16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2012 9:48 PM by the_wine_snob

Hey wassup?

.Buko. Level 1

Just a shout out to my old friends,  that maybe still here.

hope everything is going well for you guys.

Buko,

the one and only.

• 1. Re: Hey wassup?
          Curt Y Level 7

Just wish I could help you more on Bridge Forum.  Always liked your comments in the past.

• 2. Re: Hey wassup?
            Noel Carboni Level 8

I don't know you from Adam, as our paths didn't cross, but welcome (back I guess).

Is Buko a first name, last name, favorite animal...?

I understand you have a Bridge problem you're trying to resolve with Mountain Lion.  Sorry to say I can't help you much there as I'm a PC user, but I have created this little image to graphically describe an outside observer's view of what Mountain Lion seems to think of Photoshop so far...

MountainLion_Small.jpg

-Noel

• 3. Re: Hey wassup?
              Curt Y Level 7

FYI a comment from Buko in 2009.  Shows we have not moved very far on this issue and driven out many "experts".

"This is the exact reason this whole points # of posts thing is stupid. I had over 25,000 originally from when I started here. Then at the last changeover I lost a bunch now I'm back up to 6000+.

I personally think that giving an answer and the quality of that answer is much more important than any these stupid points and post numbers. Being known by your piers as someone who gives good/correct answers has worked in these parts for at least 10 years now."

• 4. Re: Hey wassup?
                Noel Carboni Level 8

I happen to agree that the posts count / points system is a bit extraneous (though I admit I'm somewhat motivated to always try to keep my points/post ratio up), but I don't really see it as driving experts away. 

Things like the forum itself being balky to use, not quite ever having the bugs all fixed, there being two forums (forums.adobe.com and photoshop.com), and even quality issues in the products themselves seem more to me to be driving forces.

-Noel

• 5. Re: Hey wassup?
                  .Buko. Level 1

I don't know you either Noel, thats why this was a shoutout to my old friends that may still be here. Back in its glory days this forum was active on weekends and holidays now it just seems dead, and dingy looking. not pleasing to the eyes at all.

So far ML and Photoshop seem to be playing nice.

BTW Buko is my name. thats it.

• 6. Re: Hey wassup?
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

Well, then, again:  Welcome (back) Buko.  Hope you stay around a while.  I'd like to think the forum isn't completely dead, and I look forward to talking with you.

It's good to hear Mountain Lion is giving good service to some.  From what we hear here, it's hard to judge how well it works for the Lion's share (sorry) of users.  As a Windows guy I know where to read between the lines, but not with Mac.  Since the forums were pushed together I've been reading a lot more about Mac Photoshop usage than I ever did before.  I'm glad for it, it's allowed me to expand my horizons, though I haven't yet craved jumping ship. 

Hopefully more of your old friends will turn up.

-Noel

• 7. Re: Hey wassup?
                      .Buko. Level 1

Chances of my hanging around here once my problem is solved are slim to none, I've been told I'm not welcome so why push the issue. I was one of those people with over 60,000 posts most of them helpful a few were for fun and friendship. Then as these new forums were introduced the point totals went down. So why have points if you can't keep them.

And in my opinion combining Windows and Mac forum is stupid. I don't need everybody telling me "I wish I could help but I'm Windows guy".

• 8. Re: Hey wassup?
                        Noel Carboni Level 8

Who told you you're not welcome?  Someone recently or back then?

Your opinion is noted, if naive.  I thought squeezing the forums together was a bad idea at the start as well, but after living with it for a while it's not as bad as you might think.  I suggest avoiding calling things you don't know about "stupid".  You'll be more welcome in places.

As far as it goes, I personally have helped a lot of Mac people with things that don't involve purely OS-specific faults.  I'll bet with a little effort you could help PC people too.  I don't see a downside in learning to understand how the other half lives.

Regarding your specific Bridge problem, what would you expect to hear?  Should I have just said nothing?  Should we talk in generic terms?  Did you install your Mountain Lion system as an upgrade (generally a idea with ANY new OS version, Mac or PC)?  Have you tried uninstalling Photoshop and reinstalling from scratch (that usually works for people unwilling to delve into root causes)?

-Noel

• 9. Re: Hey wassup?
                          Curt Y Level 7

A number of the old "experts" became quite agitated with the "new" forums and the lack of Adobe's response to requested changes to make the forums more friendly and useable.  Does that sound familiar?  That was probably at least 4 years ago.  They were asked not to return as they could not "behave".

• 10. Re: Hey wassup?
                            Noel Carboni Level 8

Yeah, I guess trying to make things better can only go so far though.  I did a little stint myself away from the forums out of frustration, but at some point one just has to learn to live with some things...  Frankly, we ARE communicating here.

-Noel

• 11. Re: Hey wassup?
                              .Buko. Level 1

Like I said with over 60,000 post dating back to 2000 I've help many people on these forums. I'm just not into flogging a dead horse.

• 12. Re: Hey wassup?
                                Noel Carboni Level 8

G'bye then.  Nice meeting you.

-Noel

• 13. Re: Hey wassup?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

A number of the old "experts" became quite agitated with the "new" forums and the lack of Adobe's response to requested changes to make the forums more friendly and useable.

Curt,

You share a valid point. There has always been aggravation with the forums, and that goes back to the NNTP days. That is never likely to change 100%. There WERE "good times," and then, there were "bad times."

One thing that I can share with you (and with others) is that Adobe has sort of "changed gears." At one time, there was a question, up many floors in the "ivory tower," sounding a bit like this, "Remind me why we need and support those forums?"

Well, there is a new Adobe Forum Team (not just the Forum Design Team), that is working very hard to make things better. That attempt at improvement is focused on both the "regulars," and on the "new users." Someone, several floors UP, is listening.

Are the forums perfect? No. Are they getting better? The Adobe Forum Team is working hard to make sure that it is. Again, this is for both the regulars, and for the new users. They DO understand the value of the Adobe Forums, and are doing everything that is possible to make the better. Will they be better for everyone? Probably not. Will they improve overall? Hopefully, within the constraints of Jive.

Am I the "happiest camper" ever? No, as I miss many aspects from days gone by, and have had to grit my teeth, and move on.

I hope that there is "a light at the end of the tunnel," and that I am just not "drinking the Kool-aid." Still, I see improvements, and people with that as a their goal, and as part of their job descriptions.

@ Buko,

Though I do not recall our paths crossing, I recall you from older forums. Welcome! I hope that Curt and others, can get the Bridge issues resolved, and when that is done, do not hesitate to hang a bit. IIRC, you provided a lot of useful info for those with problems.

Hunt

• 14. Re: Hey wassup?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Buko,

I understand completely. Due to one long-forgotten forum change, I lost about 30K posts (no points in those days). Though I started when the Adobe Forums were NNTP only, and followed along when HTTP was added, though when it became the ONLY way to access them, I am listed as joining in 2002 - yeah, right? Such is life, and though it is not ideal, I strive to get beyond it.

Now, regarding the posts and points, since they were mentioned. Other than to see a "new user," with their first post, and then to welcome them, I really do not pay much attention. With the points, well I tried to use those to buy CS 6 MC, and the Adobe chat person did not know what I was talking about. I then tried to buy tickets on United Airlines, using my Adobe points, and they were silent, and confused. Even Hilton would not accept Adobe points. Maybe others have found a use for them, but I have not.

Anyway, welcome back,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Hey wassup?
                                      .Buko. Level 1

thanx

• 16. Re: Hey wassup?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome.

Hunt