24 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2013 3:57 AM by tristansummers

Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files? purge/cache clean=NO

tristansummers Level 1

Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files when cleaning the cache and purging doesn't work? I can't quit and restart everytime I update a file..

OSX.6.8/  MAcPro1.1/  6GBRAM

Also, if anyone has a script that canges ALL vector files to Accurate Aliasing I will pay handsomly for it

Tris

• 1. Re: Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files? purge/cache clean=NO
          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Select files in the Project panel, Right-click and choose 'Reload Footage'...

• 2. Re: Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files? purge/cache clean=NO
            tristansummers Level 1

HI

erm

Thanks

But my question is for the many many times when that blatantly fails to work

Tristan Summers

(Freelance After Effects since last century)

• 3. Re: Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files? purge/cache clean=NO
              Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

That means you don't have to restart every time you update a file...

Can't say anything for the rest of your question, since that never stopped working for me...

• 4. Re: Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files? purge/cache clean=NO
                tristansummers Level 1

Hello

I am well aware of the functionality of the Reload command, and have been trusting it for many years, but it appears to have developed a bug and is not always working.

Cleaning the database and purging does not help.

It often seems that the only way to get AE to recognise changes to AI files is to quit and restart.

I do not know if this is a caching issue, or a RAM issue, or a failure to read Date Modified information.

I am not using this machine to change the AI files.

I have an artworker making me new files and I am repalcing them in the finder.

It can happen even if I have only just restarted AE, and then changed the AI file again.

It is very disturbing to no longer be able to trust the viewer in AE and can only hope that this is fixable.

Tris

• 5. Re: Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files? purge/cache clean=NO
                  tristansummers Level 1

BUMP!

Still not fixed in CS6.

I HAVE to restart After Effects in order to reload changed AI files.

17" 2012 MBP RAdeon 6770 GPU 16GB RAM

This has now been a bug for well over a year that seriously impacts the Creative Suite workflow.

(I keep shouting at artworkers to update things when they already have!)

In lieu of a solution, I would seriously appreciate an explanation of the reason for the issue.

Tris

• 6. Re: Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files? purge/cache clean=NO
                    tristansummers Level 1

Further...

I actually have to MANUALLY delete all cache files.

I am absolutely LOVING the recent improvements to performance and disc caching, but I need to understand why this is happening, as I need to know that the file I am looking at is real, not a cache ghost.

Can I also say I have been freelancing entirely in After Effects for 13 years so I do know my way thoroughly round the program.

Tristan

• 7. Re: Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files? purge/cache clean=NO
                      Klaus_Brandenburg Level 2

Never had such an issue but does switching "continually rasterize" off and on (or on and off) update your AI artwork when those other methods fail?

• 8. Re: Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files? purge/cache clean=NO
                        tristansummers Level 1

Also another thought is that I am actually replacing the AI file with a new file, that wil have had a different name (version numbers). The layers have not been moved, recreated or renamed, but content may have changed.

This is necessary because if I change the sourcefile name (to include a date and version number) then I have to manually relink every single LAYER of the file.

This is an issue across the Dynamic Link workflow, but should just mean I change how I update and archive files.

• 9. Re: Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files? purge/cache clean=NO
                          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

I'm confused... If you changed AI filename, it's a different file now, not the one you had imported into AE project. Am I missing something?

• 10. Re: Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files? purge/cache clean=NO
                            Klaus_Brandenburg Level 2

I'm confused too. Does tristiansummers actually read the replies on his issue?

• 11. Re: Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files? purge/cache clean=NO
                              tristansummers Level 1

hi.

Thanks for thinking about this but it is evidentally a cache management issue.

(Bring back Commotio's "supercache" I say, or allow easy rendering to external files...)

renaming. So I have a file " filename_01"

I duplicate this to "filename_02" and give it to artworker to redo.

I get it back, I rename it to "filename_01" and replace the original file.

continuously reasterise = no effect.

As this is not clearing the cache.

I just restarted after effects and one frame still had the old image cache, whilst the rest had updated.

So I deleted all the cache files and restarted AE and it was ok.

• 12. Re: Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files? purge/cache clean=NO
                                tristansummers Level 1

HI

yes

it is Tristan

and it is really not that confusing.

After Effects is not updating, it is using old cache files.

This is a major issue that has either been ignored or overlooked for 2 releases.

Thanks

• 13. Re: Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files? purge/cache clean=NO
                                  Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                                  and it is really not that confusing.

Actually, it was until you provided further explanation.

This is a major issue that has either been ignored or overlooked for 2 releases.

The major issue here is nobody in the Forum seems can reproduce your it. Are you able to reproduce the issue on any other machine? Does it have some pattern, e.g. at which point AE ceases to update your files on Reload Footage command? Have you ever bothered to file a bug report?

• 14. Re: Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files? purge/cache clean=NO
                                    tristansummers Level 1

Hello, and thank you for your input.

I do appreciate polite assistance, so we can all as a community improve our After Effects experience.

I work freelance in many places and encounter this issue on a regular basis on many different machines.

I apologise for any confusion in my choice of explanation, and I have now filed a bug report, and I do read replies.

My original intention was to see if anyone could explain why this may be happening, so I can troubleshoot.

As I have repeatedly stated, I am fully proficient in the software so recommending any basic functionality like Reload, or Continuous Rasterisation, is pointless unless it provides occassionally unexpected results. Having said that, Rick's 101 responses can actually iron out bad habits in the best of us!

As manually deleting the cache is the only way to resolve this problem, it seems that the various empty cache buttons in the preference pane STILL do not function properly, and manually deleting files has to become part of the working day, along with restarting After Effects all the time. At least we don't still have to log out of the OS to get the cache files cleaned.

Thanks again for actually bothering to reply

Tris

• 15. Re: Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files? purge/cache clean=NO
                                      tristansummers Level 1

Just a thought.

As it is a sporadic issue, maybe it is to do with image caches that are not stored in RAM. So if the Preview is from a disc cache not a RAM cache, maybe it does not update when you replace a source file. I do believe the program has updated the file correctly, and would render correctly, it is just the image cache has not updated so I can't see it until I delete caches. Now that IS confusing!

I will say to everyone that though you THINK you have not encountered this issue, you may well have done.

My point is, do not assume After Effects is showing you the file correctly, because there is an issue with the image caches that is highly disturbing.

Tris

• 16. Re: Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files? purge/cache clean=NO
                                        tristansummers Level 1

Seems I was right.

And glad to know I am not alone.

Or crazy.

Or even lazy as was previously inferred!

See this post.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4769663

Unfortunately, 11.0.2 does not fix the issue for me.

• 17. Re: Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files? purge/cache clean=NO
                                          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Different as cheese and chalk. You're heading wrong direction, to my mind: you noticed the issue on CS5.5 while those CS6 features had not been implemented yet. And instead of trying to define the pattern, you're rushing to the conclusion.

Meanwhile, after your explanation about files and filenames exchange I dabbled a bit and here is what I was able to find:

- if I substitute the file with a 'newer' one ('Date modified' property), it is updated just fine;

- if I substitute the file with an 'older' one, it is not updated until I close and relaunch the project (no restart necessary).

Test this on your side.

By the way, I'm on CS5.5, Windows 7.

• 18. Re: Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files? purge/cache clean=NO
                                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The behavior that Fuzzy just described sounds very much like a bug that we just fixed in the next version of After Effects. When it comes out, grab the trial version and verify if the fix works for you.

Thanks, Fuzzy, for clearly stating the behavior.

• 19. Re: Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files? purge/cache clean=NO
                                              tristansummers Level 1

Hi.

First of all, can everyone please be a little bit less offensive in the tone of responses. My ability to meet my deadlines has already been compromised by this issue, so forgive for not responding immediately or offering more thorough diagnosis.

Whilst I am very happy that you have solved Fuzzy's problem, it is not the same as mine, as I did clearly describe. I do not think I have reverted to an old file once.

If it helps to clarify.

I have comps made from AI files imported as Comps, all layers at comp size.

These AI files are updated, either by myself via apple+e, but usually by an artworker updating a different version.

I then change the name of the file to the old filename and replace the sourcefile.

Sometimes with AE open. sometimes not.

Occassionally, AE will not update its previews, and the only way I have found to fix this is to quit and manually delete the cache folders.

This is a sporadic fault that in the several months since I first mentioned it I have not been abled to learn more details about what may be causing it.

I cannot intentionally recreate it, so I am very impressed Fuzzy managed to find a way to isolate a specific problem with their workstation. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

I do not think I am incorrect in looking at other image cache problems other users are having, as it always struck me as odd that all the cache files were still there after clicking on clean/empty cache. But if I am incorrect I am interested to know what else it is that is broken.

In my experience, purging would normally solve this issue but it does not.

I first noticed this in 5.5 but it is still here in 6.0.2.

It is quite a specific workflow I guess, that I am only recently as reliant upon.

I have noticed both with and without multi processing turned on.

I get it on OS 10.6 and 7, and across the spectrum of mac devices, with conventional drives and with SSDs.

Now. I and my various employers have copies of CS that we paid for that have a fault that impairs their use, so this needs to be fixed by an incremental update to any versions it exists in. If I found my car engine cut out ocassionally I would not be pleased to be advised to take a new car for a test drive. I appreciate that not enough users seem to have noticed this to make that worth your while, so I wanted an explanation of possible causes and even fixes I could do myself. If their is a force purge script that actually clears the ram, image disc caches.

For now I simply cannot trust any updated AI files without quitting AE and deleting cache files. I hope it will be sorted, and look forward to what is generally a much improving work experience as After Effects continues to evolve.

Tris

• 20. Re: Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files? purge/cache clean=NO
                                                Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Calm down. You're too touchy. Hardly any users on this Forum possess an ability to remotely read your thoughts and see visions, while those who possess are hardly interested in providing such an evidence.

You submitted the link to the discussion about bugs in new CS6 features. Your issue is hardly related to them on a pure basis: the issue you're facing was detected earlier.

And if I'm not mistaken, CS Next is going to be out in May, while fixing a bug based on your vague description with no particular pattern may take ages. That was Todd's point as I understand it.

Rant over.

• 21. Re: Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files? purge/cache clean=NO
                                                  tristansummers Level 1

Hi

Thanks.

I am unfamiliar with the bug report system, as AE has always been fine for me since 4.1.

I filled in saying it was both 5.5 and 6 related. I did not see a new features title anywhere so am not sure why it went there.

And I have said exactly what has caused the problem, so no Heroes are needed! (A good understanding of English grammer does help)

As far as I can tell there are no other complicating factors involved.

And I am still yet to hear an explanation from anyone, alomg the lines of, "It is possible your system is doing this" or "We have noticed possible conflicts with..."

I have had no cross referencing with other threads or stories of known issues that could cause After Effects to not update.

As far as I am concerned it is a new and unknown experience for me to have any problems with AE on a Mac, (apart from how dog slow it always is compared to a cheaper PC)

There s no more specific set of circumstances that always causes it.

I am doing the same thing again and again, and sometimes it gets stuck.

And as I work at many studios, a paid upgrade is usually not an option. Most of them only got 5.5 weeks before 6 came out, and only then because they really had to.

I think, like many freelancers, I shall the Cloud and take my own machine everywhere.

I just need to learn how to use and maintain a PC!

Tris

Tris

• 22. Re: Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files? purge/cache clean=NO
                                                    Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                                                    And I have said exactly what has caused the problem, so no Heroes are needed! (A good understanding of English grammer does help)... And I am still yet to hear an explanation from anyone, alomg the lines of, "It is possible your system is doing this" or "We have noticed possible conflicts with..."

If you're an outstanding developer being able to identify what causes the issue exactly, which explanation are you waiting for from other Forum users (do you remember it's a user-to-user Forum?), who are, probably, not good enough at English grammar? Sorry, unsubscribed.

• 23. Re: Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files? purge/cache clean=NO
                                                      tristansummers Level 1

Weird response. But thanks for your input.

I never claimed to be a developer of any kind, just an experienced end user.

I have had rather condescending advice on how to use the program, combined with some useful extra testing. No sympathy, apology or explanation for what I am worried may be a more widespread issue.

I merely said I had described all I could to describe the variables that had caused the problem, which did not, as far as I am aware, match the situations you discovered.

Again thank you for your testing. You have merely defined what caused YOUR problem.

That does help, and I shall do further testing to see if this is the only situation that causes the glitch, but I do not think it is.

And having to upgrade remains and unacceptable response. If a product has a glitch it needs fixing in the version that was purchased in good faith.

Tris, (still restarting and deleting)

• 24. Re: Is there a way to make AE CS5.5 actually reload AI files? purge/cache clean=NO
                                                        tristansummers Level 1

hi

I know it sounds the opposite, but I am not complaining! I do not underestimate the incredible effort it takes to make the highly complicated software that keeps me in food and shelter!

I just wanted to know if other people had the problem, and what other causes there may be. Fuzzy helped, but I do not think that is the only cause of it for me. I think it even sometimes happens with a standard AppleE edit original. But I could be wrong.

However it is possible that that has happened. That a previous version of the file was used to replace a source AI file and that that is what caused the issue.

If so then that is fantastic, as I can now take measures to prevent it from happening.

I wonder if there is a "Known Issues" page I could refer to in future?

Somewhere that would say, "CS5.5 and 6 users. We have discovered an occassional bug where After Effects does not update previews of Illustrator files under certain circumastances, including reverting to previous versions of the file. This will be addressed in future versions of the software but not in your current package. Try to avoid replacing source files with older versions. Open the previous versions and resave first."

Does this seem fair?

Tris