3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2012 8:29 PM by thisisastupidscreenname

How can I combine two video files into one finished file?

thisisastupidscreenname

I'm making a video of a guitar player.  I'm using two cameras simultaneously.  One gives the overall wide shot, and the other is zoomed in on his hands.  Both cameras run at the same time.  I would like to use the wide shot as the main video, and occasionally fade in clips from the zoomed in shot to show details of his playing.  I can manually line up both files so they are synchronized.  How do I cut a clip out of the main (wide) shot, leave the gap there, and insert a clip from the closeup?  I'm putting the two video files on two of the video timelines and synchronizing them that way.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

• 1. Re: How can I combine two video files into one finished file?
          nealeh Level 5

The effect you are looking for is 'Picture in Picture'. If you want the gap to be there for the duration of the timeline add some 'black video' - from the Tasks Pane> New Item - on the video track above the main track. Resize / position it to where you wish it to be.

Then with your second clip (now on video track 3)

• Do the same sizing / positioning for it.
          • split video and audio and delete or disable the audio.
          • Cut it where you want the various start/ends of the fade to be.
          • Delete, or just disable (right-click) the unnecessary segments.
          • Apply fade in / out to the remaining segments.

[EDIT]

Also check out the 'Presets' in Video Effects. There are a variety of PiP presets that may do what you need.

[/EDIT]

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can I combine two video files into one finished file?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

PrE does not have full Multi-camera functionality, like PrPro does, so mult-cam is a bit more involved. Many users will place the "second camera" footage on Video Track 2 (or higher), above the main camera footage on Video Track 1, then adjust its Opacity (the Fixed Effect>Opacity), down, so that they can see the footage from the main camera, but still see some of the second camera.

Then, you would Cut (the Scissors/Razor Tool will do that), and then Delete, but without the Close Gap, They would make the same Cuts on the footage on Video Track 2, and while holding down Ctrl, drag that Cut Clip to fill the gap.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How can I combine two video files into one finished file?
              thisisastupidscreenname Level 1

Thanks Bill and Neal.  Great answers and seems very straightforward.  I'll give it a try.