2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2012 8:57 AM by Ed.Macke

DVD labeling

buffalobluff

I am refering to the book by Steve Grisetti----The Muvipix.com Guide to Adobe Premier Elements 10.Reference page 211.Never STICK A LABEL ONTO YOUR DVD.

I have been labeling my dvd's with felt tipped permanent markers that are labeled for cd/dvd.

Is this OK?

• 1. Re: DVD labeling
          the_wine_snob Level 9

That should be just fine, as will be inkjet printing onto a "printable" DVD/BD.

The reason for the admonition against using adhesive labels is multi-fold:

1. With some self-adhesive labels, reports have surfaced of the vehicle in the adhesive leaching into the vinyl of the disc, and altering its reflectivity (layer below the actual outer vinyl layer). Some folk say that this is an urban myth, but enough have reported of loss of reflectivity, that I would not want to loose a DVD, just because of this.
          2. Adhesive labels can affect the balance of the DVD, which spins faster, than a CD will.
          3. Adhesive labels can become detached, gumming up the player.

There might be more potential problems, but those are enough for me.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I have used Verbatim and Taiyo-Yuden Printable blank discs (several versions of the T-Y from flat white to glossy white water-proof), and use an Epson DVD inkjet printer, and have had no problems. That is through about 2,000 client discs, and perhaps 300 personal ones.

• 2. Re: DVD labeling
            Ed.Macke Level 3

Reason #3 can especially be a problem with slot-fed players (think: PlayStation) as opposed to the slide-out trays (think: Xbox).

I also use the TY blank media and Epson Artisan 725 printer for printing directly on DVD, and I have never had a problem either. Plus, it's kind of fun and creates a product I'm proud to give to family and friends.