Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC Self-Paced Learning

Contributor ,
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate v5.5

I am trying to test the Self-Paced Learning option on the TOC.

I have created a CBT with a TOC and have selected the Self-Paced Learning option.

TOC Settings.png

I run the project (F4) and stop it after 3 chapters. I look at the TOC and there are the required green ticks on the TOC for the first 3 chapters - all fine so far.

Then I run the project again (F4) but the project starts from slide 1 and the ticks are no longer visible.

Will this option only work once the project has been uploaded to our LMS or am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks in advance,

Noel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Actually, the Self Paced Learning option is of no use at all if you have published your project with settings to report to an LMS.  It can only be used when Quiz Settings > Enable Reporting for this Project is deselected.

When publishing for an LMS, Captivate always assumes you will be using Resume Data bookmarking, NOT Self Paced Learning bookmarking.

However, although Resume Data Bookmarking is designed for LMS integration, it does not update the Captivate TOC markers on subsequent user sessions

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel.

This option will work with published output. Please publish your project and then open it in a web browser(IE, Mozilla) and then close it, reopen the project, It will give you a pop up in your machine "Continue from where you stopped last time?" with "Ok and Cancel". You will not get any popup in LMS.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Priyank

Thanks,
Priyank Shrivastava

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the Self Paced Learning option is of no use at all if you have published your project with settings to report to an LMS.  It can only be used when Quiz Settings > Enable Reporting for this Project is deselected.

When publishing for an LMS, Captivate always assumes you will be using Resume Data bookmarking, NOT Self Paced Learning bookmarking.

However, although Resume Data Bookmarking is designed for LMS integration, it does not update the Captivate TOC markers on subsequent user sessions as does Self Paced Learning.

It's one of those nice little Catch 22 situations...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod,

My project is going to be published on the LMS, so it is good to know the "Self-Paced Learning" TOC option does not work on the LMS.

Thanks again,

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

I have another question but related.

I published my project locally in my hard drive, unchecked "Enable reporting for this project", and it works, but because I use user-defined variables to track viewed slides (I assign a value of 1 for each variable -on enter- to each slide and then check this value before allowing the user to take the quiz. if any of these variables doesn't have the value 1 he can't take the quiz and he will be directed to the first slide), so when I open the project and view some slides then close it and open it again it shows a message to ask to continue from the last viewed slide in the last session but my variables and advanced action don't allow the user to resume from the last viewed slide. Can I use the value of "status flag" instead of using user defined variable to track viewed slides.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your user variables might not be useful in a situation involving Self-paced Learning bookmarking unless you have a way to store their values locally on the user's PC and then retrieve those values again when they resume.  The default method that Captivate uses for Resume Data bookmarking uses local storage, but it's not going to automatically store YOUR extra user variables.  You need to set that up yourself using custom coding or widgets.

Are you publishing to HTML5 or SWF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Priyank

Please also see my reply to Rod.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel,

Self paced learning works when you publish your project to one of the trusted folders.  Try including the published location as trusted location and verify.

Regards,

Avinash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Avinash,

Please also see my reply to Rod.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources