2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2012 8:51 AM by Gammarik

After Effects Stopwatch

Gammarik

Hi all

I am trying to add a stopwatch text effect to my video, but i need it to be frozen at 00:00:00:00 for a couple of seconds before starting. I have tried using the Timecode effect which works horrible as it just tells the timecode of the clip and i can't control the time in any way. I have also tried the Numbers effect and set the Type to Timecode [30], which doesn't work either as it also just shows the time of the clip and when i try to control it with Value/Offset/Random Max the time increases both in negative and positive values. So i was wondering if there is an EASY way to do this? It seems like such a simple thing, but it has caused me so many frustrations!

Thanks in advance!

/gammarik

• 1. Re: After Effects Stopwatch
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I don't follow. The Numbers effect only shows the values you keyframe. So rather than trying to find fault with the effect, perhaps re-check your keyframes?! and nothing stops you from using multiple such effects to create custom readouts. And just the same, you can always refer to this:

http://www.motionscript.com/design-guide/up-down-clock.html

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects Stopwatch
            Gammarik Level 1

Thanks for the link! It was excatly what i needed. I just think its weird that a proffesional Visual Effect software doesn't have this simple feature... What i did was that i set the numbers Type to Timecode [30] and it automatically followed the video's timecode, which i can't control. If i set it to numbers, it doesn't have the colons that divide seconds, minutes etc. And at Time it only has one colon.

Again, thanks for the help!

/gammarik