5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2006 10:21 AM by kglad

Disable Buttons and Inputs from a movie

3fx
      I have a movie and i want to disable buttons and inputs from it. Here is my code that doesn't work (bit of a newbie)...

• 1. Re: Disable Buttons and Inputs from a movie
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          there's no enabled property for textfields. however, you can use the type property of textfields to change from a textfield that the user can edit (input) to one they cannot edit (dynamic).

if you code for disabling your button fails, it's because it does not have instance name _root.buttonA.
          • 2. Re: Disable Buttons and Inputs from a movie
            3fx Level 1
            I know what to do now in terms of the inputs. Thanks for that, really apreciate your help.

About the button, have checked the instance name, is correct spelling and everything, but won't disable... Then I realised (silly me), the button is a movie, not a button. Is there a way to make the movie disabled or preferably not visible?
            • 3. Re: Disable Buttons and Inputs from a movie
              the same code works for movieclips which also have an enabled property. you can also use the _visible property of movieclips (and buttons) to disable and make invisible. but you'll still need the correct path/instance name.

if you have trouble, post a link to your fla and specify the problem's location. remember that code shouldn't execute until the objects referenced exist.
              • 4. Re: Disable Buttons and Inputs from a movie
                3fx Level 1
                I feel like such a fool (it was soo obvious)... That's what happends when working at wee wee hours and with almost 0 resources... Changed the instance name on the button and as it worked well.

Now about the text fields, have changed them to dynamic, give them instance names (in properties, not using actionsript) and they are disabled without doing any programming for them. I know I am doing something silly again... Any help with this?
                • 5. Re: Disable Buttons and Inputs from a movie
                  what do you mean that a textfield is "disabled"? you can't define button handlers for a textfield (create a textfield in a movieclip and define handlers for the movieclip, if that's what you want) and you need to make it editable or an input textfield if you want the user to be able to change the text property of a textfield.