6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2012 2:11 PM by Jim_Simon

Copying Files Locks Up Premiere

Jmugford010

Hello Everyone,

Finally thought I should ask this question on the forums, and search yielded no similar thread (although I may not be looking properly).

Working with cs6 I have noticed almost everytime I go to copy a group of clips to another sequence premiere takes a good amount of time processing the request (spinning wheel) and my computer will even state that the program is not responding (I am working on pc). After I let it sit for a while it finally regains consciousness and I am able to move my files, but you can imagine this being a pain for anytime I need to duplicate out an entire project. This is also a big change from FC7 where copying file felt almost instantaneous, but now I am having to wait a good amount of time just for a few clips. Has anyone had similar experiences, and if so any fixes to the problem?

Thank You

• 1. Re: Copying Files Locks Up Premiere
          Jim_Simon Level 8

It's pretty instantaneous for me regardless of media or sequence settings.

• 2. Re: Copying Files Locks Up Premiere
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Apparently you are making Premiere Pro think really hard about something. Could it be conforming? Or is it busy resizing clips to the frame size of the sequence?

What is different or interesting about your group of clips?

If you take a few clips all from the same camera, use one of them to create a sequence, then put all of them on that sequence, then what happens if you copy the entire group to a new sequence? Still have the problem?

• 3. Re: Copying Files Locks Up Premiere
              the_wine_snob Level 9

At this point, I would list the full specs. of your computer. This article goes into more detail on what info might be useful: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/961741?tstart=0

It sounds like it could be an issue with your OS and system handling the Clipboard, though, as Steven say, it could be PrPro needing to "think" about things a bit too much.

It might be useful to also know about your Source Footage, and your Sequence settings.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Copying Files Locks Up Premiere
                Jmugford010 Level 1

Hi Bill,

My computer is an Asus g75vw-DS72.

• Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor 2.3GHz
                • 16 GB SO-DIMM RAM
                • 750GB 7200rpm Hard Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
                • 17.3-Inch Full-HD LED Screen, Nvidia GTX 670M
                • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I have applied the "hack" for the CUDA compatibility with my graphics card for the mercury playback. Footage is a mixture of 7D 1920x1080 and also Lumix GH2 footage. One note is that I have applied warp stabilizer to most of the footage I look to copy, but should that really lock up that system that drastically?

• 5. Re: Copying Files Locks Up Premiere
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Hmm. That is entirely possible I suppose.

Warp Stabilizer runs in the background, I just applied it to four clips one right after the other it just told me it was working in the background. I tried selecting all four clips before the stabilizing was finished and my relatively powerful PC responded by applying a lot of power to the task, as evidenced by the fans getting louder.

I let the effect finish analyzing and stabilizing. I hit the enter key to play the sequence and all was fine. The CPUs barely registered it. Then I scrubbed the timeline while watching my Resource Monitor and the CPUs all stood up and said "Hey!". Not for long, but long enough to register on the Resource Monitor as having all twelve cores (6 physical cores hyperthreaded) running at 50% or more.

So I thought, what about RAM?

I scrubbed the timeline over and over and watched the RAM allocated to Premiere Pro increase with every motion of the mouse to the left and to the right. I have twice your RAM, but eventually I think it would be easy to max it out. 

So - what happens if you save and close Premiere Pro, then reopen the project and try the same thing again? How much of your 16G do you have dedicated to Premiere Pro? In other words, try keeping an eye on your Resource Monitor and see what it tells you. Your only solution might be to wait for Premiere Pro, or buy more RAM, or, having said all of that, if you are going to use Warp Stabilizer, I believe that you really only have two other choices. Wait until you have done all of your editing and then stabilize it. Or, stabilize and then export to an intermediate that you can import back into the project for editing.

• 6. Re: Copying Files Locks Up Premiere
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

That could well do it.

Run a test copying some clips without WS and you'll know.