9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2012 3:50 PM by Inselfotograf

Corrupt files - Need Help - Graphic Update Mac Pro Nehalem

Inselfotograf

With my ATI Radeon HD 4870 I get corrupted files using Photoshop with large files (1-10GB and 20-80 layers in 16bit mode) quite often.

Sometimes it starts by making a gradient in a layer mask. Then all masks in all layers are affected and corrupt.

Going back in history does not solve the issue.

Sometimes its also in the pixel-layers.

Sometimes when using smartfilters.

But even when setting GPU usage to normal the issues would happen.

Apple Support/Apple technicians could nail down that it is the GPU of the card. Card already exchanged 2 times and issue is back again.

(Only once we could repair a damaged file - in that case the corruption took place in the render of an smart filter of an pixel-layer)

Now I want to upgrade.

Wanted to know if Photoshop CS6 - which I subscribe via Creative Cloud - would take full advantage of a Nvidia PNY VCQ4000MAC-PB Quadro card with my MacPro Nehalem.

Or if the ATI Radeon HD 5870 would be a better choice.

(For normal Retouch-Work - no 3D involved)

Thanks for any information....

• 1. Re: Corrupt files - Need Help - Graphic Update Mac Pro Nehalem
          Level 5

More info is needed (re the file corruption): machine specs, installed RAM, available free space exact version of the OS and of Photoshop, etc.

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers: 

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!

As for your other question, downloading the CS6 trial is the best way to see how the graphics card performs.

• 2. Re: Corrupt files - Need Help - Graphic Update Mac Pro Nehalem
            Inselfotograf Level 1

Sorry for not precisely naming my configuration.

I read a lot about Photoshop performance and the FAQs to problems with the GPU before I came here.

Mac Pro Nehalem (Early 2009)

2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Mac OSX 10.6.8

32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 (4x8GB)

120 GB SSD Startdisc with System and Programs

120 GB SSD Scratch-Disc Photoshop only

240 GB SSD Workingfiles

2TB HD TimeMachine

1TB HD Data

The RAM has been enlarged from 12GB to 32GB inbetween.

The first time it appeared under Photoshop CS5 extended 12.0.4 x64.

Since then, I deinstalled everything with the AdobeCreativeSuiteCleanerTool and have now CreativeCloud Photoshop CS6 extended installed.

When it happened again, I said Photoshop to only use normal GPU mode and reset the preferences.

That did not help.

It is only since yesterday that I did the actualisation to 13.0.1 x64.

I had the issues with both Photoshop versions.

The conclusion of the Apple technician was, that the ATI Radeon HD 4870 was producing that errors.

("As it is a gamingcard mainly, where faults were visible for only one frame in display, the card would is not so good to be used as GPU for calculations, that are more critical, like the ones used to build a picturefile.")

The Nvidia Quadro 4000 is said to have a verification of the calculations it does, and would not give wrong results.

In the Specs (FAQ about GPU) both cards are supported.

ButI am completely lost when it comes to these specs and search for experience with real life setups.

I am willing to spend the money for a graphics update - 830 Euros/900 US Dollars.

But I want to be shure the card is better in doing the calculations that non-3D functions demand in Photoshop CS6.

• 3. Re: Corrupt files - Need Help - Graphic Update Mac Pro Nehalem
              Curt Y Level 7

Not an expert here but many of the GPU problems are centered more on the driver issue than on the actual card.  I know with the Mac you are at the mercy of Apple and what it chooses to supply as an update.  The catalysist 12.4 and 12.6 had some problems in CS6, but it appears from comments here that 12.8 seems to be rather stable.

What version are you using?

• 4. Re: Corrupt files - Need Help - Graphic Update Mac Pro Nehalem
                Inselfotograf Level 1

ATI Radeon HD 4870:

Chipsatz-Modell:    ATI Radeon HD 4870

Typ:    GPU

Bus:    PCIe

Steckplatz:    Slot-1

PCIe-Lane-Breite:    x16

VRAM (gesamt):    512 MB

Hersteller:    ATI (0x1002)

Geräte-ID:    0x9440

Versions-ID:    0x0000

ROM-Version:    113-B7710F-176

EFI-Treiberversion:    01.00.318

The card is the standard entrylevel card that was included by Apple.

Since I purchased this mac pro 2 years ago, this is the third card.

I am not shure if there is a way to do a separate driver update alone.

It should not be necessary though.

• 5. Re: Corrupt files - Need Help - Graphic Update Mac Pro Nehalem
                  Curt Y Level 7

With such large file you VRAM of only 512mb could be a problem.  Most power users recommend min. 1 gig or preferably 2 gig.

These same power users don't feel that buying a card over $150 will gain you all that much.  Again it is the drivers and how often they are updated that is the key.

• 6. Re: Corrupt files - Need Help - Graphic Update Mac Pro Nehalem
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Curt,

With such large file you VRAM of only 512mb could be a problem.  Most power users recommend min. 1 gig or preferably 2 gig.

I know that this is apples (or maybe Apples) and oranges, but on my PC, I had an nVidia Quadro FX-4500 with only 512MB (largest amount in its day). I work on extremely large files, with many large panos, and HDR panos, all at high rez. I have never had an issue with corrupted files. However, we must remember that it was a pretty heavy-duty card (in its day), and also on a PC workstation, so there WERE differences.

Just an observation from the PC "trenches."

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Corrupt files - Need Help - Graphic Update Mac Pro Nehalem
                      Inselfotograf Level 1

Hm, just came about this info...

http://www.barefeats.com/pscs6.html

"Adobe is touting the Mercury Graphics Engine (MGE) as a key element of Photoshop CS6. What caught our attention is the statement, "MGE is new to Photoshop CS6, and uses both the OpenGL and OpenCL frameworks. It does not use the proprietary CUDA framework from nVidia." They add, "...this new engine delivers near-instant results when editing with key tools such as Liquify, Warp, Lighting Effects and the Oil Paint filter."

The Quadro 4000 is 20-900% slower in the tests.

But my concern is more about the wrong calculations than about speed.......

Anyone has a clue?

• 8. Re: Corrupt files - Need Help - Graphic Update Mac Pro Nehalem
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I cannot help with the MGE in PS. That is actually new to me, but stands to reason, as Adobe added MPE (Mercury Playback Engine) into Premiere Pro CS 5. It can use software acceleration, and/or CUDA from one of the right CUDA-capable nVidia cards. As of PrPro CS 6, support has been added for OpenCL with certain ATI cards, but only on the Mac OS platform.

The Quadros are high on the "certified" list for PrPro, but their performance is not all that great, just for Video editing, and many point out that certain new GeForce cards are much better "bang for the buck," plus offer better performance, than all but the highest-end Quadros.

Unlike some of the older, and similar Quadros, the FX-4500 could not be modified for CUDA with more VRAM. Still, it has been a great card for me, and has been a real workhorse in both PS and PrPro, though without any MPE/CUDA support. I guess that I got my $'s worth out of it, for about 5 years. When I update that system, I will probably go with one of the hot, new GeForce cards, as the extra 3D performance of a Quadro does nothing for me now.

As you state, the Quadro 4000 is not that highly regarded, and for performance vs cost, falls way down the list.

Hunt

PS - though it's for PrPro and MPE/CUDA (not PS and MGE), this article might make for good reading: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/824181?tstart=30

• 9. Re: Corrupt files - Need Help - Graphic Update Mac Pro Nehalem
                          Inselfotograf Level 1

When asking Apple Care what card they´d recommend and tell them about my trouble, they offered me a brand new machine as the MacPro saw service 8 times (RAID card defect, Bluetooth not working and that above named problem...

So hopefully this trouble stops....

BTW

I decided to upgrade to a ATI 5870 Radeon with 1 GB VRAM.