7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2008 11:30 AM by Newsgroup_User

Exporting png files

MarilynQZ
      I am trying to maintain a website that was designed by someone else. I want to change the drop down menus on the home page. I know how to edit the pop-up menu. The pop-up menu is one aspect of a png file. So then I save the file, export it, but when I go to upload it in Dreamweaver, it seems to upload as normal, but the changes that I made do not appear when I view the page on the web.
      What am I doing wrong? It must have something to do with the exporting process or maybe I'm not uploading all the files that I need to.
      Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Exporting png files
          Level 7
          MarilynQZ wrote:
          > I am trying to maintain a website that was designed by someone else. I want to
          > change the drop down menus on the home page. I know how to edit the pop-up
          > menu. The pop-up menu is one aspect of a png file. So then I save the file,
          > export it, but when I go to upload it in Dreamweaver, it seems to upload as
          > normal, but the changes that I made do not appear when I view the page on the
          > web.
          > What am I doing wrong? It must have something to do with the exporting
          > process or maybe I'm not uploading all the files that I need to.
          > Thanks.

What steps are you using to "upload" it to Dreamweaver?

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          • 2. Re: Exporting png files
            MarilynQZ Level 1
            I am using the FTP process set up in Dreamweaver where I drag the file over from the local file structure to the remote site. It is the same process that I use for uploading pages, and other types of images.
            • 3. Re: Exporting png files
              Level 7
              MarilynQZ wrote:
              > I am using the FTP process set up in Dreamweaver where I drag the file over
              > from the local file structure to the remote site. It is the same process that
              > I use for uploading pages, and other types of images.

You must first export the document from Fireworks to your Dreamweaver
              site, and then use the Dreamweaver Insert > Image Objects > Fireworks
              HTML feature to add it to your page locally before uploading to the server.

--
              • 4. Re: Exporting png files
                geeceeart
                I have posted a similar problem (see geeceeart).
                What files, besides the .html file, need to be uploaded to the remote site?
                Thanks-
                Greg
                • 5. Re: Exporting png files
                  geeceeart Level 1
                  I find it irritating that Adobe basically only SELLS extended support for its products (a minimum of $175!). What happened to the one year free support customers used to get after purchase?
                  I've already spent the money for the program, a copy of the user's manual (not included with the software except under Help), and many hours of my time researching and trying to get this stuff to work.
                  I've been using Photoshop since version 2.0 and, I think, know my way around the Adobe interface pretty well, but FW is completely UN-intuitive for me.
                  Also interesting is how FW experts (both in this forum and projectseven's) tell me to find another program to build navigation bars.
                  How can Adobe advertise that its products are seamlessly integrated?

OK, that's it for my ranting today.
                  Report me, if you must.
                  Greg in New Orleans
                  • 6. Re: Exporting png files
                    Level 7
                    geeceeart wrote:
                    > I find it irritating that Adobe basically only SELLS extended support for its
                    > products (a minimum of $175!). What happened to the one year free support
                    > customers used to get after purchase?
                    > I've already spent the money for the program, a copy of the user's manual (not
                    > included with the software except under Help), and many hours of my time
                    > researching and trying to get this stuff to work.
                    > I've been using Photoshop since version 2.0 and, I think, know my way around
                    > the Adobe interface pretty well, but FW is completely UN-intuitive for me.
                    > Also interesting is how FW experts (both in this forum and projectseven's)
                    > tell me to find another program to build navigation bars.
                    > How can Adobe advertise that its products are seamlessly integrated?
                    >
                    > OK, that's it for my ranting today.
                    > Report me, if you must.
                    > Greg in New Orleans
                    >

Rant away, but its only Fireworks users who read these posts, but if it
                    helps get it off your chest carry on :)

By the way, I was under the impression that you get 90 days free support
                    from the day of purchase.

And I totally feel your frustration about the seamless integration being
                    rubbish, its over marketed and they should drop it.

The UI is nothing like Photoshop, which is why I prefer Fireworks. I
                    could always get on with Macromedia products, but never Adobe, so I was
                    worried when Adobe bought Macromedia, in fear that the UI would be
                    ruined. Its the next version of Fireworks and other Macromedia products
                    that will see the big changes in UI, unless they are really kind to us
                    loyal Macromedia users and leave it alone.

Steve
                    • 7. Re: Exporting png files
                      Level 7
                      geeceeart wrote:
                      > I have posted a similar problem (see geeceeart).
                      > What files, besides the .html file, need to be uploaded to the remote site?
                      > Thanks-

The images. Probably a style sheet.

--