16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2012 11:54 AM by elliot-n

ACR 7.1 - very slow on Mac mini

elliot-n Level 1

Hi

I'm running the trial version of CS6 on a new Mac mini.

I like the features in ACR 7.1 but I'm finding it very slow.

Dragging the Temperature slider takes about 5 seconds before the image updates. Is this normal?

This is with just one Nikon D700 Nef open in ACR, and no other apps running. I've already worked the file up, making adjustments to lens correction, sharpening, noise reduction, and using a couple of adjustment brushes.

If I progressively switch these settings off, the Temperature slider gradually goes back to being reasonably responsive. But I'd like to be able to fine tune the colour after doing these other adjustments.

Any way I can speed it up?

Thanks!

Mac mini 2.7 i7, AMD 6630, 16Gb RAM, 7200rpm 750Gb HD.

Eizo CG275W

Photoshop CS6

ACR 7.1.0.354

Mountain Lion 10.8.1

• 1. Re: ACR 7.1 - very slow on Mac mini
          Level 5

How much VRAM is on that card ? Have you tried un-checking the Use Graphics Processor setting in Photoshop > Preferences > Performance

I was considering a Mac Mini, so this thread is important to me.

• 2. Re: ACR 7.1 - very slow on Mac mini
            elliot-n Level 1

256Mb VRAM. (This is the mini with discreet graphics - I thought it would be best for Photoshop.)

Yes, I have played around with settings in Photoshop > Preferences > Performance.

I had been finding even simple things in Photoshop were very slow too - like zooming in from 50% to 100%, or dragging out a selection with the polygonal lasso - both operations were lagging.

Currently I have 'Use Graphics Processor' checked, and 'Drawing Mode' set to 'Basic'. History and Cache I've clicked the Default button. History states: 30. Cache Levels: 4. Cache Tile Size: 1024K.

Photoshop is now running ok with these settings.  (Previously I had Drawing Mode set to Advanced, and I think that was slowing things down.)

But ACR is still very sluggish.

• 3. Re: ACR 7.1 - very slow on Mac mini
              Noel Carboni Level 7

A.  I don't think the GPU is directly involved with Camera Raw operations (other than the normal process of putting things on the screen).

B.  I don't believe Camera Raw reads the Photoshop GPU "Use Graphics Processor" or other preferences from Photoshop proper.  There is no plug-in API for it.

These things have nothing to do with the problem.  The crux of the matter is this:

Some systems update their Camera Raw displays in virtual real time - When I move sliders I see the preview display change immediately - in a tiny fraction of a second.  For the sake of argument, say 0.2 seconds, though honestly that's conservative - it's actually faster than that.

Some other systems show an update time of what is being described here - e.g., 5 seconds.

Who can explain why the observed operation performance should be a whopping 20+ times different on two different computers? 

These systems aren't 20x different in processor power!  This is not just a performance issue!

-Noel

• 4. Re: ACR 7.1 - very slow on Mac mini
                elliot-n Level 1

Noel, thank you for your observations.

I had my doubts as to whether the Mac mini's GPU was involved in ACR operations, but I was asked for the info, and so I provided it.

To clarify:

ACR on my Mac mini can preview White Balance adjustments in (almost) real time - if I've made no other ACR adjustments to the image.

Yet as soon as I add some sharpening, noise reduction, and lens correction, the White Balance slider slows to a crawl (5 seconds to get a preview if I slide from the blue end to the yellow end of the White Balance slider).

I don't think its a RAM issue (I have 16Gb, much of it free), so I guess it must be down to processor power (I have dualcore i7 2.7Ghz).

Or maybe ACR has always been a bit sluggish? (Up until now I've been using Raw Developer - a stripped down and speedy raw convertor.)

• 5. Re: ACR 7.1 - very slow on Mac mini
                  Noel Carboni Level 7

It's a known fact that ACR is getting slower, version by version, but I think we're onto something here that is beyond a performance issue.

Just as a test, I have some sharpening, noise reduction, and lens correction dialed-in to a 4096 x 6144 image in Camera Raw right now.  Basically, everything's turned on.  Plus I have the dialog covering virtually all of a 1600 x 1200 display. 

Color Temperature adjustments are still fluid and the display updates at least 4 or 5 times a second.

I have a good (2007 design) 8 core worksation, but I find it hard to imagine that the difference between my compute power and yours is so egregiously different that it should make your results show on the screen 20x slower.  What Intel processor does your Mac Mini have in it?

-Noel

• 6. Re: ACR 7.1 - very slow on Mac mini
                    elliot-n Level 1

Thanks for doing a comparison test.

What Intel processor? I can't tell you more than I already did: Dualcore, i7, 2.7Ghz (it's a current Mac mini, released about a year ago).

Only other thing I can think of is the size of my monitor - I have ACR in Full Screen mode on a 2560 x1440 27" Eizo CG275W.

• 7. Re: ACR 7.1 - very slow on Mac mini
                      Noel Carboni Level 7

Geez, I'm sorry; I lost track of the fact that you had already put that info up just a few posts up.

I looked up the i7 processor performance.  From what I can see your system has about 40% of the compute power of my system.  You shouldn't be seeing a night and day difference in display update speed.  It should be roughly half the speed - in other words you should see a couple of screen updates a second - not 5 seconds between updates.  That's a 10x difference that's unexplainable.

Try the theory that the size of the preview is bogging things down...  Make the window not cover the entire monitor, but only about 2/3 of it, then it'll be a similar size to what I'm using.

-Noel

• 8. Re: ACR 7.1 - very slow on Mac mini
                        Level 5

My dedicated CS6/ACR 7.x system is substantially more underpowered than your Mac Mini, yet I see no such lag in ACR.  Dragging the Temperature adjustment slider is practically real-time, with the preview refreshing in a fraction of a second that I can barely see and have no way of measuring.

I'm now running ACR 7.2RC1, but I don't remember seeing a lag in ACR 7.1 either.

My main working machine is a Power Mac (PPC) G5 Quad with 16 GB of RAM, on which 11.0.2 is the last version of Photoshop to run, so I have the Mac-Intel system described below just to run ACR 7.x under Photoshop 13.0.1.  I convert my raw files in ACR7.x open them in Ps 13.0.x and save them via Ethernet to an external HD connected to the G5 Quad for further processing in CS4. The Mac-Intel is used for no other purpose and the only other application I occasionally run on said Mac-Intel is TextEdit.

2007, 2GHz MacBook 2,1, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB of RAM (can use 3 GB), 160 GB internal boot disk, dedicated FireWire400 external HD for Ps scratch disk, external Time Machine HD.  Snow Leopard 10.6.8. 

I literally rescued this MacBook from the trash, where it had landed when my wife was told by local Apple Macgenius staff that it was beyond repair, when in reality all that was wrong with it was a bulging battery exerting upward pressure on the track pad and keyboard.  That was easy to replace for $20 or so through Amazon.com. 

So, from where I sit,  either you have a machine-specific problem somewhere, or the culprit in your issue is Mountain Poop.

• 9. Re: ACR 7.1 - very slow on Mac mini
                          elliot-n Level 1

Yes, maybe it's a Mountain Lion issue. When I installed ML my whole system seemd fine, but I've sinced realised that certain things have broken - Eizo ColorNavigator software no longer works, Photo Mechanic has become buggy (though that's about to be fixed by the developer).

Like the previous poster I do much of my Photoshop work on an old machine (a G5 2.3 dualcore, 12Gb ram, running CS2). It's a bit of a shock to buy the latest hardware and software only to discover that things run slower.

• 10. Re: ACR 7.1 - very slow on Mac mini
                            elliot-n Level 1

What makes this more frustrating is that I went through a similar process 6 months ago.

I bought a Mac mini (the quadcore Mac mini Server) and Photoshop CS5. Totally buggy - unusable as the brush cursor kept on disappearing. Apple gave me a refund for the mini, and my copy of CS5 went unused.

Is hoping Photoshop will run well on a lowly computer like the Mac mini over-optimistic?

----

Noel, I've tried making the ACR window different sizes and this does make a big difference to the rate the preview updates:

Full screen (2560x1440): 5 seconds

1920x1080 (approx): 2.5 seconds

Tiny (smallest): 0.5 seconds

• 11. Re: ACR 7.1 - very slow on Mac mini
                              Level 5

elliot-n wrote:

…Is hoping Photoshop will run well on a lowly computer like the Mac mini over-optimistic?…

No, not at all.  It runs well on my lowly MacBook described above, and that machine is working with dual 22" CRT monitors plus its own built-in screen.

Obviously running ACR full screen on a large monitor makes a difference in your case.

• 12. Re: ACR 7.1 - very slow on Mac mini
                                Noel Carboni Level 7

elliot-n wrote:

Noel, I've tried making the ACR window different sizes and this does make a big difference to the rate the preview updates:

Full screen (2560x1440): 5 seconds

1920x1080 (approx): 2.5 seconds

Tiny (smallest): 0.5 seconds

Well, I'm not far from your 1920 x 1080 size on my 1600 x 1200 screen.  Just for grins I just made a camera raw window 3200 x 1200 (across BOTH my monitors), and opened up a Canon 5D II 20 megapixel raw image with a crop rotation, lens corrections, adjustment brush pins, you name it....  I zoomed the image so every pixel of the preview area is used.

When I move the Temperature slider it updates the display at between 2 and 3 frames per second.

Still seems like an unexplainable 10x+ difference in performance to me.

Keep pushing for a solution.

-Noel

• 13. Re: ACR 7.1 - very slow on Mac mini
                                  elliot-n Level 1

Ok, thanks for your input guys.

It sounds like ACR 7.1 is not running optimally on the Mac mini (AMD Radeon HD 6630M graphics).

Do Adobe read these forums? I'd like to troubleshoot this problem with them.

• 14. Re: ACR 7.1 - very slow on Mac mini
                                    Noel Carboni Level 7

elliot-n wrote:

Do Adobe read these forums? I'd like to troubleshoot this problem with them.

We can only hope.

But Adobe is strangely silent on bugs in Camera Raw.  On more than one occasion I've had to get pretty aggressive to engage them at all.  I suggest you bump this thread from time to time until you get some answers.

Eric Chan et. al., you folks need to deal with this! You're smart enough to see there's some kind of thrashing or bug on some systems (Macs and PCs) that apparently causes an egregious slowdown in the operation of both Camera Raw and Lightroom, and you can't just pass it off as just a performance issue where some systems are more powerful than others.  How quickly does it operate on YOUR Mac Mini system?  It's easy to compare.

-Noel

• 15. Re: ACR 7.1 - very slow on Mac mini
                                      elliot-n Level 1

That's interesting - 36mp Nikon D800 files are no slower in ACR than 12mp Nikon D700 files. About 4 or 5 seconds to redraw the screen after a Temperature slider adjustment.

• 16. Re: ACR 7.1 - very slow on Mac mini
                                        elliot-n Level 1

I've experimented converting these Nefs to Dngs with 'Embed Fast Load Data' checked. Unfortunately everything is just as slow.