7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2012 1:13 PM by Bill Gehrke

CS6 on an iMac

Jack Banatoni Level 1

I recently picked up a new gig as an editor/motion graphics designer at a post house.  They're all Mac and it's time for me to get a workstation there.  I've offered to build a PC, but they are really set on sticking with Mac.  (For the record, I already know the advantages of a custom built PC over a Mac for Premiere... which is why I use one as my personal system at home.)

Mac towers are out of budget, so how realistic is editing on an iMac?  I generally have Photoshop, Premiere, and After Effects open at the same time, jumping back and forth from each.  I'm just starting to dive into Blender for 3D.  I mainly work on motion graphics there.

Does the GPU trick work with Mac AMD cards?  Unless I'm missing it, Apple doesn't sell an iMac that meets Adobe's MPE specs.  I make pretty heavy use of hardware accelerated MPE with my 2GB GTX 560 Ti on my PC.  Would like that benefit on Mac.  Is an iMac basically laptop components?  Is it possible to install a GeForce card myself in an iMac?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: CS6 on an iMac
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

My suggestion is that you call Eric at ADK and see if he can solve your problem.  ADK sells both PC and Mac systems.  And they really know their way around Adobe products.  Have you thought of building a "Hackintosh"?

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

By the way the new Macbook Pro has the "NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching". 

Also with the Thunderbolt intrface and a couple of USB3 ports you can have a good multiple disk drive configuration

• 2. Re: CS6 on an iMac
            Jack Banatoni Level 1

Thanks for the quick response, Bill.  Hackintosh isn't an option, unfortunately.  They want to stick with something they can take to the mall to get fixed when it breaks.

Do you think a Macbook Pro would be just as powerful as an iMac?  I'm not really seeing Macs on the benchmark site.  Is no one submitting results for Premiere on Mac or does the test not work for Mac?

• 3. Re: CS6 on an iMac
              RjL190365 Level 4

Jack,

Unfortunately, the PPBM5 benchmark is not currently compatible with Macs.

• 4. Re: CS6 on an iMac

And I currently doubt that we will ever be able to have a Mac version

I have seriously tried to find a way to gather our PPBM data on OSX for the past few weeks and the technology tool that we use on Windows is to access the date/time that the encoded file creates and subtract that from the modified time and this gives us the elapsed time that you see in the results.  Well it so happens that any UNIX/Linux/OSX file does not have a created time.  Now I know that AME creates an elapsed time in a log file, but with PPBM5 we have no way to find a MPE-on/MPE-off ratio.  Both Harm and I have explored other options for PPBM6 and I actually have found a great one but it requires direct export from Premiere and that does not (to our knowledge) create a log file.  I was just about to build a "Hackintosh" installation on a system that would have dual-boot capabilities when the lack of a created time feature defeated the whole project.  I actually have an OSX disc on my desk in front of me.

The high end Ivy Bridge processor at 2.7 GHz in the MacBook Pro currently is (as you might expect) not as good as the i7-2600 3.4 GHx Sandy Bridge processor.  Both can have up to 16 GB of RAM (at a price)

• 5. Re: CS6 on an iMac
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Last I checked Blender added GPU acceleration as well with Cuda. From what I can see the OpenCL acceleration is still in the works. I would look for any configuration with an Nvidia card if you are going to work in Blender besides Adobe.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: CS6 on an iMac
                    Andrew M Clark Level 1

Bill -

Do you, or anybody else here, know if the "GPU Hack" will work for the new MBP's with the nVidia graphics card?

Bill Gehrke wrote:

My suggestion is that you call Eric at ADK and see if he can solve your problem.  ADK sells both PC and Mac systems.  And they really know their way around Adobe products.  Have you thought of building a "Hackintosh"?

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

By the way the new Macbook Pro has the "NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching". 

Also with the Thunderbolt intrface and a couple of USB3 ports you can have a good multiple disk drive configuration

• 7. Re: CS6 on an iMac

Shaluda wrote:

Bill -

Do you, or anybody else here, know if the "GPU Hack" will work for the new MBP's with the nVidia graphics card?

Bill Gehrke wrote:

My suggestion is that you call Eric at ADK and see if he can solve your problem.  ADK sells both PC and Mac systems.  And they really know their way around Adobe products.