9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2012 3:51 PM by Frustrated in AZ

Error message when trying to download book from library

drhoctor

When I try to download an ebook from the library, I receive this message, " Adobe cannot open (name of book) because it either is not a suppported file type or file has been damaged. I spoke to an Adobe tech and he said it was a problem from book supplier ( the library ) not Adobe. He suggested I try another library system. I did but I still received the same message. I have downloaded Digital Editions several times and deleted it and reinstalled it but to no avail? Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Error message when trying to download book from library
          Frustrated in AZ Level 4

When you get a message that tells you the software is working, you should

not delete it and try to reinstall it - that may cause more issues than you

have.

The message is telling you that whatever ebook you're trying to download

isn't the type that Digital Editions can handle.  Digital Editions can

manage .epub and .pdf formats, along with some .txt.  Many libraries give

you a choice of the format to download, and if you picked a Kindle format,

for example, it's not supported by Digital Editions, won't work, and could

produce the message you've received.

So, rather than spin Adobe's wheels, you can contact the library's

technical support function, and discuss download formatting with them.

I'll bet they have the answer....

===============

• 2. Re: Error message when trying to download book from library
            drhoctor Level 1

I am trying to download books with .epub format to my nook. When the book is downloaded it asks if I want to open it, save or save as, if I hit open I get the error message, if I save as digital edition it gets saved there but I can transfer to the nook. Any suggestions?

• 3. Re: Error message when trying to download book from library
              Frustrated in AZ Level 4

You're now putting some context around your issue, and that helps.

There's some information missing.  You haven't said what kind of Nook you

have: not all versions of the Nook work with Digital Editions (DE).  Also,

you haven't said whether you've ever been successful in transferring an

ebook to your Nook. I'll deal with these issues first.  Please don't feel

that I'm insulting your intelligence or anything with my commentary.  It

always helps to go over the basics - we all miss something now and then.

There are a couple of things I can suggest.  Certain older model Nooks work

with DE.  The newest models, however don't.  You can look up your Nook on

the list of supported devices

HERE<http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublishing/supported-devices>.

IF your Nook isn't on the list, DE won't be able to transfer ebooks to it.

Assuming your Nook is on the list, you have to register it with Barnes &

Noble.  When you do this, use your Adobe ID.  That makes the use of DE

simpler.

It sounds like you've been able to find a source for your ebooks that's not

B&N, and you've been able to hook up with them.  The difference between

OPEN and SAVE when downloading is what DE does with the ebook.  If you

choose OPEN, the ebook's opened in Reading mode on your computer.  If you

choose SAVE, DE puts the ebook into your Library - which is where you want

it to be most of the time.

Connecting the Nook should follow a process also.  When you connect the

Nook, make sure that your computer recognizes it and gives it a drive

letter.  You can check this also on the Nook's screen, where it should tell

you it's connected.

Once connected, then start DE.  If all is well, DE will display the name of

the Nook on the Bookshelf side of the Library view panel.  That's the left

hand side (usually in the middle of the page).  If it does, then you can

drag and drop titles from the Library onto the Nook.

When you're done with the transfer, you can close DE, but leave the Nook

connected until its screen tells you it has finished processing new

content.  When it has, you can use your computer's utility programs

(Windows Explorer, for example - NOT Internet Explorer) to eject the drive

letter, or, for a Windows computer, the icon on the extreme right hand side

of the START bar that says 'Safely Remove Hardware' when you hover your

cursor over it.

Once removed, you 'should' have the ebook on the Nook, and be able to open

it.

If you've done all this and it's worked, but you still get the messages,

then there is something wrong with the ebook file.  I've discovered the

hard way that some libraries are better than others.  In one case, the

technical gurus put the wrong format extension on an ebook, and we thought

it was an .epub, but it wasn't.  So, if you're still getting the message,

you probably need to contact the library and discuss the issue, as I said

before.

============

• 4. Re: Error message when trying to download book from library
                drhoctor Level 1

I have installed and uninstalled the Digital Editions to my computer several times.

I have a Nook Touch which is listed. I am registered with B&N and have downloaded a book from them, also registered with Adobe and downloaded a sample book from them.

I was also able to download a book from the library from another person’s computer. The books from the library have a ACSM file extension.

The books I downloaded from the library to my computer are saved in the C drive under program files/digital edition. When I try to open the books, I get the error message.

The computer recognizes the Nook in the F drive and the Digital Editions screen also recognizes the Nook, but does not show the books that have been downloaded from the library.

I appears as though the computer does not make the connection between the books saved in the C drive and the Digital Editions screen where you can move and drop the books into the Nook.

• 5. Re: Error message when trying to download book from library
                  Frustrated in AZ Level 4

AH!  More information!

There's one statement you made that has me interested.  You said that the

ebooks from the library were ASCM files.  They should not be.  An ASCM file

isn't the ebook - it's just a pointer to where the ebook is.  Normally,

when you hook up to a website, that site will put out an .ascm file and

then activate ADE on your computer to grab that file.  ADE then will go and

get the ebook.  If the library somehow did not activate the part of their

system that calls ADE on your computer to use the .ascm file to go and get

the ebook, that could be the issue you're facing.

Try something for me.  If you are able to find the .ascm files on your C:

drive, put your cursor on a file name and right-click on it.  You should

get a drop-down menu that includes 'Open With'.  The submenu should show

Adobe Digital Editions as one of the programs that can open the file.

Click on ADE, and it should open the ebook - probably in Reading mode.  If

you get an option, SAVE the ebook, and ADE should put it in your Library.

Hope this helps

================

• 6. Re: Error message when trying to download book from library
                    drhoctor Level 1

I don’t get a submenu when I right click on the file name, it says 1.open with installed program, if I say yes it shows the error message, 2. Search the web, if I say yes it takes me to an explanation of ASCM.

• 7. Re: Error message when trying to download book from library
                      Frustrated in AZ Level 4

I forgot that the wording of some of these messages changed in Windows 7.

Pick "Open with installed program".  You should see a choice for Digital

Editions.

=============

• 8. Re: Error message when trying to download book from library
                        drhoctor Level 1

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I finally figured it out. The installed program that came up was Adobe Reader and that’s why I kept getting the error message. Once I changed it to Digital Editions the book showed up on the pop up Digital Editions site. Thank you for leading me in the right direction and having such forebearance.

• 9. Re: Error message when trying to download book from library
                          Frustrated in AZ Level 4

That's what we're here/hear for.  I'm glad you got it sorted out.

=============