What is the functionality of  "Shift +/"    = Mark Clip in timeline

ie . How is it used / useful?

• 1. Re: Shift +/
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Don't know.  Never use it myself.

• 2. Re: Shift +/
            Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Very useful...

Provided a track is selected, the clip under the playhead is selected.

• 3. Re: Shift +/
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Meh...easier to just click the clip.

• 4. Re: Shift +/
                Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Ah, but that doesn't mark it with in and out points.  You save 4 keystrokes this way.

• 5. Re: Shift +/
                  shooternz Level 6

So once you select it in this manner as opposed to Jims "click the clip" ...whatc do you do with it differently?

• 6. Re: Shift +/
                    Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Well that depends upon how you edit.

I frequently want to wrap a clip with in and out points.. For example, if I have a green screen master on track two and want to drop in a background on track one of exactly the same length, i use shift/.  Likewise if I want to play a specific clip only, I use shift/ followed by ctl shift space bar. 

For me it saves so many clicks and speeds the whole process up.

• 7. Re: Shift +/
                      needles27 Level 3

Another use:  Since Warp Stabilizer is so funky and it sometimes necessitates the need to export intermediary clips and re-import, I apply WS to a clip, set the in/out points on just that clip with the keystrokes listed above, then go to export the in-out from AME.  If you have a ton of clips to do, the quick addition of in to out on a clip is helpful.

• 8. Re: Shift +/
                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can use it for a Four-point-edit.You do not have to click on the clip just place the playhead over the clip.

• 9. Re: Shift +/
                          shooternz Level 6

Thanx all.

• 10. Re: Shift +/
                            Jim Curtis Level 3

It's a way to select in and out on a blank area, after you select the blank area.

• 11. Re: Shift +/
                              Jon-M-Spear Level 4

There you are, Jim S, you learn something every day ;-|

• 12. Re: Shift +/
                                Allynn Wilkinson Level 2

So glad I found this!  I used "X marks the Clip" in FCP 7 all the time as a quick way to insert PowerPoint slides in a lecture.  I knew there had to be something similar in Premiere. My students will be delighted!

Here's the workflow if anyone is interested.  Cut the lecture up into clips where you want to cut away to the Powerpoint slide or other image.  Target the V2 track (and remember to target audio off!).  Mark the clip with "shift /".  Load the slide in the source.  Hit overwrite.  Select "fit to fill".  Move on to the next one. 

The first tme we had to do this in FCP was an art class with dual projectors.  Needless to say, we got pretty fast at it by the end of the semester.

• 13. Re: Shift +/
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Personally I'd rather keep the lecture footage in tact and just add the slides to V2.

• 14. Re: Shift +/
                                    shooternz Level 6

...and thats how I would do it also.

• 15. Re: Shift +/
                                      SimonHy Level 2

I'd do it as the original poster suggested.

I use as few video layers as necessary at any time. If everything can be done to create that look on V1, do it on V1. I might make a duplicate of my sequence first so it's easy to go back as I do throughout the edit, but that's it. When a number of very experienced editors told me that I should be using less video layers, I resisted at first and found it hard, but ultimately it's been very freeing. It's a mentality thing more than anything else - real editors make decisions.

Shift/ is pretty handy, but once they impliment a few more keyboard based controls like moving clips up and down tracks it'll really start to sing.

• 16. Re: Shift +/
                                        bhamm23

I use it a lot (remapped it to a single keystroke); Very useful for keyboard driven editing in some scenarios...sets the in & out without stopping playback, follow it up with setting your new in or out point, then lift/extract as needed, rinse & repeat -- three keystrokes total & your mouse can rest up while you blow through your rough cut.

• 17. Re: Shift +/
                                          Allynn Wilkinson Level 2

Read my post closely, Jim.  I specifically say that I target the V2 video track.  I only cut up the lecture for the purpose of setting the duration of the slide in the track above.  Here is where I really wish Premiere had "show thru edits".  Actually, usually, I target the V3 track because the PPT slides are 4:3 and I have to put a matte under them (again using the shift /).  I do agree with SimonHy, though.  The fewer layers the better in general but it's mostly my students doing this so I like to keep more control.

• 18. Re: Shift +/
                                            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

There are a number of advantages to using mark clip. A few are suggested here.

Here's the most important thing to know about Mark Clip: It sets In and Out marks precisely around the clip.

If you set In and Out marks by dragging the Playhead, and then overwrite a new clip into the Timeline, you are actually cutting in to the first frame of the next clip. You don't want that. Note the following screen shot, and note the position of the Out point.

markclipplayhead.png

Marking a clip by dragging the playhead to the end of the clip results in setting the Out point one frame into the incoming clip. This is apparent when zooming into the clip 100%. Many people edit for years without realizing they are doing this in error.

Markclipnormal.png

Using the mark clip function, you can see the Out Point is marked precisely. Sweet!

If you are in the habit of setting In and Out Points with the Playhead, when setting Out, press the left arrow once before marking. You will then set marks as Mark Clip does. Do this enough times, and you will probably start using Mark Clip more often.

• 19. Re: Shift +/

Allynn Wilkinson wrote:

Cut the lecture up into clips where you want to cut away to the Powerpoint slide or other image.  Target the V2 track (and remember to target audio off!).  Mark the clip with "shift /".  Load the slide in the source.  Hit overwrite.  Select "fit to fill".  Move on to the next one.

I use the same workflow to create titles, graphics, picture-in-picture, superimpose, and stills that are the exact length of the clip on V1. The step you left out was selecting the tracks. Select V1 and V2, and then target V2 for overwriting graphics or a title to that track.

• 20. Re: Shift +/

SimonHy wrote:

...once they impliment a few more keyboard based controls like moving clips up and down tracks it'll really start to sing.

Please create a feature request for this: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish