4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2008 8:23 PM by Raijer

Editing slice adds unwanted space

Raijer
      Help! I'm at a complete loss. I'm using FwCS3 on a PC. I have one page which I've sliced up and exported into Dreamweaver. It works like a charm. I need a second page that has the exact same header with the exact same nav bar as the first, so I saved as "page 2," and kept this entire upper section untouched. Below, I deleted the two images and replaced them with new ones. I slightly adjust the widths of the slices covering these images.

Unfortunately, a quick check in my browsers shows that, for some reason, the page has gone to hell. Between the left and right hand of all my slices, Fw has added about 100 pixels worth of extra space. This only shows up in the browser (and Dreamweaver as well). If I delete the two edited slices, the image displays in the browser fine. Once I add them back, the problem returns. The slices don't overlap or anything, and they're not really all that different from the first page, which worked great.I can't for the life of me find anywhere in the manual that helps me solve this problem, so I turn to the experts.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here? Thanks so much!
        • 1. Re: Editing slice adds unwanted space
          Level 7
          Raijer,

Is there a link we could look at?

Sounds like you created a table based layout that is not behaving
          correctly as soon as the content changes.

alex

Raijer wrote:
          > Help! I'm at a complete loss. I'm using FwCS3 on a PC. I have one page which
          > I've sliced up and exported into Dreamweaver. It works like a charm. I need a
          > second page that has the exact same header with the exact same nav bar as the
          > first, so I saved as "page 2," and kept this entire upper section untouched.
          > Below, I deleted the two images and replaced them with new ones. I slightly
          > adjust the widths of the slices covering these images. Unfortunately, a quick
          > check in my browsers shows that, for some reason, the page has gone to hell.
          > Between the left and right hand of all my slices, Fw has added about 100 pixels
          > worth of extra space. This only shows up in the browser (and Dreamweaver as
          > well). If I delete the two edited slices, the image displays in the browser
          > fine. Once I add them back, the problem returns. The slices don't overlap or
          > anything, and their not really all that different from the first page, which
          > worked great.I can't for the life of me find anywhere in the manual that helps
          > me solve this problem, so I turn to the experts.
          >
          > Can anyone tell me what's going on here? Thanks so much!
          >
          • 2. Re: Editing slice adds unwanted space
            Raijer Level 1
            quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
            Raijer,

Is there a link we could look at?

Sounds like you created a table based layout that is not behaving
            correctly as soon as the content changes.

alex

Hi Alex,

You bet, and thanks for taking a look! I appreciate it!

First, here's a link that will download the original file:

Original Fireworks File

I included this for reference, and to show that the file looked great before my minor edits were made.

Ok, now this second one was simply a "Save As" of the above file, with the bottom artwork swapped out and the slices adjusted a bit. For whatever reason, this slight editing was enough to throw the file out of whack. :)

Second "messed up" file

Thanks again, to you, or anyone else who can solve my little mystery! ;)
            • 3. Re: Editing slice adds unwanted space
              It sounds like a table (or css) problem to me aswell, but to fully understand, I need to look at your html.

The images don't really help I am afraid.
              • 4. Re: Editing slice adds unwanted space
                Raijer Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: its OK
                It sounds like a table (or css) problem to me aswell, but to fully understand, I need to look at your html.

The images don't really help I am afraid.

Thanks it'sOk, but the images are where I specifically have the problem. The unwanted space that appears between my slices is being generated in/by Fireworks, and can be seen if the file is opened in Fireworks and then previewed in a browser. I'm trying to find out why I'm having this problem with my image in Fireworks.