD cards into my D90 and shoot in RAW, I am able to view their thumbnails without any issues in Bridge. However, the problem arises when I insert my new SDHC card. I forgot to mention that I also used a card reader to see if I can view them, but the card reader doesn't recognize the SDHC card at all. When I insert the two other SD cards into the card reader, there are no problems and Bridge is able to display the NEF files as thumbnails WITH the ".NEF" extension. Again, I am convinced that the issue is from the card itself, which is a major dissapointment considering that this is a brand new card that is suppose to be better in terms of speed and overall performance....

• 17. Re: Unable to open Camera Raw 6.7 from Bridge CS5
                                          Level 5

Well, did you try adding .NEF to the files missing the extension?

• 20. Re: Unable to open Camera Raw 6.7 from Bridge CS5
                                            transmission92 Level 1

It doesn't allow any changes... They show up with the extension on my camera though....

• 21. Re: Unable to open Camera Raw 6.7 from Bridge CS5
                                              Level 5

What doesn't allow any changes?

Either in Windows Explorer or in Bridge you should be able to select (highlight) a file name and type a new one.

Just how comfortable do you feel using a computer?

• 22. Re: Unable to open Camera Raw 6.7 from Bridge CS5
                                                transmission92 Level 1

BOTH. Bridge disables it, while Explorer reverts back to the originial filename after the changes.