4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2008 2:11 PM by Wolfgang Herold

Looking for Answers

Vabsgfx
      Dear All

There is a medical presentation which is made in Director MX 2004 and i am experiencing the following problems:

a. The presentation is made in 1024x768 resolution. I wanted it to becomes automatically full screen, if presentation cd is played in lower or high resolution, depending on the users monitor settings.
      b. There are 2 mpeg video files in the presentation which needs to be embedded in the presentation so as, even if the video files are not burned in the final cd, the presentation still runs the embedded video files.
      c. The presentation has 2 softwares required to view it, which are quicktimeinstaller.exe and shockwave.exe. I wanted the autorun script in such a way that whenever a person runs the cd, those two software should automatically install and then the start.exe(which is the projector file of the director) should run.
      d. In the Exit link of the presentation in the end, i wanted that as soon as the user clicks on EXIT, the last slide should show the page for 20-30 sec and then it should automatically close the presentation window.
      e. I also wanted to make that cd only READ ONLY so that no body can copy that presentation on his/her hard drive.

Kindly let me know the solutions to these problems..
      Looking forward for a genuine reply.
      Vabsgfx
        • 1. Re: Looking for Answers
          rafa@mediatech Level 1
          Hi Vabsgfx:
          I am not an expert in director, but I do know some things from experience.

A. I believe on the publish settings you can select full screen as an option when the file is played. Problem I have found with this with large projects like yours, if the user has the resolution of his PC at 800x600, then not all parts of your presentation will show, part of the screen gets cut off. I use an extra called MagicRes that allows the .exe to change the resolution of the monitor when the project starts and then resets the monitor when the presentation is done.

B. I do not believe you can embed videos into director, they are only referenced from somewhere in your CD drive. Maybe if you convert it to a flash video you would be able to embed it. Director uses the player installed on the users computer to play the videos, so technically director is not the one playing the .mpgs...

C. You can set (on a time line script) for director to run any .exe installer you want:
          on mouseUp me
          open the moviepath&"quicktimeinstaller.exe"
          end
          Now, this doesn't solve the issue of "if the customer already has the software installed..." you probably need something like buddyAPI to search to see if the software is installed first, if not, then run quicktimeinstaller.exe.

D. Create a marker, name it "exit." Place the desire page under the marker. Lets say you placed your marker on frame 30. Now on Frame 35 make another marker...name it whatever.On your library tab, select the navigation options, and place the script named "Loop for X seconds" right after the "exit" marker on frame 34. Then select 30 seconds...this makes the play head loop for whichever amnt of time you want. Then on the drop down, tell it to go to the marker you created on frame 35 after it is done looping. Now, on frame 36....or 37...or any other after 35, create another frame script and write:
          on exitFrame me
          halt
          end

Halt makes your project quit.

E. CD protection...this is complicated. You will need software to protect your CD, like CD cops, or Macrovision...I believe Sony makes one too. They all work differently, but achieve the same goal...some of them do not assure you it will protect the disc if the user is using Vista, and some of them do not protect resource file, only executable files, so it wouldn't protect your .mpgs.

I hope this answered your questions...I am sure any of the other forum users will correct me if I mis-informed you. Good Luck!
          • 2. Re: Looking for Answers
            rafa@mediatech Level 1
            oops!
            on answer C it should say:
            on exitFrame me
            end
            you can use if placed on a button:
            on mouseUp me
            end

if you want the user to click a button that will run the installer
            • 3. Re: Looking for Answers
              Wolfgang Herold Level 2
              some other suggestions.
              ad1. you can zoom your presentations to fullscreen if you insert following into your moviescript:

on preparemovie
              (the stage).rect = (the desktopRectList)[1]
              (the stage).drawRect = (the desktopRectList)[1]
              end

problem: if your movie is 4:3 and your monitor is 16:9(10) everything will be distorted.

ad.2
              you can only embedd swfs with embedded flv-videos.

ad.3
              if you want to include qt_installer and shockwave installer on your disc you must get in contact with apple and adobe, or you will get problems with licensing.
              Note: shockwave is not needed, if used with dir_apllications. It is included in the xtra.

ad.4
              if you only doing a static "goodbye"page, jump to marker 'exit' and
              insert a WAIT in the tempochannel. in the scriptchannel insert
              the halt-script.
              on exitFrame me
              halt
              end

:) Wolfgang
              • 4. Re: Looking for Answers
                Wolfgang Herold Level 2
                sorry forgot something for fullscreen.
                change the moviescript to:

on preparemovie
                if the runmode <> "Author" then
                (the stage).rect = (the desktopRectList)[1]
                (the stage).drawRect = (the desktopRectList)[1]
                end if
                end

that will protect you of scaling your stage while authoring.

:) Wolfgang