23 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2012 4:41 PM by Islanders66

Select "In to Out" in Premier

sarnecki_12

In CS6, how do I "select in to out"? In fCP 7, it's "option + a." The essence of my workflow involves placing all my raw interviews (or b-roll)  into a timeline, then choosing selects by selecting in to out points, copying and pasting the selection into a new timeline. Please tell me I don't have to go back to FCP7.

• 1. Re: Select "In to Out" in Premier
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Selection in PP is done in several ways.

You can lasso the clips with a mouse.

You can use the Track Select tool.

You can CTRL+A if you want everything.

You can Lift or Extract In to Out.

• 2. Re: Select "In to Out" in Premier
            sarnecki_12 Level 1

Thank you, but this doesn't solve the problem. I would like to make an in and out point, select "in to out," copy that media, and then paste it to another part of the sequence, or another sequence. From what I've seen, you can only "lift" or "extract" an in to out selection, but not copy and paste. It seems so basic (and crucial to me and my colleagues) that we must be missing something.

• 3. Re: Select "In to Out" in Premier
              needles27 Level 3

This comes up a lot with ex-FCP editors.  I'm with you - I edit this way and was confused why this is missing. 

In Premiere, you have to do one extra step to accomplish this - it's annoying, but it's the only way.

Set your in & out point

Lift or extract this media using the shortcut keys ; or '  (Doesn't matter which one you use)

Immediately hit Cmd-Z to undo this operation, but it saves the in-out in the clipboard

Now you can paste this anywhere with Cmd-v

Once you do it for awhile, it becomes second nature.  You will find lots of little things that are different from FCP, and a few like this are done a little more clumsy in Pr.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Select "In to Out" in Premier
                sarnecki_12 Level 1

Thanks. Perfect. Though I don't know why Premier doesn't add this function, I imagine it'd be an easy update.

• 5. Re: Select "In to Out" in Premier
                  josephs51576386 Level 3

When editing B-roll I have always just put my B-roll in a sequence finished my edits that are required for the b-roll. Then switch back to my original main sequence then pull my B-roll sequence where I want it into my original timeline. Although I agree the in out method would be nice to have as a option.

• 6. Re: Select "In to Out" in Premier
                    shooternz Level 6

...then choosing selects by selecting in to out points, copying and pasting the selection into a new timeline.

I understand placing selects in a "selects" timeline ...but I dont really understand the copy and paste across timelines workflow thing so much for this purpose.

Why not click your selected take to up the Source Monitor.  Do your trim (In /Out) or edit there.. then Insert /Overlay to your "Edit" Timeline.

• 7. Re: Select "In to Out" in Premier
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I agree.  After all, that is why all NLEs have a Source Monitor.

• 8. Re: Select "In to Out" in Premier
                        sarnecki_12 Level 1

If you have let's say 4 hours of b-roll, or a two hour interview with multiple clips, it's much easier to deal with a set of clips if they are placed in a sequence than in the viewer. Basically, what a lot of my editors do is organize clips thematically on different sequences, such that we may have dozens, rarely ever utilizing the viewer. We think this method is much faster, especially for docs. That's why we're upset as we consider switching to premier.

• 9. Re: Select "In to Out" in Premier
                          sarnecki_12 Level 1

Sorry, in my post replace "viewer" with "source monitor." I think it's just a matter

of style and habit, but it's hard to break.

• 10. Re: Select "In to Out" in Premier
                            josephs51576386 Level 3

They might be wanting to avoid having add graphics to certain sections of b-roll inside their main timeline. Although the main reason I use the sequence method is because I like to keep my clutter as low as possible.

• 11. Re: Select "In to Out" in Premier
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

If you have let's say 4 hours of b-roll

Then I'd go to Bridge where I can see all my clips easily, and note the ones I wanted to use.

a two hour interview with multiple clips,

As a shooter, I try and make a single interview a single clip.  But even when that doesn't happen for some reason, you can always load the clips into a sequence, then load the sequence into the Source Monitor and cut normally.

• 12. Re: Select "In to Out" in Premier
                                Jim Curtis Level 3

I've been working on NLEs since they came out.  The fastest way by far to edit b-roll with any NLE except Premiere is to ignore the Source monitor.  Apple has figured this out; why haven't you?

Do as sarnecki suggests, and put all your b-roll into a sequence, trim out the fat, and use that trimmed b-roll sequence as a method to find the shot you need.

Do this in any other NLE, and you will see.  Pr  hates this way of working, because the MPE slows down scrubbing of footage in a sequence.  But, if it did work well, you'd discover, as so many Avid and FCP editors have, that scrubbing a single timeline is much faster than sifting, sorting, finding and loading single clips into a viewer.

So, while working from the source monitior may be the fastest way ultimately to work in Pr, it's not the best way, due to this severe limitation of Pr.

IMO,

Jim

• 13. Re: Select "In to Out" in Premier
                                  shooternz Level 6

To those of you that never use the Source Monitor...do you do all your clip placement,  coarse and fine trimmming in the Timeline ...after you have copy and pasted from a selects timeline?

(using Mouse or keyboard shortcuts?)

Pr  hates this way of working, because the MPE slows down scrubbing of footage in a sequence.

MPE does not slow the scrubbing in my timeline / sequence.  I can go as fast or slow as I wish without issue.

My general workflow for selects is that I view the clips in the project bin as I log them (Description, Good etc). Because I work to a script its easy and fast to have an organised Bin of takes to draw from. 

My first edit is in the Source Monitor (In and Out Points) and then from the Timeline I will use the Trim Monitor and occasionaly some Mouse Trimming.  Most of that fine trimming is Keyboard shortcuts.

I have often put all the select takes on a timeline so a client or I can review them in a convenient manner though I dont generally edit from there. 

FWIW: Something I use regularly from the timeline clip is "Reveal in Project". I find this very useful in my workflow.

• 14. Re: Select "In to Out" in Premier
                                    Jim Curtis Level 3

shooternz wrote:

MPE does not slow the scrubbing in my timeline / sequence.  I can go as fast or slow as I wish without issue.

I wish I could say the same.  The better the codec, the worse scrubbing is for me.  I get huge lags with RD3 and ProRes, but VOB, AVCHD and MP4 shuttles as smooth as silk, and XDCam is somewhere in between. 

This is counterintuitive, because Long-GOP needs to decode in the CPU.

Anyway, I adopted this method of cutting b-roll on Avid, and am chagrined that I can't do it as fast on Pr.

I don't log footage any more.  Everything goes into long sequences by kind, even scripted & dialog projects.  I mark the good takes with the Label function in Pr (Markers in MC and FCP).  I keep a sequence of everything, dupe that in case I need to go back later, and start removing the chaff on the copy.

This is why I need to shuttle / scrub sequences easily.

What kind of footage are you cutting?

• 15. Re: Select "In to Out" in Premier
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I get huge lags with RD3 and ProRes, but VOB, AVCHD and MP4 shuttles as smooth as silk, and XDCam is somewhere in between. 

That speaks to a disk issue.  The media you have the most trouble with has the highest data rate, the media you have the least trouble with has the lowest data rate, and the media that's in between has a medium data rate.

This has nothing to do with hardware acceleration.  You just need faster hard drives.

I don't log footage any more.  Everything goes into long sequences by kind, even scripted & dialog projects.

Oh my God what a PITA way of working.  I absolutely HATE doing projects without a data wrangler to mark the good takes on set.  Knowing which clips I can use and which are no good ahead of time is a HUGE help.

• 16. Re: Select "In to Out" in Premier
                                        Jim Curtis Level 3

I respectfully disagree with you on both counts, Jim. 

Look at my RAID specs:  1.5 to 2 GB/sec io.  As as you may have overlooked, shuttling is smooth as silk in the Pr source monitor and in Avid and FCP timelines.  This is behavior exhibited by Pr alone in the Program and Timeline views.

You may think my method is PITA, but my 30 years experience says it's faster than logging clips.  I'm renowned for my editing speed (and quality) in my market.  Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

I don't usually have the luxury of data wranglers, and I don't see how you can claim that you used the best takes if you don't watch the footage yourself.

I worked on a series of Lexus TV spots once (customer testimonials), where the Director and Client consistently picked the most overblown, histrionic "performances."  I got over-ruled, of course, but it illustrates that there's little benefit in trusting the opinion of others, when it comes to picking the "best" takes.

I want to see everything.  Even the bits before "action" and after "cut" can be useful from time to time.

• 17. Re: Select "In to Out" in Premier
                                          shooternz Level 6

I am cutting mostly AVCHD and Prores HQ.

Its kind of easy for me to log because TVCs tend to be scripted, shotlisted, tight camera rolls on / off and of short form.

Biggest issue with TVCs are the precise durations of the program.  eg. precisely 15, 30, 45, 60 secs etc

Because I direct and shoot my own material..its also easy to make take selections.  ....deja vu editing.

• 18. Re: Select "In to Out" in Premier
                                            Islanders66 Level 1

needles27 wrote:

Set your in & out point

Lift or extract this media using the shortcut keys ; or '  (Doesn't matter which one you use)

Immediately hit Cmd-Z to undo this operation, but it saves the in-out in the clipboard

Now you can paste this anywhere with Cmd-v

Thanks for sharing that workaround! I will try it, but does it also allow you to move the in and out points beyond the original duration? That was the problem with copy paste method across timelines.

• 19. Re: Select "In to Out" in Premier
                                              Jim Curtis Level 3

If you're asking if you can trim the clip you pasted elsewhere after you paste it, the answer is yes.

• 20. Re: Select "In to Out" in Premier
                                                Islanders66 Level 1

What I'm kind of asking without repeating myself is can you slip the original clip after you paste it, as you are limited to the original duration of the in and out points if you simply cut and paste from one timeline to anohter?

• 21. Re: Select "In to Out" in Premier
                                                  shooternz Level 6

can you slip the original clip after you paste it, as you are limited to the original duration of the in and out points if you simply cut and paste from one timeline to anohter?

You could try and see  for your self ...but clips are only references to original source so what you cut and paste has the full functionality of the original clip.

• 22. Re: Select "In to Out" in Premier
                                                    Islanders66 Level 1

shooternz wrote:

can you slip the original clip after you paste it, as you are limited to the original duration of the in and out points if you simply cut and paste from one timeline to anohter?

You could try and see  for your self ...but clips are only references to original source so what you cut and paste has the full functionality of the original clip.

I said in my first post I would try it, read above. I'm not at my workstation. My experience with 5.5 has been that when cutting and pasting a clip from one timeline to another it does not maintain full functionality, in that you can't extend the clip beyond the original in and out points, so that you can't even add a disolve. This is exactly what the OP is asking, so why didn't you inform him to simply cut and paste instead of the lift, ctl z, paste?

• 23. Re: Select "In to Out" in Premier
                                                      shooternz Level 6

I said in my first post I would try it, read above.

I must have missed that in your "first post"

Post #18 wasnt it?

• 24. Re: Select "In to Out" in Premier
                                                        Islanders66 Level 1

shooternz wrote:

I said in my first post I would try it, read above.

I must have missed that in your "first post"

Post #18 wasnt it?

Yes, thanks. It's all good. I should have tested it again. I just got home and the copy paste function from timeline to timeline is alowing me to extend the clip beyond the original in and out points when copy paste from one timeline to another. Although this wasn't the case before on a paying job. I can't seem to dubplicate the issue, as the clip is fully functioal no matter if I cut it with the blade tool or set in and out points. If this is the case, I'm not sure the advantage of the Lift, Ctrl Z, Ctrl V,  method to move a clip from one time line to another?

edit: ok the OP wants to make multiple extracts from a single clip. I'm also used to doing that in the viewer, althogh this is a nice alternative.