5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2008 8:00 AM by clbrown68

AS2 | importing HTML TABLE into Flash?????

clbrown68
      Hi there,

I'm going crazy cause I cant find out how to import a table made in HTML into a Flash File and make it scrollable?

Can you help me PLEEEEZZZ.....

This is the table [url]http://ifdezine.com/dg/flash/data_wb_inks.html[/url]

I'm a newbie and need to have this explained to me in a simple way please please

Regards - Christopher
        • 1. Re: AS2 | importing HTML TABLE into Flash?????
          Greg Dove Level 4
          That looks like its more something you would want to display in a DataGrid component. But perhaps that's going to further complicate things, because its definitely not regular html to start with.

If you want to try doing it with html then you really need to know that flash can't do that natively, with textfields set to htmlText, for example. This is because the native html support in flash is only a small subset of regular html and so it does not include table formatting.
          Some people approach the layout by using tab settings. But perhaps there's an easier way: I've not used this yet, but this certainly sounds like it might help you:

http://osflash.org/flashml

• 2. Re: AS2 | importing HTML TABLE into Flash?????
            clbrown68 Level 1
            Hey there - thanks for that.... I've trying to figure out how to use it... but the only documentation is about the tags in the .chm file...

I just not experienced enough in AS to understand how to use it... can you help me or guide me to where I can find some "newbie understandable" tutorials how to simply use this program to insert the table pleez...

Thanks for your help by the way!
            • 3. Re: AS2 | importing HTML TABLE into Flash?????
              Greg Dove Level 4
              Sorry, like I said I haven't used that yet. Its just the only thing I know of that *sounds like* it will do what you want. Your best bet would be to try to find some tutorials on the original developer's site etc. Or find someone else who uses it currently who can describe what to do.

The other alternatives I mentioned were using tabs to lay things out. I know others have posted examples here in the forums in the past about that. And the DataGrid as an option if you can make you table available more as structured data than just plain html. That's reasonably advanced if you don't already know how to use components, however you may have more luck finding a tutorial on how to use it.
              • 4. Re: AS2 | importing HTML TABLE into Flash?????
                clbrown68 Level 1
                Hey thanks again... I looked at the documentation on the developers site but nothing there..... will still keep looking..... :-(
                • 5. Re: AS2 | importing HTML TABLE into Flash?????
                  clbrown68 Level 1
                  and about the datagrid thing.... I think yyou are right that it is way over my head....