5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2012 7:48 AM by the_wine_snob

Best settings for shooting sports

spj5kylie

For shooting sports (indoor volleyball and dance competitions) what would the best camera settings, PrE 10 project settings and share to DVD settings be to use? I'm fairly new to PrE and I just picked up a nice used Panasonic AG-HMC150 (AVCHD) for most of the footage, and will also be using a GoPro Hero2 (MP4), so I will have mixed file formats. I don't really need Full 1080 HD, and was told that 720/60p would be better to shoot sports, as I will be doing slow-motion/Time Stretch on some clips. Since I'll be burning the project to a DVD, what would the best Project Settings and Share settings be, and is there any advantage to shooting in 720/60p? (I have a Early 2011 MacBook Pro Core i7 2.3GHz) -Sam

• 1. Re: Best settings for shooting sports
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, you have posted to the Tip & Tricks sub-forum, which is basically a repository for How To articles. Few will see you post here, so I am moving it to the main PrE Forum, where many more can see the post, and likely help you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Best settings for shooting sports
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

60p video has 60 frames per second, twice as many as 60i, in which every two interlaced frames combine to form one frame for a total of 30 frames per second. So, yes, it might be better to catch the action.

And now the not-so-good news:

1. Premiere Elements 10 will work with 1280x720 60p -- but not necessarily with Go Pro footage. Go Pro cams shoot in a codec that might not work well in Premiere Elements. So no guarantees on your Go Pro footage.

2. Your Panasonic may shoot AVCHD 1920x1080 in 60p -- but Premiere Elements can't work with Full AVCHD 1920x1080 60p. It can work with 1920x1080 60i, though.

3. Even if you get your footage into Premiere Elements, your final DVD will be 60i AND it will only be 720x480, since DVDs are only standard definition.

In short, I wouldn't recommend you mix your Go Pro footage with your AVCHD. And, if you shoot with the Panasonic, you should shoot in 1920x1080 60i, not 60p. And you should be prepared for the fact that, even if you shoot in hi-def, your DVD will be standard def.

Anyway, that's my "expert" advice. Do with it what you will.

• 3. Re: Best settings for shooting sports
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that Steve Grisetti saw the post, and has commented.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Best settings for shooting sports
                spj5kylie Level 1

Hi Steve,

Since I just got the Panasonic, I guess I will try a few test mini-projects mixing the AVCHD files and GoPro MP4 files. I've had the GoPro a few months, and did try a small project (3:15) using just GoPro clips shot in 720/60p, with the PrE10 Project Setting of AVCHD Lite 720/30p to see how that would turn out with some slow-motion/Time Stretch effects and a few transitions as one of my first PrE10 projects to practice and get familiar with it. Here is an Unlisted YouTube link (family vacation in Sedona, AZ a few weeks ago) that the kids could post on their Facebook and send to their grandparents: (http://youtu.be/ABxlMoNgQuI).

The slo-mo is not completely smooth like I've read some costly and timely third party software can make it, but it seems adequate for this and probably the high shcool season highlight team DVDs I'll be working on. I also re-did the same project using the settings of AVCHD Lite 720/60p, but did not notice a difference. And I burned the project to a DVD as well and it looks way better on TV than anything I ever shot with my Canon GL-2 standard def mini-DV camera.

Here's another quick project (1:16) of some "net-cam" volleyball highlights with GoPro files (720/60p) using the PrE10 Project Settings of AVCHD Lite 720/60p and slo-mo:

(http://youtu.be/5gSKFI68aJg).

The Panasonic does not record in 1920x1080/60p, just 60i. But since the GoPro is at 1280x720/60p, I think I will try the Panasonic at that setting and at least keep the sizing and frame rate similar for a few tests. So far, just the GoPro stuff seems to work OK in Premiere Elements, the only problem being with the indoor volleyball, even though there were lots of skylights, the exposure is all automatic, so there's no setting of shutter speed to better stop the action within each frame. Thanks, I really appreciate your reply.

• 5. Re: Best settings for shooting sports
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

When mixing footage from different cameras, and editing in PrE, the trick is to shoot in modes, in each camera, that matches the other, as closely, as is possible.

The other option, is to use separate Projects, each matching the Source Footage, then Sharing each Project to the exact same specs. for additional editing.

Good luck,

Hunt