26 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2012 3:56 PM by gener7

Gimp ??

KarlosNZ

Hi

I know this is Aboce forum but ...I have been told about gimp as good alterative to Photoshop. I have checked it out etc and look pretty cool. - The thing is the cost of Photoshop is such that I cannot afford - though I do intent to buy a copy of it and lightroom later next year. so Gimp will be interum solution  I was wanting some feed back regarding a gimp and image "rendering" ie - will the final images be a good as Photoshop ??

Any feed back is welcome..

Thanks

Carl Lea

[spam link removed]

• 1. Re: Gimp ??
          Curt Y Level 7

Can't really say one way or another, but most of cost of the program is in "features".  If you can edit it in gimp with the features it has,  it will probably be the same as with photoshop.  Just probably don't have as many bells and whistles and may have to do several steps to get there.

Adobe Photoshop Elements is a much cheaper alternative to PS, but again it depends on what features you need.  They all have 30 day trials.  But beware PS has a steep learning curve.

good luck.

• 2. Re: Gimp ??
            Lundberg02 Level 3

I am a longtime Photoshop user (1996). GIMP is Linux, and that means it's  half finished, un -intuitive, and a bit weird.

You can get Corel PaintShop Pro X4 Ultimate for about 30-40 bucks right now. It only runs in Windows, but you will be much happier with it as a cheaper alternative until you can gfo pro with PS and LR.

• 3. Re: Gimp ??
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Lundberg02 wrote:

I am a longtime Photoshop user (1996). GIMP is Linux, and that means it's  half finished, un -intuitive, and a bit weird.

I'm a long time Photoshop user even before 1996.  So I have a lot invested in Photoshop and would therfore not want to learn a program that is un-intutive and a bit weird and as complex as Gimp is.

Though I feel at ease in Photoshop I would not call it intuitive or easy to learn and lately it has more then its share of bugs. I would not recommend Photoshop to anyone and may stop recomending PSE to those the want to learn Image editing.

According to Adobe blog Adobe has fixed a total number of 76 core issues in 13.0.1, including:

• 2 Security fixes 
              • 31 Crashing fixes
              • 18 fixes to 3D features
              • 15 fixes to Drawing and Graphics features

And users are still having problems

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2012/08/photoshop-cs6-13-0-1-update-now-available

Unfortuneitly I do not know of a good alternitive to Photoshop. It just does not exist me think.

• 4. Re: Gimp ??
                Noel Carboni Level 8

Photoshop !!

-Noel

• 5. Re: Gimp ??
                  conroy Level 5

KarlosNZ wrote:

I was wanting some feed back regarding a gimp and image "rendering" ie - will the final images be a good as Photoshop ??

You can use the Photoshop CS6 Trial for 30 days and compare it with GIMP.

Also, Photoshop is available as a monthly subscription as an alternative to purchasing a permanent license.

• 6. Re: Gimp ??
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I looked at GIMP many years ago, as many offered glowing recs.. As I had PS, I was a bit biased, but found the GUI, back then, to be kludgey, and never looked at it again.

Now, for much of what PS can do, with some exceptions, you might want to look into Photoshop Elements. It is not free, but is certainly nicely priced. With PS Elements 11 about to be released, one might find some great deals on the current PS Elements version 10?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Gimp ??
                      Lundberg02 Level 3

Gimp looks like it was written in WordStar.

• 8. Re: Gimp ??
                        Level 5

You need to take a fresh look at a current version of GIMP, Lundberg02.

I'm not remotely saying that it's a worthy rival to Photoshop, but it has come a looooooong way from the early versions. 

Some of its features, like Smart Fill, worked better in the GIMP when I compared them to the same feature in Photoshop 11.0.x.

No, it's not a substitute for Photoshop, but neither is Photoshop Elements, which, in my opinion, is overpriced by about $70 US Cy.

• 9. Re: Gimp ??
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Station_Two,

I would anticipate that much HAS changed. My last look was 10 - 12 years ago, and that is why I qualified it.

Many DO feel that GIMP is a very viable Image Editing program, so if their is any love for the program is any indicator, it HAS gotten better from a user-interface stand point.

With PS handy, I have just not felt a need to explore it again.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Gimp ??
                            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Yes we have a lot of time invested in Photoshop too much to even think about changing over till the day Adobe does in Photoshop.

• 11. Re: Gimp ??
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, that is my feeling exactly. I never wish to diss GIMP, PaintShop, or any other such program. Heck, I still have a very old copy of Ulead's PhotoImpact, that I use as a JPEG viewer, with a few, rudimentary correction tools, but use it as just a viewer for 99% of the time. I use what I have almost always used, a program that I know and one that I love. I jumped from Aldus PhotoStyler, when PS hit of the PC, and have just never looked back. Nowadays, I do not even use Painter, as much as I once did.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Gimp ??
                                Lundberg02 Level 3

station two, I just used GIMP and I stand by my comments. The reason Linux Server is popular is that no one has to actually look at it. If Paint Shop Pro ran on Mac I would probably use it occasionally. In fact, since I'm going to run VMWare Fusion soon now that they released 4.1.3 which runs in Mountain Lion, I will probably buy ver X4 while they're blowing it out prior to X5. Just to check out their perspective correction.

• 13. Re: Gimp ??
                                  Level 5

What version of GIMP did you try?  The Mac OS X native version?

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

How does Linux come into play for you? And Linux "Server"?  I'm mightily confused by your response. 

I've used GIMP on my Macs and on my Windows laptop (see screen shots below), I still have it installed,  but I know squat about GIMP and Linux, much less Linux Server.  

From the above link:

GIMP for Mac OS X

Since the 2.8.2 version GIMP runs on OSX natively. No X11 environment is required.

Native builds

Currently we have two source of installers.

A GIMP 2.8 DMG installer by Clayton Walker, stock GIMP build without any add-ons. Just open the downloaded DMG and drag "GIMP.app" into your "Applications" folder.

A build by Simone Karin Lehmann, with some extra plug-ins.

GIMP on OS X screen shot:

screenshot-gimp-mac.jpg

GIMP on Windows Vista screen shot:

screenshot-gimp-windowsvista.png

Sorry, but I honestly cannot make any sense of your last post with the Linux Server reference at all, and I can't still understand why you said earlier something to the effect that GIMP looks like it was written in WordStar.  ?? !

?? !

• 14. Re: Gimp ??
                                    Noel Carboni Level 8

?? !

Maybe Lundberg's implying Gimp has been (is being) developed in the open source realm by geeks, some of whom are Linux afficionados, and that has flavored its UI?      Keep in mind that the way he writes he may be considering the UI as the operating system, not realizing how closely related OSX and Linux are under the covers. 

That said, Photoshop seems at least as aloof of the UI conventions of any particular OS as any software out there.  Hard to throw stones at another editor when Photoshop's UI is all over the map.  Perhaps that's just the nature of such complex software.

I'll be frank - I'm not quite getting the point of mentioning Linux either, though I've noticed that my own subjective perceptions often appear to live in a different universe from Lundberg's, and so I'm probably just not understanding the context. 

It's not a bad thing - it's good to have many different viewpoints.  A wide variety of perceptions is one of the things that make internet forums (and communicating in general) great.  We all become greater than the sum of our parts.

I've noticed that some people seem to write in a style that assumes a greater mutually-understood context than others.  On the one hand, no one could be expected to spend the time in every post to describe ALL the context in which they're writing - one has to assume some things.  On the other, after a time participating in Internet forums, one should come to know how much context must be provided.  Falling short of that habitually tends to project negative things about personality traits, even if those traits aren't there.

-Noel

• 15. Re: Gimp ??
                                      Level 5

Noel,

Please don't misconstrue my post as a criticism of Lundberg02.  I have not only total respect for him but even genuine fondness after interacting with him for years, on a first name basis too when communicating privately.

It's precisely because I value his opinion that I was asking him to clarify something that evidently went over my head.

No negative projections of any kind are involved here.

• 16. Re: Gimp ??
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Noel,

I've noticed that some people seem to write in a style that assumes a greater mutually-understood context than others.  On the one hand, no one could be expected to spend the time in every post to describe ALL the context in which they're writing - one has to assume some things.  On the other, after a time participating in Internet forums, one should come to know how much context must be provided.  Falling short of that habitually tends to project negative things about personality traits, even if those traits aren't there.

Going OT here - I do agree that it can be tough to distill one's thoughts into words, that are universally accepted, and understood by all. As I participate in two different Premiere Forums (PrPro and PrElements), with different target audiences, I often get nailed for talking up to the PrE crowd, and then talking down to the PrPro group. Stuff happens.

We see similar on the PS Forum, as some users are "old-timers," and do not need their hand held, but then many are new to the program, and do not know where File>Open is located. Again, stuff happens.

You make good points. Some of us are geeks, whether PS, or OS's in general, and others are neophytes. Trying to tell who is who, can be impossible.

Hunt - now back to our regularly scheduled program...

• 17. Re: Gimp ??
                                          Lundberg02 Level 3

Anything written by people who refer to "distros" and "tar balls" is suspect.  Linux has a two decade history of forgetting things.

• 18. Re: Gimp ??
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Gosh, guess that I missed those comments.

Hunt

• 19. Re: Gimp ??
                                              gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I remember "gimp" meaning something entirely different years back (ok,more like decades) as an non-politically correct term for disabled. A look at the Urban Dictionary also has the S&M meaning as well.

Oh well,I do know it means "Gnu Image Manipulation Program." Just saying they could have have branded it differently. 

Using "I'm gonna "Gimp" that horse and elephant" in conversation does kinda make people shuffle away from you.

• 20. Re: Gimp ??
                                                Level 5

gener7 wrote:

...Using "I'm gonna "Gimp" that horse and elephant" in conversation does kinda make people shuffle away from you.

LOL ! 

Thanks for the belly laugh! 

• 21. Re: Gimp ??
                                                  acresofgreen Level 4

Lundberg02 wrote:

Anything written by people who refer to "distros" and "tar balls" is suspect.  Linux has a two decade history of forgetting things.

Another cryptic comment.  And what is the connection between Linux and the original topic of this thread (Gimp)?

• 22. Re: Gimp ??
                                                    Hudechrome Level 2

IIRC, it was written first for Linux. However, that's neither hrer nor there.

After getting comfortable with PS, running Gimp felt like being out in cold weather with only a light sweater. I had to get back fast!

• 23. Re: Gimp ??
                                                      Lundberg02 Level 3

Only in the last release 2.8.2 could GIMP be run on a Mac without the X environment.

• 24. Re: Gimp ??
                                                        Level 5

Of course the GIMP is not remotely a substitute for Ps, and it never will be, but for a free program, it sure beats the pants off the overpriced Adobe Photoshop Elements.

• 25. Re: Gimp ??
                                                          Joprysko Level 3

I use both Gimp and Photoshop. I used gimp for years before I could afford to buy photoshop infact i made the money to buy photoshop from art I did in gimp. That being said, it is excellent for the price you pay for it in fact you can pay 100's for something not nearly as good as Gimp.

I find Gimps tools easier to find and understand then some of those of Photoshop, and while photoshop has some very strong tools of its own, to this day some things are done faster and simpler in gimp.

• 26. Re: Gimp ??
                                                            gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think the advice to KarlosNZ can be summed up this way: "Try the free stuff first."

Download Gimp,learn Gimp and see how it goes. What it offers may be just enough for most workflows.