7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2012 9:21 AM by conroy RSS

CS6 killed Merge Layers. How do I merge layers?

oxjox

For what I need Photoshop for, I use CMD-E all the time to create raster graphics from vector shapes.  I often use this feature to combine shape layers to create buttons.  So, this completely destroys my work flow.  Thanks Adobe.

The only work around I've found is to create an additional raster layer to merge with the vector layers.  Any other ideas before I just go back to CS5?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: CS6 killed Merge Layers. How do I merge layers?
          conroy Community Member

Target all required Shape layers, right-click pick Rasterize Layers then Cmd+E to merge into one raster layer.

You can assign your choice of key combination to Rasterize Layers command. You can create an Action that performs the rasterize and merge.

• 2. Re: CS6 killed Merge Layers. How do I merge layers?
            Noel Carboni Community Member

I don't have any problem merging shape layers.  I just select them and Control - E.  Now the paths are merged, as opposed to Photoshop CS5 rasterizing them automatically. It's hard to see that as a negative, frankly.

Perhaps you could create an action to do the rasterization then merge, and assign it to a key.  You'll just have to learn a new key instead of Cmd-E.

Or you could update your workflow and continue to use the merged shape layers as a shape.  That might provide you some advantages in the future.  Is there something you subsequently do to your rasterized buttons that can't be supported by doing that?

-Noel

• 3. Re: CS6 killed Merge Layers. How do I merge layers?
              R_Kelly Community Member

Maybe you could put the shape layers into a group and then Ctrl+E is merge group.

Untitled-2.png

• 4. Re: CS6 killed Merge Layers. How do I merge layers?
                oxjox Community Member

I need them to rasterize automatically.  Frankly, not doing so completely destroys my workflow.  I do this hundreds of times a day so the addition of one more button press or contextual click really is a pain in the ***.

I moved back to CS5 for a while but somehow files are now opening with CS6 automatically now so I tried to deal with it.  For some reason my computer won't let me reassign PSDs to open with CS5.  Looks like I need to uninstall CS6.

I just need Adobe to fix what they broke.  That wont happen ever so I'll be stuck using CS5 forever.

• 5. Re: CS6 killed Merge Layers. How do I merge layers?
                  Noel Carboni Community Member

Technology marches on.  Sometimes things are changed, though thankfully Adobe does about as little of that with Photoshop as any application you'll ever find.

Either you have to get used to doing things a slightly different way, or you have to work around the problem (e.g., by creating a new key definition that invokes an action or script to do things the way you need).

It's a shame that the particular sequence of operations you do now produces a slightly different result.  Trust me, I've been there, I know how hard that is to deal with (recalling when I switched from windowed to tabbed view).

But know this:  For any human being it really only takes a few (sometimes painful) weeks to break old habits and develop new ones.  Here's the bottom line:  Two weeks of working a little less efficiently isn't a reasonable justification to avoid keeping current.  Once you get through it you look back and realize you've grown.

Though it's hard to imagine now, if people can stop smoking there's a very good chance you can stop expecting Control-E to rasterize your vector shapes.

-Noel

P.S., far be it from me to criticize your workflow, but this could be an opportunity to re-evaluate the way you're doing what you're doing.  Maybe keeping the image elements as vector shapes could ultimately provide you some advantages.  Just a thought.

• 6. Re: CS6 killed Merge Layers. How do I merge layers?
                    TLL... Community Member

"I just need Adobe to fix what they broke."

There's a lot of that going around...

• 7. Re: CS6 killed Merge Layers. How do I merge layers?
                      conroy Community Member

oxjox wrote:

I need them to rasterize automatically.  Frankly, not doing so completely destroys my workflow.  I do this hundreds of times a day so the addition of one more button press or contextual click really is a pain in the ***.

If you make an Action, as I said above, and assign a Fn key to it, one press of one finger will do your rasterized-merge.