7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2012 9:51 AM by Jim_Simon

h.264/avc High 422 Profile

Smith655 Level 1

Does anyone know of any freely available h.264 high 422 profile codecs that can be used to render out of premiere? I know that there are some professional products that include this in their bundle, but I'm not really interested in spending $300 to get it.

Thanks for your help

• 1. Re: h.264/avc High 422 Profile
          Jim_Simon Level 8

For what purpose?

• 2. Re: h.264/avc High 422 Profile
            Smith655 Level 1

Hahahaha. Jim, is it going to be like this for all of my posts? Is "For what purpose?" the adobe forums version of "First!"

The purpose is that I'm not happy with the loss from 4:2:0 subsampling and I don't like the way the video looks when I use the 4:2:2 MPEG-2 profile to render my videos. I really like the look that I get when I use the h264 codec, and I wanted to see what the High 4:2:2 profile looks like and see if it would be worth the increse in the size of the videos.

The videos I make are for personal use on computers.

• 3. Re: h.264/avc High 422 Profile
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              The videos I make are for personal use on computers.

That is the relevant information.  Blu-rays and DVDs can't hold 4:2:2, and the included P2 option offers 4:2:2 AVC-I and DVCPRO HD, but they both come out with a complicated folder structure.  This would not be an issue if further editing was the goal, but neither is designed for computer playback.  You could try MXF OP1a, which will create a single file and also offers an AVC-I 100 option, which VLC seems able to play back, but not all media players will.

• 4. Re: h.264/avc High 422 Profile
                Smith655 Level 1

Interesting. Thank you very much for that explanation. I had no idea that most computer playback won't support 4:2:2.

It sounds like I really have no other option besides just dealing with it and trying to work around it.

Would punching up the saturation a bit or doing some other color correction compensate for the loss of color depth from the chroma subsampling or am I talking about two completely unrelated topics?

• 5. Re: h.264/avc High 422 Profile
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

You're probably talking two different things.

For starters, you really can't judge the quality of an export on a computer monitor with software players, because the operating system, the graphics driver and the player itself all can and do alter the signal, so there's no way to know that you're seeing that signal correctly.

To judge the quality of video, you MUST watch it on a properly calibrated TV.  Once you have that, you can adjust it as desired.  How it then looks on a computer monitor is probably best adjusted with the media players settings, not the export settings.

• 6. Re: h.264/avc High 422 Profile
                    Smith655 Level 1

Interesting.

Thank you again for your help. I thought that the reference TV advice only applied if the video was meant to be viewed on a television screen, so thank you for clearing that up.

• 7. Re: h.264/avc High 422 Profile
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Yeah, the whole point of the calibrated external TV has nothing to do with where the media ends up.  The point is only to see the signal accurately.  And typically that's just not possible with a computer monitor and software players.