22 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2014 9:17 AM by Laubender

ID CS6 export to PDF behavior

pjlittlewood

I have just upgraded form CS4 to CS6.

When exporting to PDF in ID CS4 I was presented with a progress bar whilst exporting. Also after exporting the finished PDF would open in Acrobat.

In ID CS6 neither of these things happen. I can see the advantage of still being able to use ID whilst the export is going on but I can't see indication anywhere of its progress. Am I missing something? Is there at least a setting somewhere that I can get the PDF to open in Acrobat so I can tell when ID has finished exporting?

I frequently work with files that take quite a few minutes to export to PDF and not knowing the state of their progress is quite awkward. More than once I have grabbed a PDF to email or file away that turns out to have been only partly exported because ID is still in the process of exporting.

• 1. Re: ID CS6 export to PDF behavior
          pjlittlewood Level 1

OK I'm an idiot - I have found the checkbox for "View PDF after Exporting".

I still miss some kind of progress indicator though :/

• 2. Re: ID CS6 export to PDF behavior
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

PDF export is done in the background. If you truly enjoy the "paint drying" experience, open the background tasks panel. There's also a very small indicator in the application bar.

Bob

• 3. Re: ID CS6 export to PDF behavior
              pjlittlewood Level 1

Perfect.

Thanks Bob.

• 4. Re: ID CS6 export to PDF behavior
                Mike Fernbank Level 1

I don't appreciate the ignorant sarcasim, Bob. I like to know when the PDF is done and how it is progressing because I often want to send it to someone. I now have to click it at random times to find out or check the file size to know when it is finished. I very much miss the progress bar. I work with very large files that take a while to finish exporting. I imagine you are working with tiny, easy to export files and thus your comment.

• 5. Re: ID CS6 export to PDF behavior
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It was neither ignorant nor sarcasm. And quite frankly I gave up trying to please everyone a long long time ago.

But thanks for bringing a long dead AND ANSWERED question back to the top of the list. <---now, that is sarcasm

• 6. Re: ID CS6 export to PDF behavior
                    Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try checking the option to "View PDF after Exporting".

• 7. Re: ID CS6 export to PDF behavior
                      Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Mike – If you want the "old" way of exporting back, try using the following script (JavaScript/ExtendScript):

ExportPDF_in_Foreground.jsx

Should work in CS5, CS5.5, CS6 (tested) and in CC (not tested…)

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4526773#4526773

And if you want a more rigid method avoiding backgound activities for exporting anything (not only PDF Export), see the following (scroll down a little bit):

Control Background Export

by Marijan Tompa

http://tomaxxi.com/downloads/

Or direct link:

http://tomaxxi.com/download/controlBackgroundExport.zip

Should work in CS5, CS5.5, CS6, CC (??)

Uwe

• 8. Re: ID CS6 export to PDF behavior
                        displaced7 Level 1

Wow, that is dumb! 

I get the idea, but practically speaking it is cumbersome and a hinderance to performance.

I rely on seeing the bar to know when files are done, they take a long time to export (like many, I wait to do something with the file - there is NOTHING I can do until it is done exporting, so what's the point??  It is nothing like autosaving a file to ensure there isn't lost work...it just makes no sense...none).

The 'background tasks' makes it look like a leftover feature from ID 1! 

Have to look at that script, thanks Uwe for posting (though I can't say I like the idea of having to install a third party script to get back basic functionality).

Adobe??

• 9. Re: ID CS6 export to PDF behavior
                          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The whole point of a background task is that you CAN do other things while the PDF processes, if you choose to do so. If you don't want to set the option to open when complete, and don't want the Background Tasks panel open, you can watch the animated icon that appears in the Menu Bar while the export is running. It doesn't have a progress indicator, but it will show you that the task is still running.

• 10. Re: ID CS6 export to PDF behavior
                            displaced7 Level 1

Right, but why can't you have the logical progress bar that was there before?  I could still do other things (I won't us ID when it is exporting if I have a massive file that will take a long time to compile, that's too risky).

Point being, I do NOT want to do anythign, I want to make sure my PDF compiles correctly so I can send it off when done, either via FTP or email.  In reality, there is nothing I can do besides surf while ID is working, which I could do before...I guess I fail to see any logic in this (again, auto-save in PS is nice, but even that can bring your computer to a halt if you have a gb+ sized file).

It's just poor design choices on Adobe's part.  No reason that the progress bar couldn't be there as an option, again, the progress windows available now look like they came from a generica program from 15 years ago! 

Obviously, there are plenty of people upset by this step backwards in usability. 

• 11. Re: ID CS6 export to PDF behavior

Actually for most users it's a step forward since they can now continue to work, but you obvioulsly disagree. See Post 7.

• 12. Re: ID CS6 export to PDF behavior
                                Proficient02 Level 1

The progress bar is still there. You just need to make your panel wider. I use it everyday.

• 13. Re: ID CS6 export to PDF behavior

Still where?

• 14. Re: ID CS6 export to PDF behavior

@Peter – It's the "Background Task" Panel under "Windows"/ "Hilfsprogramme" (in my German UI, not sure how the right term is in English UI):

(German UI from InDesign CS5.5)

Before Export it is empty:

BackgroundTaskPanel_BeforeExport.png

(German UI from InDesign CS5.5)

During Export you'll get some information:

BackgroundTaskPanel_DuringExport.png

I had to use a really big document to make the screens. On small documents you can hardly see this, because it is happening so fast ;-)

Note: couldn't make the panel wider to show the whole name of the document, which is very long…

Uwe

• 15. Re: ID CS6 export to PDF behavior

Right, but jpran doesn't want to use the background tasks panel. He wants the progress bar to appear automatically during export, as it did in days before export became a background task.

Since you've popped in though, what are the possibilities for doing a script with an event listener for the export command that would open the panel? Or perhaps simpler, a script that would both open the export dialog and the background tasks panel? You could assign a keyboard shortcut to that.

• 16. Re: ID CS6 export to PDF behavior

@Peter – hmm, not impossible…

1. If you want back the old behavior  you could use my script mentioned above in answer #7 (or Marijan's solution, of course)

2. There is a pair of document events that could fit our needs: "BEFORE_EXPORT", "AFTER_EXPORT". Yes, it should be possible to write a script, that is able to show the "Background Task Panel" every time I want to export something.

And closing it after the export is done.

Uwe

Message was edited by: Laubender

Message was edited by: Laubender

• 17. Re: ID CS6 export to PDF behavior

@Peter – alright, after testing a bit and circumventing some problems finding the generic name of the panel, I wrote a script that would pop up the Background Task Panel in case one is doing an Export.

Could not test that with InDesign CC, but tested ok with InDesign CS5.5 and CS6 on OSX.

However I could not test on Windows and only with my German versions.

What I cannot do is controlling the position and size of the Panel.

You have to do that one time before installing the script and safe it as part of your workspace.

Here comes the code, that adds two event listeners to the app.

That means, if the script is started from the Scripts Panel it is working for the current session with InDesign. If you quit InDesign and restart InDesign the event listeners are gone. If you want to use the code permanently you have to install the script in the "startup scripts" folder under the "Scripts" folder.

//DuringExport_ShowBackgroundTaskPanel_EVENT-SCRIPT.jsx
                                          //Uwe Laubender

/**
                                          * @@@BUILDINFO@@@ DuringExport_ShowBackgroundTaskPanel_EVENT-SCRIPT.jsx !Version! Wed Mar 19 2014 22:04:58 GMT+0100
                                          */

//Tested with InDesign CS5.5 v7.5.3 and CS6 v8.0.2

#targetengine "DuringExportShowBackgroundTask"

app.addEventListener("beforeExport", showBackgroundTaskPanel);
                                          app.addEventListener("afterExport", hideBackgroundTaskPanel);

function showBackgroundTaskPanel(myEventShow){  
                                              app.panels.itemByName("$ID/kBGUIPanelName").visible = true;
                                              };

function hideBackgroundTaskPanel(myEventHide){  
                                              app.panels.itemByName("$ID/kBGUIPanelName").visible = false
                                              };

I think, the "BGUI" in "kBGUIPanelName" stands for "BackGroundUserInterface"…

Of course, the panel will pop up not only during PDF Export…

Uwe

• 18. Re: ID CS6 export to PDF behavior

I've tested Uwe's script in CS5 and CS6 on Windows 7 and it seems to work just fine.

I did not specifically save the panel location as part of the workspace, just opened and sized it, then closed before running the script.

• 19. Re: ID CS6 export to PDF behavior

@Peter – thank you for your positive feedback!

So next we need someone with InDesign CC to test it ;-)
                                              Both Mac and Windows platforms…

Uwe

• 20. Re: ID CS6 export to PDF behavior

I have CC on my laptop. I'll try to test for you later today (windows).

• 21. Re: ID CS6 export to PDF behavior

Well it ook a few days, but I finally tested today, and yes it works in CC as well.

• 22. Re: ID CS6 export to PDF behavior

@Peter – Thank you again…
                                                    Good to know it's not broken in InDesign CC :-)

@jpran – would that be a interim solution for you?

In case you want this script running all the time after starting InDesign, you could add it to the startup scripts folder in your Scripts folder.

Of course we could add a line of code to the afterExport event function to alert the user that the export is done fully. Would that be an idea?

We just have to change the function hideBackgroundTaskPanel like that:

function hideBackgroundTaskPanel(myEventHide){  
                                                        app.panels.itemByName("$ID/kBGUIPanelName").visible = false;
                                                        alert("Export is done.");
                                                        };

What this script does not do:

Distinguish between an export to PDF and an export to IDML or other file formats (and only alert the PDF Export for instance).

Uwe