6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2012 3:35 PM by josephs51576386

Probably a stupid question about cropping a video..

photonewbiebw Level 1

OK, so I shot an interview with a black background and once I went to edit it, I noticed a red object in the far right corner. Is there a way I can add black over this object or crop it out? I know this is a stupid question, but I'm new to video and editing in general so I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

• 1. Re: Probably a stupid question about cropping a video..
          KGCW Level 1

Yes you can crop it out using the crop effect. In the effects tab search for "crop" to find it, drag and drop it on your clip, go to the effect control tab of your clip and you'll find the controls for the crop filter.

• 2. Re: Probably a stupid question about cropping a video..
            the_wine_snob Level 9

There are several ways to accomplish what you want.

KGCW has talked about the Crop Effect.

Depending on exactly where the object is, and whether the camera was locked down, it might be possible to duplicate your Clip, place it above your initial Clip, then offset it a bit (Motion>Position), with the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position, and then apply the Garbage Matte to that offset duplicate, effectively Cropping out everything, but a small "patch" from the existing background. Note: if the edges of that Garbage Matte are too hard for you, you could create a soft-edged Track Matte, and use that to hold out the rest of the offset duplicate.

Another method, and depending on where, and how large the offending item is, would be to go to the Fixed Effect>Motion, and use Motion>Scale to increase the size of the Clip (do not do too much Scale, or quality will suffer). You might also need to do a bit of Motion>Position, to get that red object behind the Video's Frame Size. This will effectively Crop the object.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Probably a stupid question about cropping a video..
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, if you could post a screen-cap of the Clip in the Program Monitor, so that we can see what you have, perhaps someone else will have another method, such as take that Clip into After Effects, and use the Clone Tool to sample some of the clean background and Clone it over the red object.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Probably a stupid question about cropping a video..
                KJerryK MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If it's just a relatively small object, you can make a color matte to match your background, place it on a track above your clip and then size and position it to cover the offending object.

• 5. Re: Probably a stupid question about cropping a video..
                  cfg_2451 Level 2

There are lots of ways, and you have some already in this thread.

Another way is to do a secondary color correction on the object. If there's nothing else in the picture that shares the red hues, all the easier. Basically what you have to do is find the hues, then desaturate them and reduce level to zero. Which will take the red object to black. You can do that with the three way color corrector in PPro.

Andrew Devis has a bunch of useful tutorials over at Creative Cow, here's one that describes secondary color correction in PPro.

As I said, lots of ways to accomplish this.

• 6. Re: Probably a stupid question about cropping a video..
                    josephs51576386 Level 3

Depending on if this is your only camera angle there is a method using photoshop's content aware fill that works great because it ends up blending almost perfectly with the rest of the background. Although if it's really close the person in the shot this method won't work very well since photoshop can only make a still with the troubled spot filled in using the method I'm describing. Anyways though here is a link to the video I learned this method from.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-evangelists-karl-soule/how-contentaware-fill-can-help-with -video/