2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2012 5:37 AM by BobLevine

Transparency Marks in PDF

Mickey Rosa

I have started using InDesign recently with one minor problem. It is all fine until I export using  PDF/X-1a:2001 (as I have been erecommened to do as it converts to CMYK etc). When I then view the PDF it shows slight frame edges around objects, however i have no stroke etc selected. When i export using any other PDF preset or as a JPG these do not appear. Having googled the issue it appears that they are just transparency lines which will not print, however i'm a bit hesitant to send jobs to clients/print with these appearing.

All advice would be appreciated.

I'm using CS5 on OsX

• 1. Re: Transparency Marks in PDF
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Check with your printer and see if your printer requires transparency to be flattened (the PDF/X-1a option). As long as you're flattening, you may run into these artifacts. You're correct: These artifacts don't print on high resolution devices. If you're sending a file for review, you could export using a PDF preset that doesn't flatten (e.g., High Quality Print).

• 2. Re: Transparency Marks in PDF
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

As Steve says, but…I would go back to whomever recommended that and ask why.

The 2001 in that standard is the year. X/1-a is very old standard used in archaic workflows and it's really not unheard of for publications to ignore their file specs even after updating equipment and workflows.

Bob