2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2012 5:27 PM by josephs51576386

Sony Handycam 60p frame rate

BLPhoto235

I want to buy a cheap consumer Sony Handycam (~$300).  It says it captures at 60p (1980 x 1080) as opposed to 60i in most other models.  Do  you know if Premiere Pro CS6 can import/edit natively 60p footage (or do I need some type of conversion?).

I heard 60p was going to be the new standard?  Any thoughts on the benefits/drawbacks and compatibility of 60p?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Sony Handycam 60p frame rate
          Jim_Simon Level 8

1080p/60 is not likely to ever be a 'standard' in the professional world.  It can't be broadcast, or put onto Blu-ray or DVD.

It's only real benefit is for slow motion work.

• 2. Re: Sony Handycam 60p frame rate
            josephs51576386 Level 3

Like Jim correctly stated it will not likely ever be a new standard for any broadcast stations(anytime soon). Here is the main reason why. In OTA TV broadcast each channel gets 19.39Mbps of bandwidth. Several broadcast networks currently have mutliple sub channels on the same channel (Including where I work).

When you're dealing with 1080i/29.97 you have to have your bitrate set around at least 11Mbps to achieve a decent looking result (even with stat muxing unless the picture is really static), with the way encoders in the brodcast world currently work. Then if you add in trying to also fit two sub-channels that are SD you're basically almost at your MAX bandwidth. Basically if you attempted to broadcast 1080p/60 you'd have to use more bandwidth than what is allotted to achieve even a decent looking picture. So the way things look right now, I would say its highly unlikely to see anyone in the broadcast world broadcasting at 1080p/60 as long the current 19.39Mbps limit is in place for OTA TV in the USA.

To answer your other question though Premiere pro cs6 can indeed handle 1080p/60 footage without any conversion needed. You just need to have a system that meets adobe's spec requirements.