11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2012 12:22 PM by Chris Cox

Why does my computer crash to blue screen with message when Photoshop is open?

bizdesigner

This happened 3-4 times when I was using the trial version and I wasn't sure which program from the trials that was doing it, but it started after I downloaded and used the Adobe Clound trials so I stopped using them. Eventually I went ahead and upgraded to the subcription and have been using Illustrator and Muse for a few days now and have not had a problem until today. I had Photoshop open and minimized, as well as Illustrator, and walked away from my desk. When I returned, the screen was blue with the Windows "shut down to prevent further damage" screen. I have a photo of the message. I realized that I had been using Photoshop the last few times this happened also. It never happened before I tried this software and stopped when I stopped using the trial.

I contacted support and chose to have someone call me back due to the wait. 15 minutes later, I got a call back from India and exlplained this. He got my phone number and asked me to hold while he got someone to help me. ONE HOUR AND 20 MINUTES later someone from India came on and I explained it all over again. He said he was going to check into it and 5 minutes later I was DISCONNECTED. No one called back and there is no option for Adobe, but to call back and start the process ALL OVER AGAIN. From what I see in these forums, it happens all the time and is serious problem with Adobe.I would never do business with a company with this type of horrible support and don't think I will continue my subscription with them. I am a graphic designer and do not have the time for computer crashes and support that does not care.

• 1. Re: Why does my computer crash to blue screen with message when Photoshop is open?
          Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'll admit, Photoshop Extended is a resource hog.  But I regularly run it on my 32-bit Vista desktop and have never experienced the blue screen of death. 

How old is your system?

Which OS?

32-bit or 64-bit?

How fast is your processor?

How much RAM memory?

How much HD memory?

How much scratch disk memory is allocated to PShop?

What kind of graphics card do you have?

Nancy O.

• 2. Re: Why does my computer crash to blue screen with message when Photoshop is open?
            bizdesigner Level 1

It's not even when I'm using Photoshop. It's when I walk away and it sits for a few minutes. I had only opened a small file and left it minimized. I hadn't even worked on it yet. Just left and came back to the screen when I wiggled my mouse.

I have a Dell Optiplex 755 I bought new in 2008 running Windows X 2002 w/ Service Pack 3

32 bit

Intel Core Duo

E6655 @ 2.33 GHz

1.98 GHz, 2.96 GB Ram

• 3. Re: Why does my computer crash to blue screen with message when Photoshop is open?
              Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sounds like an equipment problem.  You might want to run some diagnostics.

A failing fan or video card can cause erratic things to happen.

Nancy O.

• 4. Re: Why does my computer crash to blue screen with message when Photoshop is open?
                bizdesigner Level 1

Like I said, it doesn't happen with any other programs. I have reverted to using PS CS4 just fine and can manage very large files. I am a Graphic Designer.  It's a glitch with PS 6.

• 5. Re: Why does my computer crash to blue screen with message when Photoshop is open?
                  Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

I don't think it is the glitch with the PS Cs6 or any other software , I have been using the PS CS6 and so Nancy , but we never faced this issue.

It could be either the conflict with other software available on your machine , or the equipment problem as Nancy stated.

You can start the machine in selective startup mode and then check.

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/disable-startup-items-services-windows.html

• 6. Re: Why does my computer crash to blue screen with message when Photoshop is open?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

PS will not directly cause a BSOD. However, it can tax a system, and point up problems. It might be using more RAM, than your other programs, and reaching addresses that are bad, or some other similar behavior.

Take a look at this article on BSOD: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/772169?tstart=0

The two main causes of a BSOD are mechanical problems with the computer, such as heat build up, bad RAM, bad MoBo, or low-level drivers, that the OS has issues with. The article will give you some tips, and some tools, that might help you narrow things down.

Good luck,

hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Why does my computer crash to blue screen with message when Photoshop is open?
                      Level 7

A BSOD means that there's a bug in the OS, a bug in a low level driver, or a hardware fault.

Applications cannot directly cause a BSOD.

"shut down to prevent further damage" -- that usually means hardware problems, and most often means a problem with power supply (either the supply itself, or an undersupplied chipset).

• 8. Re: Why does my computer crash to blue screen with message when Photoshop is open?
                        Level 1

Just add a memory stick may solve your problem.

• 9. Re: Why does my computer crash to blue screen with message when Photoshop is open?
                          bizdesigner Level 1

Thanks, Bill. Your response has been the most helpful. I have not yet tried the steps in your articles, but have a little more info that may help narrow it down. However, it has not happened for a couple weeks. I run a large CAD progam that also has never caused this issue.

The blue death screen occurs only when PS is open and when the computer goes to the screen saver. When I wake my screen this message is there:

"A problem has been detected an windows has been shut down to prevent further damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: win32k.sys

PAGE-FAULT-IN-NONPAGED-AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. I this is a new installation, ask you hardware of software manufacturer fo any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable such components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xE57C1304, 0x00000000, 0xBF8892C3, 0X00000001)

***  win32k.sys - Addre4ss BF8892C3 base at BF800000, DateStamp 4ff2f633"

Beginning dump, blah blah blah.

After this happenend 2-3 time after installing the PS trial, it was obvious that it was the only software change I had made. I stopped using it and went back to using my PS4 and the blue screen never happened again...until I purchase my subscription and used it again. I don't know if any of this helps narrow down what I can test, but you have given me the most knowledgeable feedback. Thanks again.

• 10. Re: Why does my computer crash to blue screen with message when Photoshop is open?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Just a thought here:

You mention that it is when you have PS running, and the Screen Saver kicks in, you get a BSOD. What else happens in the "hibernation" period? Do the HDD's also spin down? Does the PSU go into some sort of "power saver" mode?

From the error message, it appears that the OS is unable to access the Page File. That could well be an issue, if the HDD's have spun down, and do not "wake up" in time, to perform a read, or write.

As I always turn all Power Saver, Hibernation, and even Screen Savers OFF, I have to plead ignorance to what modern OS's and hardware can, and cannot do.

As a side note, several users with Premiere Pro have experienced issues with "green" HDD's, and their power saver modes. For that reason, most of us have been recommending that anyone doing video editing NOT use green HDD's.

As for your CAD program not "causing" a BSOD, it could well be as simple as it accessing resources differently, than PS does. It's not always about "how much" a program uses in resources, but rather "which" resources are accessed, and possibly "when."

When I am doing video editing (even more intense than PS work), I turn OFF any, and everything that could get in the way, from anti-virus, to Hibernation Modes, everything. I also do not multi-task, beyond maybe having 4 - 5 Adobe programs open in the background, as I go from PS to AI to PrPro to Encore.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Why does my computer crash to blue screen with message when Photoshop is open?
                              Level 7

That error sounds more like a low level driver bug than a hardware fault.

Again: Photoshop, nor any application, can be the cause of this BSOD.  Only OS bugs, low level driver bugs, or hardware defects can cause a BSOD.

Photoshop CS4 just didn't use as much of the hardware as Photoshop CS6 does.

But you still most likely have a defective driver or hardware.