• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects CS6 RAM preview not clearing

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2012 Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just submitted a bug report on this, but thought I would also ask the forum as well.

I just upgraded to After Effects CS6 on a MAC OS X  10.6.8

My probelm is that for certain effects, the RAM preview is not clearing after I make a change. In particular, with "Particle Playground" I have the layer map as another composition. When I make a change to the layer image in its composition, the particle playground composition does not reflect the change and just stays the same.

If I then make another parameter change, the new layer will be there, but if I undo that change it goes back to the old layer map. If I reneder it out to a file it is fine and reflects all changes. However, the preview RAM system seems to be very buggy and very hard to clear out old RAM previews so that changes are reflected in the new preview.

The same thiings happens if I use an expression in particle playground. I change the expression and the preview does not change. Purging doesn't even help. I have been using this effect for some years, so I know what I am doing should not be a problem.

I see others have been having various problems with this new RAM Preview enhancement, which is great when it works, but is almost unworkable in some instances as I have mentioned.

If anyone has solved this problem, or has any ideas that would be great.

Thanks

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2012 Sep 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an "under-the-hood" issue. No fix until the next version of AE or vendors can work around the issue in their own code. You can make things easier by turning off the disk cache, though, as in fact it's a mix-up where the program can't determine the cache state of a frame. No disk cache, less confusion...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2012 Sep 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. At least I know that I am not crazy! I did turn off the disk cache but it didn't help. As you say it might help a bit as with less memory it will refresh sooner although even then sometimes an old frame will remain and nothing short of shutting down AE seems to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2012 Sep 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of the many issues we are experiencing with CS6.

Disabling the disk cache doesn't fix the "RAM Cache" and both are SEVERELY broken on CS6. I can't belieive this build made it to GM.

We've had many instances where changes are made to a "child" comp and the cache from it's parent doesn't get "reset".

Even better we had one occurence where the image drawn from a composition item was not even anything contained AT ALL withing this comp. (but from a different piece of footage)

Purging and disabling the disk cache did not even help in this situation. We had to  restart After Effects.

One of the new feature of CS6 was a new caching system ... well they seriously messed it up.

The worst part is that this is a tricky bug to report to Adobe since you can't just send an AE project to them to reproduce the issue since it is random and only affect temporary data "RAM" or disk cache.

CS6 is NOT production ready for the following reasons :

- RAM and Disk Cache is broken

- the new per vertice feather roto tools is UNSTABLE as unstable can be. (unusable for us)

- the multiprocessing engine is unusable, completely broken as-well and will crash on most systems. (even without the use/help of third party plugins)

- the new "cloud" licensing system causes a humongous problem when it comes to license plugins on a render farm.

(they didn't think this through AT ALL)

- the online licensing system is painful to re-activate (if you re-install a machine and forget or can't de-activate it first)

- the cloud licensing system doesn't support a "group" or "business" accounts where you can get multiple subscriptions on the same account (they're working on it now apprentely)

- the roto shape doesn't close it self on double click anymore (ARRGGHH ! Really ?)

- the double / Alt click behavior to open a comp or edit the layer CHANGES randomly

(sometimes doube clicking will open the precomp sometimes it will edit it)

- the new "viewer" extra overlays are distracting and annoying.

- the new "viewer" seems slow/ laggy when srubbing through footage that is cached in RAM.

... That's all i can remember on the top of my head.

I'm glad/sad to see we are not the only one feeling the pain.

These are scary issues since they involved core/engine functionality of AE and might not get fixed anytime soon.

AE CS6 is the buggiest release i have seen since CS3 most of the release before and after CS3 were ok but CS6 is close from being the new worst AE build.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Calerino,

Thanks for your lengthy reply. I have experienced at least half of the problems you mentioned already. What I do now before I run RAM preview is make a change to a dummy parameter that has no effect on the comp;osition, but works to clear the memory. It is an extra step, but from what I can tell, it does render faster so I guess I will live with it until things improve - sooner rather than later I hope!

Thanks again.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 12, 2012 Oct 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The After Effects CS6 (11.0.2) update was just released. It includes many bug fixes and adds some GPUs to the list of those that can be used for GPU acceleration of ray-traced 3D rendering.

Details are here: http://adobe.ly/AE1102

Among the fixes in this update are several for caching issues like the one that you describe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update Todd ! That's great news we will be testing out the new build right away.

I have a quick question regarding updates. How do you update a "render only" computer ? The "Updates..." option is not present in the "help" section for a "render only" computer.

This is preventing us from updating our render farm and could cause problems if the the version between the workstations and the farm are different.

Any suggestion ?

Thanks.

AE_render_only_update.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> How do you update a "render only" computer ? The "Updates..." option is not present in the "help" section for a "render only" computer.

Choose Help > Updates from Adobe Bridge on that computer. In the post that I linked to, this is what I recommend as the best way, anyway.

Or download and install the update manually (also explained in the post that I linked to).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 11, 2013 Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're still getting this issue on 3 machines running AE CS6, even after running the update (11.0.2.11 currently). The only thing that seems to solve it is disabling disk cache and then running the 'Throttle-n-purge' script to clear the RAM preview. Old frames showing up randomly throughout a render is very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 11, 2013 Apr 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wil say that this is not new to CS6, and I still have it in 11.0.2 if that helps with troubleshooting at all.

I am extremely happy with everything else about CS6, it is a joy  to use and extremely fast.

I just need to trust that I am actually looking at the Comp in its present state!

Tris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2016 Sep 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

=================Just Clear Your System TEMP Files and that Ram Preview Cache will gone=================

If You don't know how to do that....
then

Close After Effect if Open ..!!

Open Run from start menu and type   %temp%  
and hit enter key..
now select all files here by pressing Ctrl+A and delete it.

you will may get a dialog box saying some files cannot be deleted bla bla bla bla ...

dsad.PNG

Check "Do this for all current items" and press Skip

Now Open After Effects and the problem is solved.......!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 07, 2016 Sep 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Or just go to your Adobe caches and delete them!

Always a good idea to know where these are, as often they are not deleted when yuou empty them via preferences dialogue.

You may not want to delete all your temp files! I

f you know of a PC equivalent to Onyx though it would be good for Windows housekeeping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines