7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2012 12:07 PM by Dave LaRonde Branched to a new discussion.

White preview screen AAE CS6

TheRedsnow

Dear community,

Recently got myself a copy of AAE CS6 and it hasn't given me anything but problems.

When I start AAE it gives me a huge white box instead of a preview screen.

My specs are:

Windows 8 Proffesional 64x

nVidia Geforce GT630M 2gb

Intel Core i7-3610QM 2.3Ghz

8GB RAM

And plenty of diskspace

This is a screenshot of the problem: http://gyazo.com/ad8afac0cf92f04ad09ba5dc8cd59e4a

It just stays white whatever I do, i tried everything: reinstalling gpu drivers, importing a video, making a new composition, klite codec pack, reinstalling after effects, updating AAE, resetting the preferences (as far as i know they resetted), using both the integrated GPU and the normal GPU.

I'm out of ideas, any of you guys that know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: White preview screen AAE CS6
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Error a):

Windows 8 Proffesional 64x

Error b):

klite codec pack

Seriously, this simply is an experimental configuration with possibly not yet polished GPU drivers compounded by using a CoDec pack known to cause damage to Adobe's own CoDecs. The straight up answer is: Install Win 7 until Adobe greenlight Win 8 or issue a compatibility updtae/ patch (or nVidia have a handle on their drivers) and never even dream of reinstalling K-Lite in any shape or form.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: White preview screen AAE CS6
            TheRedsnow Level 1

I also tried running in Windows 7 compatabilitymode, so I doubt that's the problem..

• 3. Re: White preview screen AAE CS6
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Your screen shot reveals that you don't have any layers in the comp and you haven't imported any footage into the AE project.  Thus, you're looking at the background, which currently has a default color of white.

If you "just got yourself" AE, you need to know that it's tough to use it intuitively.  No, make that impossdible: there are just too many gotchas in the application.

You should really go here first before you try to use AE.  No fooling.  Save yourself a lot of grief.

• 4. Re: White preview screen AAE CS6
                TheRedsnow Level 1

I know, ive been using AAE 4, 5, 5.5 for quite some time and I've been an editor for 2+years now. So i can get around with the the program.

And as i stated in the first post, I tried importing footage, making a new composition, the stuff that I usually do in After Effects however it just doesnt work. And gives me a blank screen instantly.

Heres the proof that it doesn't work even when importing footage:

http://gyazo.com/eed331c254e391419fcf96936f63720a

If theres a way to change that backgroundcolour, please tell me how to.

Thanks for your effort!

• 5. Re: White preview screen AAE CS6
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

To change the default background color, open the Comp Settings for any comp, and you should be able to figure out how to change it.

More importantly, Mylenium makes a good point: you may be running Win 7 compatibility mode, but that doesn't guarantee that it will run properly with AE.  You really should be on Win 7. 

Until Adobe clears it, I wouldn't use Win 8.

• 6. Re: White preview screen AAE CS6
                    TheRedsnow Level 1

Thanks, when can i expect this to happen, or how long does this usually take for Adobe to add support?

• 7. Re: White preview screen AAE CS6
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

There is typically no set time period for such things from Adobe.  Suffiece it to say that if you're serious enough about using AE, it probably will be long enough to make it worth your time to go back to Win 7.

I'm surprised that you got other applications to run well on Win 8.  NLE's and other serious media apps are pretty picky about such things.