2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2012 7:43 AM by the_wine_snob

Editing raw video/saving individual clips

jvstream78

New to Premier Elements 10. Is there a way to save individual video clips after chopping up my raw video. Or should I be using another program? I simply want to convert a long video into shorter segments for my files and ease of future use. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Editing raw video/saving individual clips
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you're just wanting to make a large video into shorter scenes, you'll be better off using a program like Scenalyzer, which does it automatically.

• 2. Re: Editing raw video/saving individual clips
            the_wine_snob Level 9

There are several methods for accomplishing this, and Steve's recommendation for SceneAlyzer is a good one, if one wants the longer Source File broken into "scenes."

When creating "sub-clips" * one must consider Handles, as if they edit too tightly, and then use those "sub-clips" in a Project, and apply Transitions, Handles will be necessary. This article goes into Handles in more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/701768?tstart=60

Also, using a CODEC, that does either light compression, or lossless compression, will pay quality dividends, when one goes to edit those "sub-clips." This article goes into more detail, for some lossless CODEC's: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/875797?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

* The term "sub-clips" is used here to denote shortened and edited Clips from a larger "master clip." Note: in Premiere Pro, and some other NLE (Non Linear Editor) programs, there is an official term Sub-Clips, that have a slightly different meaning, and function, within a Project. Similar, but different. Here, I am using the term in a slightly different fashion, hence the " marks, and lack of capitalization.