• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iOS mobile development without Apple/Mac possible?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Is it possible to develop/deploy an iOS mobile app (for iPad) on a PC?

I already developed an Android app using Flash Builder and now I would like build the app for iOS also. I've found some conflicting information on the web. On the iOS Developer Program site I found the following: "You must have an Intel-based Mac running Mac OS X Snow Leopard or later to develop iOS apps for the App Store."

Is this correct? Or can I use my Flash Builder (4.6) running on Windows to create a package for iOS? Eventually upload it to the App Store?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,

Wim.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Wim,

For complete information about the iOS development process using Flash Builder, please see http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flex/mobileapps/WS064a3073e805330f6c6abf312e7545f65e-8000.html. This topic  contains detailed information about how to obtain a developer certificate, generate a provisioning profile, build and deploy the application.

Hope this helps,

Mallika Yelandur

Adobe Community Help & Learning

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wim,

You can use Flash Builder 4.6 running on Windows to create a package for iOS from windows, but you would need the certificate and provisioning profile provided by apple to package the ipa.

Thanks,

Hari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the partial answer. The question remains, do I need a Mac to get this certificate and provisioning profile?

Edit: I found the following link: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/as3/iphone/WS144092a96ffef7cc-33e1d8031250a54a821-7fff.html . It involves iPhone and Flash Professional CS5, but maybe it also applies to Flash Builder?

Regards,

Wim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, You would require Mac for creating Certificate and Provisioning profile.

-Hari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wim,

For complete information about the iOS development process using Flash Builder, please see http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flex/mobileapps/WS064a3073e805330f6c6abf312e7545f65e-8000.html. This topic  contains detailed information about how to obtain a developer certificate, generate a provisioning profile, build and deploy the application.

Hope this helps,

Mallika Yelandur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mallika,

Thank you for the step-by-step explanation. I was able to generate all necessary files. But I'm still stuck.

When I try to export a release build to test the app on a specific iPad, I select the p12 certificate and mobile provision file, but I get an error stating that a password is necessary for the specified certificate (attached image).

While executing the different steps, the need for a password was never mentioned. The only password I have is the one I use to login on the Apple Development Program.

Am I missing something?

Capture1.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Wim -

When you convert your iOS developer/distribution certificate to a P12 file format (*.p12), you will be prompted to create a password. You will need to enter the same password in the Export Release Build dialog (as shown in your screenshot).

This is a good blog post that explains how to do it on Windows using OpenSSL (with a screenshot of the prompt command window): http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2011/09/22/creation-of-an-iphone-app-with-flash-and-without-a-mac-fo...

Hope this helps,

Mallika Yelandur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2012 Nov 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have read elsewhere saying that one would need the Application Loader, which only runs on iOS, in order to submit one's apps to the App Store. 

So, you don't need Application Loader anymore to deploy iPhone apps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines