4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2012 5:12 AM by apexx_rsv

Input Box + Save Backwards + Save PDF

apexx_rsv

Hello Everyone,

I am investigating the creation of a script that will automatically query the user for a string to be used in file naming, then take that string and save a IDML, Low Resolution PDF (based on a specific PDF Export Profile), and a High Resolution PDF(based on a specific PDF Export Profile) named using that string and saved in the same directory as the Parent INDD file. I havent been able to find anything that accomplishes those parts individually, so i may have to create the script myself.

Is this comething that is possible through indesign scripts?

Thank you very much in advance for any replies or help!

• 1. Re: Input Box + Save Backwards + Save PDF
          apexx_rsv Level 1

Ok so i was able to piece together my script last night after searching through this forum. One item i could not find was when exporting a PDF the "generating pdf" status box normally pops up when the procedure is done manually. When executed through the script though, it is done in the background.

Does anyone know the correct object/method to turn on this window while the PDF and IDML are being created?

Screen Shot 2012-09-04 at 11.47.50 AM.png

• 2. Re: Input Box + Save Backwards + Save PDF
            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you use the "new" "asynchronousExportFile()" method?
            If so, you could do it the "old" way in the foreground by using the "exportFile()" method.

For the pop-up menu when exporting a PDF you could set the "showingOptions" argument to "true" in the export method:

exportFile (format: varies, to: File[, showingOptions: bool=false][, using: PDFExportPreset][, versionComments: string][, forceSave: bool=false])

Uwe

• 3. Re: Input Box + Save Backwards + Save PDF
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here an example:

myDocument.exportFile(ExportFormat.PDF_TYPE,File(pdfFullName),true,undefined,undefined);

where "pdfFullName" here is a user defined variable that would be defined by a prompt the user will answer when using the script.

The third argument in that method by default is "false". If you change that to "true", you'll get the pop-up, where the user sees the usual PDF-Export dialog.

Uwe

• 4. Re: Input Box + Save Backwards + Save PDF
                apexx_rsv Level 1

awesome this worked perfect, also was able to spend some time looking at scriptUI and was able to get all of this figured out, many thanks!