I've searched and didn't find a situation like this one...most "running slow" questions were about the program as a whole.
I have a project that I started a few weeks ago. I've been opening it and editing it a few times a week. Everything was running fine (both After Effects & PP). A few days ago, I opened the project, and opened as usual. However, I noticed that when I would either try to simply view a clip within the timeline/final putpur preview, or worse, try to apply an effect, it would slow to a crawl, and sometimes freeze, giving the (Not Responding) text to the title bar. Previews from the list of source footage does not have the same issue. It would eventually come back.
If I try to export a finished media file, it runs much, much slower (magnitude of at least 3x times) than a couple weeks ago (the last time I did this had almost the same number of effects applied as more recent attempts, so it is not from me adding alot of new effects).
This has been the case for several days now.
Nothing in the project changed between the last 'good' session and the first 'bad' one...the raw files didn't move, I didn't delete preview files (and even if I did, it should have regenerated them). The computer has been restarted several times, no difference.
The only change that occured to the PC itself is some Windows Updates. I did delete some preview/rendered files from other projects, but they were all in different projects' folders.
Does this sound familiar to anyone?
|Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz|
|OCZ 4 GB DDR2-SDRAM PC2 6400|
|Seagate 500 GB 7200rpm SATA 3GB/s|
|LG 48X CD-ROM + 16X DVD-ROM + 20X DVD+/-R|
|Sapphire 100242L Radeon HD 4850 PCI-E 2.0 16X|
|Realtek ALC888 Sound Card|
|Realtek 8111C NIC|
|D-Link WDA1320 Wireless NIC|
I suggest updating like you mentioned then posting back again and letting us know if updating cs5 fixes the issues or not. Since you're using a old version of Premiere cs5 I really think a update is likely to help your issue. (Hopefully)
That seemed to have done it. When I opened premiere after updating for the first time, it did re-conform alot of the source videos.
Guess I should have tried it before posting, but if it happens again, at least I've documented it.. Thanks.