19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2012 3:02 AM by Harm Millaard

Trouble with GPU Acceleration in Premiere Pro CS6 (GTX 670)

iPansophitus

I recently bought a new GTX 670 with the hopes that it would accelerate my video editing in Premiere. After using the "nVidia hack" to add it to the list of CUDA supported cards, I started up Premiere, enabled GPU acceleration in the general project preferences window, and was disappointed to find that my performance appeared to be identical to what I had experienced with my non compatible HD 6870s.

When I checked with MSI Afterburner, my GPU usage remained around 0%, even when playing through videos. I'm quite certain that my card was successfully added to the list, so I have no idea what's going on.

Is there any chance that I am misunderstanding what GPU acceleration is supposed to do? I'm very new to Premiere, so I don't know too much about it yet. The reason I bought my new card, aside from improved performance in 3D games, was to allow me to scrub through my project (comprised of 1080p AVI videos captured with FRAPS) without hiccups and poor FPS. Was this not a reasonable expectation for GPU rendering?

Here's a short list of my PC's specs if it's any help:

-Intel i5 2500k (currently not overclocked)

-8GB DDR3 Dual Channel RAM (at 1600MHz)

-1TB 7200RPM HDD

-nVidia GTX 670 OC 2GB VRAM

-Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 Motherboard

Thanks in advance for any advice!