3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2012 12:58 PM by Peter Spier

export settings and printing advice for A0 sized poster

hotwheels222 Level 1

hi all.

i have an A0 sized poster (33" x 46") that i am sending off in the mail and while i have notes here somewhere on correct settings at 24 x 36 i was just hoping to get a second opinion on this. the poster will be at an architecture/design conference and i'd like to retain as much detail as possible.

i will be printing at some US printing shop and i'd also love recommendations on what type of paper or other suggestions on media.

THANK YOU for any advice.

Jon

• 1. Re: export settings and printing advice for A0 sized poster
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

How big a print run? Color? Spot or Process?

Press output will be a bit nicer than an inkjet plotter, but more expensive for a short run. If you want crisp detail, you should print on a gloss coated stock no matter what method it ends up using. If you expect folks to stick their noses up close to this (posters really are designed to viewed from a bit further away than arm's length) and want it to stay crisp when they do your rasters will need to be north of 200 ppi effective resolution, but for typical viewing distances I've found 150 ppi is usually good enough.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: export settings and printing advice for A0 sized poster
            hotwheels222 Level 1

two posters. one to mail and one to take with in case of emergency.

i am still on the upward swing on the learning curve so when you say "when you do your rasters" are you indicating that when i /export/ as jpg i will want the jpg to be north of 200 ppi?

anything else - excepting the fact that when i run a VIEW FULL SIZE it looks heavily rastered (especially the text)?

i mean, the way i  /verify/ if it looks good is just by running a VIEW FULL SIZE pulldown command is that right...?

• 3. Re: export settings and printing advice for A0 sized poster
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

OK, two posters is definitely an inkjet job.

There is no need to export anything to jpeg, unless you are referring to compression of images during the Export to PDF. I mean, as far as effective resolution, the resolution of any raster images you've placed onto the poster. You can read that (ignore the Actual PPI number, you only care about Effective PPI) in either the Info panel with the image selected, or in the Links panel under the link info. Vectors and type don't get rasterized under normal circumstances and scale without degradation in the layout. In the export settings you can set images to downsample to as low as 150 ppi for inkjet work and get satisfactory results, but if you can keep it at 200 ppi or higher and still have a file of managable size I would.

Previewing in ID is iffy. Check the PDF.