4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2008 4:14 AM by luis.grifu

Importing 3d physic

Yohan
      Hi, does anybody know what is the best way to import 3d physic from max to director. I see more and more 3d shockwave games and I was wondering if they were built in Plasma, or Max 5, or maybe they are not using Havok at all but other technology,

Many thanks
      Yoav
      yoavi@barak.net.il
        • 1. Re: Importing 3d physic
          luis.grifu
          You can use the shockwave3D plugin exporter in 3DStudioMax or Maya to export your entire scene to Director, with geometry, shaders, light´s, cameras and animation. If you use 3DStudioMax you can even export Biped/physic from character Studio. If you want to use dynamics, you must use reactor (from 3Dstudiomax 4/5 or Plasma) and export the and .hke file, this only exists in those versions of 3DstudioMax or in Plasma in the dynamics window. You must have the havok xtra in Director to use the dynamics engine (you can also create all the dynamics in Director).
          The new version of Director will have a new dynamics engine, but for now, you must use the Havok xtra, or you can try onother 3D packadge, the amazing beta version of Irrlich Xtra.

There is a new engine in
          • 2. Re: Importing 3d physic
            Yohan Level 1
            OK, then all the shockwave 3d games I see were built in Max 5 or Plasma? I find it hard to belive - like it froze for 6 years (or more).
            Anyway, in Director 11 there will be a new dynamic engine, so you say, but how will it work - to emmply the 3d physic to the W3D member, will I need to expot a file from the 3d software or will be made completly inside Director?

Thanks
            • 3. Re: Importing 3d physic
              danieloizo Level 1
              quote:

Originally posted by: Yohan
              OK, then all the shockwave 3d games I see were built in Max 5 or Plasma?

You can build your 3d scene in any 3d package that exports w3d (shockwave), you don't necessarily need to export the .hke file (in newer versions then 4/5 of 3ds max i think you can't export hke). You can easily setup your physiks with lingo in director.

• 4. Re: Importing 3d physic
                luis.grifu Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: Yohan
                OK, then all the shockwave 3d games I see were built in Max 5 or Plasma? I find it hard to belive - like it froze for 6 years (or more).

You can use any 3D packadge to export in Shockwave 3D, the plugin is avaible since 3DStudioMax 4 (i think). If you have 3DStudioMax 9 you can export in W3D for Director.
                You only need 3DStudio Max 5 or Plasma if you want to export the physics (reactor/havok), but this can be done with Lingo/javascript or with several behaviors.

quote:

Anyway, in Director 11 there will be a new dynamic engine, so you say, but how will it work - to emmply the 3d physic to the W3D member, will I need to expot a file from the 3d software or will be made completly inside Director?

The new physics engine (AGEIA PhysX 3D) suports 3ds Max & Maya, but i dont really know if will be an exporter for the physics to Director like in the past with havok (HKE), i hope so.