8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2012 2:17 PM by Bo LeBeau

How to import high rez photos from Aperture to inDesign

Lookdenfer

I have done a fair bit of research on this but it seems no one has found a good way to do this.  It seems simple enough though... 

- My photos are in Aperture 3.x. 

- I just got inDesign CS6 in order to create a book.

- I can click and drag images from Aperture to inDesign without a problem, except...  that it only brings in the preview.  Not the full rez file.  I don't mind working with the low rez preview of course... as long as it then brings in the full size one at export time.  But that does not seem to happen.

System:  iMac 24", Mac OS 10.8, all the latest version of the various softwares.

I suppose I could first export all of the photos to the desktop but that would represent a time consuming extra step.  There has got to be a better way.  Uhhhh... right???

Thanks for any help.

Lookdenfer

• 1. Re: How to import high rez photos from Aperture to inDesign
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Wrong.

Sorry, but you’re going to have export an image format compatible with InDesign and then place them in ID.

Bob

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to import high rez photos from Aperture to inDesign
            Lookdenfer Level 1

Ouch!  Thank you Bob for your reply.

I must say I am a little stunned by this.  I use Blurb for printing and its free book design software is pretty clumsy for the most part, but at least it allows you direct access to the iPhoto and Aperture libraries from within the program.  Which is a huge time saver.

Darn!  I thought I had finally found a better alternative with inDesign.  So close and yet so far!

LD

• 3. Re: How to import high rez photos from Aperture to inDesign
              Lookdenfer Level 1

I should add that it is not just exporting that is the problem but especially that, once exported to the finder, you don't have an imediate visual preview of all your images at the same time.  You have to click on each one for the preview to display and see what it is.

Is there a better way to do this?

• 4. Re: How to import high rez photos from Aperture to inDesign
                Bo LeBeau Level 4

You mean like selecting "Icon view" from the 4 different view modes at the top of Finder windows?

You can also adjust the size of the previews with the slider at the bottom right of the window in icon view.

Click the below images in the forum to see an enlarged view.

icon view.jpg

Or like "Coverflow view" one of the other views. You can cycle through the photos using the arrow keys on your keyboard.coverflow.jpg

Or by clicking the icon of one of your photos, press the Space bar on the keyboard.

You can then use your right and left arrow keys to cycle through your photos.The subsequent photos will replace the current photo on screen.

Space bar.jpg

Or if you have Creative Suite you can use Bridge to view your photos all at the same time. There are also other features in Bridge. You can even drag photos directly from Bridge to InDesign and it will automatically create the links.

In newer versions of MacOSX and InDesign you can even drag photos directly from the Finder into InDesign and it will again automatically create the links.

• 5. Re: How to import high rez photos from Aperture to inDesign

There is no supported version of OSX or Windows in which you can't do that. It's been supported in ID and even (IIRC) Pagemaker.

• 6. Re: How to import high rez photos from Aperture to inDesign
                    Lookdenfer Level 1

Thank you very much Bo and Bob. 

It's funny how sometimes the answer is staring at you right in the face.  I NEVER use the Icon view in the Finder because it is too slow and doesn't give enough info... except for visual info!  DOH!  Simple and brilliant.

Ironically last night I saw the video about the AlbumFlow script (www.albumflow.com) (which is really cool btw) and he uses Bridge to click and drag photos into ID.  That seems to work pretty well also.

The next logical question then is:  Is there any advantage in going through Bridge instead of simply dragging straight from the Finder?

Thank you for your help.

LD

• 7. Re: How to import high rez photos from Aperture to inDesign

I prefer Bridge since I can filter things just about any way I want including adding/deleting metadata if I need to.

Bob

• 8. Re: How to import high rez photos from Aperture to inDesign
                        Bo LeBeau Level 4

I must have been thinking about the changed behavior to Photoshop CS5 where you are now able to drag closed files from the Mac Finder or Windows Explorer into an open Photoshop document. The one note of caution is that on the Mac it requires an Intel chip so any Power PC Macs need not apply.

I first started with PageMaker 4 where you couldn't even have more than one PM document open at a time. They changed that in PM 5 and it was so nice to be able to have 2 or more PM documents open at the same time.