5 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2008 10:11 AM by Joe ... Ward

SQLite Professional Support

wteshots
      I would like to have an encrypted database for my application. I did some research on SQLite and they have a professional version that can be licensed for a one time fee of $2000 ( http://www.hwaci.com/sw/sqlite/prosupport.html). Is there anyway for me to add that SQLite database to AIR for use rather than using the standard SQLite database?
        • 1. Re: SQLite Professional Support
          Oliver Goldman Adobe Employee
          No, replacing the built-in copy of SQLite is not possible.

You can directly store encrypted data using the Encrypted Local Store feature. You can also encrypted the data first and then store it in the database.

Oliver Goldman | Adobe AIR Engineering

• 2. Re: SQLite Professional Support
            Slightly off-topic... is it possible to load sqlite extensions?
            Eg:
            SELECT load_extension('libfts1.dll');
            • 3. Re: SQLite Professional Support
              wethor
              Thanks for the information. I actually have more data to store than 10MB which is the limit for Encrypted Local Store because I looked into that first. I wanted a solution that didn't require me to write an encryption/decryption each time I wrote to the database, but it seems like that is what is needed. So, I'll probably go down that route...
              • 4. Re: SQLite Professional Support
                lhbacker
                I had read where someone mentioned encrypting the SQLite file when the AIR app is not in use and just decrypting the entire database during usage (via the Encrypted Local Store). Does anyone have any thoughts on this method? I would assume that this means the database would need to stay before 10MB. What about performance considerations? Is there some other way to secure the SQLite database?
                • 5. Re: SQLite Professional Support
                  Joe ... Ward Level 4
                  SQLite uses temporary files that may contain database fields, so using the ELS to store the database when the application isn't running may still leave some information unencrypted on disk. As far as performance is concerned, it would depend on how often you wrote the database back to the ELS.