5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2012 8:26 AM by John T Smith

Premiere Crashing

steveliz

I have a Creative Cloud membership, running Premiere on a Macbook Pro, OSX 10.8.1, 8 gb Ram, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7, current OS updates have been applied. 

The last several weeks, I've been getting frequent crashes using Premiere.  I've tried with using an external drive (firewire) as the scratch and the local hard drive as a scratch disk.  It crashes on things as simple as dragging a video to the timeline, or pressing play, etc.  I'm not working with huge files, It's getting very frustrating. 

Any ideas would be helpful.  I'll try to provide other info as needed.

Thanks,

Steve J

• 1. Re: Premiere Crashing
          Arpit Kapoor Adobe Employee

[Moved the discussion to Premiere Pro Forum]

• 2. Re: Premiere Crashing
            josephs51576386 Level 3

What type of footage are you using?

Does it only crash when using certain types of containers/codecs?

Does it only occur at certain resolutions?

Do you have  GPU that is supported for GPU accleration?

What message does it display when it crashes, or does it just simply freeze?

What version of Premiere are you currently running? (I see you said cloud so it's obviously cs6 but I want to make sure it's the newest version of cs6)

If you can let me know what type of footage you're using when the crashes occur that may help. However if you have tested several different containers/codecs and that makes no difference then we can move on to other possibilities. The next thing I'd check is if you have a GPU that supports GPU accleration then I'd attempt setting it to software only mode and see if the problem goes away or not.

• 3. Re: Premiere Crashing
              Shantaram Level 1

I am having almost the same problem. Crashes started with bring in JPEGs, then during rendering. Now any hint of rendering causes a crash. I'm not getting any error message, the computer just freezes up, everything except for the mouse pointer.

Please help Adobe. I finally have the full CS and will be gutted if I have to go back to FC. I'm not too many crashes away from just giving up.

I'm using a 15in Macbook Pro (late 2011), i7 2.4Ghz, 16gb ram, AMD Radeon HD 6770m, OSX 10.8.2.

Honestly I am baffled as to how people have ever rendered anything in the past. I am somewhat new to video editing and I thought a laptop like mine would be able to handle the fairly basic tasks I am doing.

• 4. Re: Premiere Crashing
                mogpersons

I think I'm having the same problem your having. Is it doing something like this?

My system is:

Processor  2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory  16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics  AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB / Intel HD Graphics 3000

Software  OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)

• 5. Re: Premiere Crashing
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Crashes started with bring in JPEGs

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-Too Large May = Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/879967

-And another crash report http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935