6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2012 10:14 AM by the_wine_snob

Can't access iPhone 4s .mov in PE10

dr.reggie

New to PE10, the program won't recognize my .mov files from iPhone 4s.   I have tried loading them in organizer and I get a message that I am missing a CODEC.  I have tried loading them directly into PE10 using "Get Media" tab and get "The importer reported a generic error".  I have tried accessing them directly from the phone and accessing them from hard-drive.  The files do open and play just fine with Quicktime and Media player. Please help!!

• 1. Re: Can't access iPhone 4s .mov in PE10
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Technically, Premiere Elements doesn't currently support iPhone video.

But you may be able to get it to work if you a) make sure you have the latest version of Quicktime on your computer and b) you set up a project using the Flip Mino HD project preset.

It's important you set up your project properly because, the first time you set up your project, the program downloads and installs necessary components from the Web.

So there are no guarantees -- but it may work. Depending on your operating system and how your computer is configured.

• 2. Re: Can't access iPhone 4s .mov in PE10
            dr.reggie Level 1

I updated quicktime and tried the Flip Mino project preset and got the same result.  Bummer. 

I then tried using Windows movie maker to re-write the .mov to .wmv and the clips were able to load just fine.  I can't tell if I lost any quality with that side-step but at least they load.  What preset would be best for that scenario? 

• 3. Re: Can't access iPhone 4s .mov in PE10
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I would not recommend editing a WMV in Premiere Elements. Your results will be awful. You'd be better off finishing your editing in Windows MovieMaker.

But you'll get much better results editing in Quicktime Pro. You can also use Quicktime Pro to output this video in a format Premiere Elements can edit, if you're so inclined.

• 4. Re: Can't access iPhone 4s .mov in PE10
                dr.reggie Level 1

If I end up taking the QTpro route what file type would I choose as my QTpro output?  Here are the supported types according to Adobe.  If my input from iPhone video is .mov will I have to convert to some other format or will the QTpro .mov output work? 

Thanks for all your help.

Supported video formats

• Adobe Flash® (.swf)
                • AVI Movie (.avi)
                • AVCHD (.m2ts,.mts,.m2t)
                • DV Stream (.dv)
                • MPEG Movie (.mpeg,.vob,.mod,.ac3,.mpe,.mpg,.mpd,.m2v,.mpa,.mp2,.m2a,.mpv,.m2p,.m2t,.m1v,.mp4,.m4v,.m 4a,.aac, 3gp,.avc,.264)
                • QuickTime Movie (.mov,.3gp,.3g2,.mp4,.m4a,.m4v)
                • TOD (.tod)
                • Windows Media (.wmv,.asf) - Windows only
                • 5. Re: Can't access iPhone 4s .mov in PE10
                  nealeh Level 5

I would go DV if your final output is going to be standard definition, or AVCHD for a high definition project. These are both native formats that PRE works with.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Can't access iPhone 4s .mov in PE10
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Do you have Apple's QT Pro (a US $29 unlock/upgrade), or just the QT Player?

QT Pro is a very good conversion program, when starting with Apple Video files, and can convert to several usable formats. I would use that, and do, when starting with any Apple file. Note: there are several Apple CODEC's, that are not available for the PC, but if the footage has NOT been Captured, or edited on a Mac, they should never come into play.

Good luck,

Hunt