28 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2012 9:32 AM by Bucketheadd

Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems

Bucketheadd Level 1

Hello,

I am using the Epiphan VGA2PCI-e internal screen recorder to record an external device. External device is running at 60Hz and the recorder is too. I am getting a very smooth .avi clip. I used the compressor that they recommended "Epiphan recommends using ffvfw MPEG-4 Codec for signal capture."

When imported into PP CS5 and increase the scale I get this:blurry import.png

Basically it is blurry unlike the .avi played in WM player.

I setup the sequence like this:

Editing Mode: Desktop

Timebase: 60 fps

square pixel

Progressive scan

checked Maximum render quality

Is this a terrible compressor / codec to use?

Why does the .avi look great but terrible when imported?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Are there H264 capture options with that software?

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems
            Bucketheadd Level 1

Yes, Thank you, I had to checkbox it.

The blurriness is all gone when imported into PP. However, the .avi has some artifacting and glitching after import and when its in the timeline.

The video is flawless in Windows media player so something is going on when its imported. pp glitching.png

I am dragging an icon in a figure-8 for 15 seconds and about every 7 seconds it adds something like this ^^^...and the glitch gets "erased" as I continue to drag over it.

Sequence settings perhaps?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems

The Sequence settings should not effect that since your in Desktop Mode with Square Pixel. Try selecting an AVCHD Sequence setting at 30P and see. Also if you have Hardware MPE on switch it to software MPE and see if that changes it. Delete the Preview files when it prompts you.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems
                Bucketheadd Level 1

Neither of these work.

Thanks for the ideas. I tried these all and still got the same issue. The program has one pass or two pass encoding and still gets the same thing.

It seems like a glitch is happening every ~5 seconds

• 5. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems

Create a New Sequence and select custom. Go down to preview and select Microsoft Uncompressed 422 8 bit. Then change the resolution to 1920 by 1080. One the sequence is created move one of those files over there and see what happens.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems
                    Bucketheadd Level 1

Same thing..dangit.

I even tried Lagarith codec at this point in time and same thing as well

• 7. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems
                      Bucketheadd Level 1

The program has a configure device option that I am waiting for my IT guy to give me admin rights in order to use. There is some additional “fix frame rate” option but I don’t think that is the issue at this point

• 8. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems
                        Bucketheadd Level 1

The screen record business just got back to me saying:

As you said the problem is Adobe Premier Pro. You should probably get in touch with Adobe, they should recommend you type of codec that will be better compatible with Premier Pro. Our software allows downloading whatever codec pack you would choose.

So, please, contact Adobe for their suggestion of appropriate codecs.”

I am currently using the MS MPG4 v2 encoder that they recommend and I see H.264 in the decoder tab but not in the encoder tab. Not sure if this is making sense

encoder.pngdecoder.png

Most of the other codecs don’t support this frame size or are just crummy quality

• 9. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems

Try the MJpeg encoder and see if that is different. Also you may want to check under the first MPEG4 listing in Encoder and see if they list H264 there.

Eric

ADK

• 10. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems
                            Bucketheadd Level 1

Tried both of these and same thing.

I went ahead and took the flawless .avi and encoded that into a .mp4 with H.264 from AME...and then imported into PP on a 60fps sequence, then cut the sequence onto a 29.97 AVCHD sequence and then made a .wmv from there.  This solved the glitching problem but of course caused a little bit of bluriness due to triple encoding. Added a sharpen effect that didn't really help.

Successfully made a .wmv, .flv, and .mp4 (All slightly blurrier but acceptable)

• 11. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems

Then the issue is that application's file Writer. It must be adding data that is confusing the Premiere Decoding in the player. Export out of that application H264. Download this Application linked below and transcode that H264 over to Cineform. Import into Premiere and see if that works and the quality is better.

http://gopro.com/3d-cineform-studio-software-download/

Eric

ADK

• 12. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems
                                Bucketheadd Level 1

Now I can’t replicate another good .mp4 out of AME. I guess I am back to square one and will keep trying. I keep seeing online to try MS DV type-2 codec? Where would I find this?

THanks

• 13. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems
                                  LorinK2922

DUDE - you and I are having the EXACT same problem.  See my post: Capturing webcam as DVAVI type-2

I'm using one of ephiphans VGA to USB devices too.  YES - every codec I've tried is crap in Premiere and After effects, even though it plays fine in Windows Media.  In After Effects, I got repeated, jerky frames etc.  And rendering it didn't help.  So, I re-encoded the whole thing in Media Encoder.  It played fine in AFX then, the problem is that it encodes at about a rate of 10hours/per hour of video.

You don't have to use the Epiphan software to capture, as your computer sees the device as just an ordinary webcam.  It seemed like an easy thing:  just download the cedocida DV codec, load it in to any number of software titles and capture as DVAVI type 2.  As a 2nd choice, I'd take H.264, as long as it plays back smoothly in Premiere or AFX.  I've tried both (with DV codec just mentioned and the x264vfw codec).  Terrible results either way.  I've tried Virtual dub, Captureflux, Epiphan, Debut Video and GraphEditplus. Failure in every case.

I'm suspicious that our problem may stem from the inconstant frame rates that the epiphan device spits out.  Debut video allows you to change the frame rate of the device.  It thought this would fix it - setting it at 29.97 or 30.  But it doesn't. The software crashes.  I also had high hopes for GraphEditPlus, as the software allows so much flexibility.  But so far, I have not figured out how to import the DVAVI type2 codec.  And I don't know how to force the frame rate in graphedit either, but I haven't looked in to this much. 

Oh, and here's the Cedocida codec: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/cedocida_dv_codec.htm

Epiphan can see it, but it can't encode to it because of the frame rate (gives an error message).  I haven't tried the Panasonic codec, but I've heard it's outdated and really buggy anyway.

I still think our best bet is software that can force the frame rate somehow, whether with the DV codec or H.264

I am working pretty much full-time trying to find a solution to this problem, as I need something ready to go by next Monday.  If you find a fix - PLEASE POST IT!!!

• 14. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems
                                    Bucketheadd Level 1

Glad someone else is getting this problem too...Bittersweet haha. I was just about to get VirtualDub but from the sounds of it, it won't help.

It's funny that I got it to work for 1 clip yesterday and now I've been stressing out hard because like you...I have a deadline too!

What exact Epiphan device do you have?

• 15. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems
                                      LorinK2922 Level 1

I have the basic one: VGAtoUSB, as most of what I'll be capture is powerpoint presentations . . .

I think I'm done for the day.  . . .

Tomorrow I'm going to work more with Debut Professional as a possible candidate, using H.264.  It's at least not crashing the software, and there are several controls that might be able to fix the frame rate issue. Although nothing's working yet.  I'm "changing" the device frame rate to 29.97fps.  The first time I ran it, I got an error message something to the effect of, "warning- record time differs from run time.  Use system clock for future recordings?"  I hit "yes".  I hoped that this would fix it.  It didn't.  AFX will import it just fine, but the whole file is about 1/4 of the length it should be, and plays back at high speed.  Importing the file into AME crashes it.

There HAS to be a way to fix this!!!!  Help Adobe Community!

• 16. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems
                                        Bucketheadd Level 1

In the process of getting this software…Can Go Pro import .avi’s?? That’s all this capture tool can make is avi’s

Thanks

• 17. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems
                                          Bucketheadd Level 1

Any luck Lorin?

Today downloaded the H.264 codec (I guess I didn’t have it besides from what Premiere comes with) and I got the same exact results. I actually have CamStudio and will be trying to screen record the epiphan capture tool as a .avi from CamStudio. I’ve had much success with CamStudio so we’ll see.

• 18. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems
                                            LorinK2922 Level 1

I'm sorry, I'm confused. What software are you getting?  "Go Pro"?  Or were you talking about Debut Professional?  The later can technically export as type2 DVAVI if the codec is installed.  But good luck doing it with this variable frame-rate source video. 

I called Epiphan today to complain.  Didn't do much good.  I'm now looking at a seriously crappy "plan B".  Run the VGA into one of these boxes, then output S-Video to a A/D firewire converter box and capture firewire.  I don't care about high resolution since most of what I need to grab is powerpoint.  800x600 should be OK.  But it's definitely less than ideal, compared to the way I thought I was going to be able to do this.

I still think I might be able to do this in Graphedit Plus, if I was better at stringing the filters together.  If you've never used it, it's VERY "manual".  There's very little user interface - no video screen.  You just take your source, add codecs, de-mux or mux filters, and then your file file containers.  If I could get a type2 DVAVI codec installed and a filter to force the frame rate, it might work . . .

But then again, Debut Professional claims to be able to force the frame rate, but it's not working for me.

One thought - you're using a higher-end ephiphan device than I am.  What frame rates are you getting (you can monitor them in the capture software if you enable this option in settings)  If you're getting above 24 or 30 consistently, you could set the epiphan software to max the frame rate at 24/30fps.  Have you tried that?

• 19. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems
                                              LorinK2922 Level 1

CamStudio is great for recording your own screen.  But I've never tried to use it for capturing an external source, like a webcam or an epiphan device.  Is that possible?  Let me know how it turns out.

• 20. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems
                                                Bucketheadd Level 1

I get 60 fps no problem. I have tried to cap out at different rates and no difference….it’s either crap footage…or slightly laggier crap footage.

As for CamStudio…I was just going to screen record a screen record basically. In other words, use camstudio to capture exactly what the capture tool is showing on my desktop. I tried it once and the frame rate was pretty bad but I didn’t get the glitching in Premiere Pro. Now that I have a new codec I’m going to try that…..Will get back to you on this.

Yea I’ve been emailing Epiphan and they are doing okay. For the most part they say to just contact Adobe.

Good luck

• 21. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems
                                                  LorinK2922 Level 1

HA!  So even if you cap the frame rate with their software it still sucks?!?  That's funny.  They were trying to up-sell me this morning when I talked to them.  "We can't force the frame rate, but with a higher end device you can get the rate well above 30fps and then limit it to 30fps using the software"  Nice sell, jerks.

So you're saying-  put epiphan full screen and then use camstudio to do a screen grab?  That's a really good idea.  I just tried it with the cedocida codec though with a few different settings and I'm getting the error message, "Camstudio could not record the AVI using the current compressor.  Use default compressor?"  Let me know if you figure out a way to make it work!

• 22. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems
                                                    Bucketheadd Level 1

Ok so I'm pretty sure I found a somewhat temporary solution using CamStudio

When the Epiphan Capture Tool opens mine is recording 1024x768 so I fullscreen it (takes up about half my screen). Then I use CamStudio to record the Epiphan screen preview..(My boss laughed when I told him I was screen recording a screen recording).

In CamStudio I use the lagarith lossless codec with these settings:

Quality: 100

Set keyframes every 75 frames

Capture frames every 40

Playback rate 25 fps

The 40 and 25 can be experiemented with but they should equal 1000 when multiplied together. I found these to be the best for me.

Then I take the .avi and import into a special Desktop sequence with 25 fps...progressive...and check the "Max render quality" button. I then drag that sequence into my standard 1080i 29.97 sequence and resize things around. The reason for the Desktop sequence is because the footage looks terrible when brought straight into a standard 1080i 29.97 for whatever reason. I have successfully imported and encoded a .wmv, .flv, and.mp4 doing it this way.

For me this is temporary since I need to get some videos done pronto. The 25 fps is doable for moving icons around etc.  Good thing: No more glitching images every ~5 seconds.

Hope this helps

I work M-F 6:30-3pm PST and am usually at my desk all day.

• 23. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems
                                                      LorinK2922 Level 1

Yep.  One thing though, how long are you wanting to capture?  I need captures at 1hour+.  Camstudio cuts it off after 2GB.  So, compressed video could probably get a file that length.   But if it's lossless, it's probably going to crap out when it hits the limit.  Sorry to rain-on-parade, if that does. . . .

• 24. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems
                                                        Bucketheadd Level 1

Oh I see...

Yea I'm only recording clips anywhere from 5-60 seconds.

1 hour+ Wow. That's a huge hoop to jump through. Is there anyway to just splice together 5 minute segments?

• 25. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems
                                                          LorinK2922 Level 1

I think I'd rather just re-encode at 10hrs-per-hour of video rather than fool with 5 mintue chunks.

For Monday, I'm leaning towards my solution of VGA-to-S-video box -> s-video to A/D firewire converter box -->  capture with firewire in, if it works.  A sloppy, antiquated solution, but I may have no other choice.

• 26. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems
                                                            Bucketheadd Level 1

Morning -

So VirtualDub worked well for me (better than CamStudio) and pretty much solved my whole problem.

I used the MS MPEG v2 codec and everything was gravy in Premiere Pro.

Hope your solution works with that video box.

• 27. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems
                                                              LorinK2922 Level 1

Yep, I'm getting 30fps, smooth video right off-the-bat.  No subsequent transcoding.  Glad your solution worked too.

Want to buy a backup Epiphan VGAtoUSB for cheap?

• 28. Re: Epiphan screen record imported to PP CS5 problems
                                                                Bucketheadd Level 1

Awesome!

Good job.

HAHA No thanks…we actually purchased that same one you have and returned it because we needed 30+fps for cursor movement opposed to the 7.5fps I was getting. Really good deal though for non-movement recordings. I did like the look of the external ones too.