19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2012 11:32 AM by Fuzzy Barsik

One thing about format container

LeeXiaoLoong Level 1

correct me if im wrong

a container is a format that let 2 different files saved with two different codecs stay together in the same file that can be reproduced (in example a video)

like a video recorded in h.264 and another in wmv if i mount them together i can use mp4 to let them live together right?

but why sometime if i have a video file in wmv this is saved in wmv and not in mp4?

and why if i have a video created in AE saved in h.264 this will be saved in mp4 and not in h.264 like the wmv?

can you explain me these points?

please i need to know this

• 1. Re: One thing about format container
          Greg Baber Adobe Employee

Container files are more like files that can contain multiple types of codecs, but they would still be one specific video.

For example, QuickTime which is a container type, can have many different codecs inside.  They can be Animation, H.264 or DNxHD, among other codecs.  However, each QuickTime file is still one video, with one codec.  Some codecs can have multiple streams in them, like a seperate video and audio stream, but a container keeps them together to make it easier to keep track of your files.  They are still technically one video, and one codec.

Some confusion might come in when we talk about container files that are also codecs.  WMV is an example - a WMV is going to have the same codec in it, every time.  It's the Windows Media codec.

Does that clarify things for you? 

• 2. Re: One thing about format container
            LeeXiaoLoong Level 1

the container yes so is what i think, is like a box where you can put different kind of video and audio that will be reproduced, the container once is created it become a video

about wmv its not clear...

h.264 is a codec, wmv too right?

why if i save in wmv the file is hello.wmv, but with h.264 is hello.mp4?

or maybe instead of wmv use another format, why some codec let their name in the extension and other codecs no?

• 3. Re: One thing about format container
              Greg Baber Adobe Employee

Containers can only contain certain types of codecs.  Some like Quicktime and AVI have a wide variety.  Others, like WMV are a codec as well, so they only accept one type. 

It sounds like you expect a container to be like a zip file.  They are not.  A container file has one particular codec inside of it - just one.   If you want to combine two or more videos, you will need to edit them together into one video, then encode it using one particular codec.

Per your question.  WMV is a codec, but it is a codec that only works in one type of container file which is also called WMV.  That's where the confusion comes in.  WMV is in the file name, because that is the type of container file - WMV.  When you are looking through our Format listing, those are the container types that will work.  Once you have chosed the container file, then in the Video tab, you will see the options for the codecs that are available for the container file you chose.

• 4. Re: One thing about format container
                LeeXiaoLoong Level 1

thanks about WMV i don't know that WMV is a container too

about container format no i don't think is a zip file

but in example i use after effect and fuse 2 video, one wmv and one 3gp ok?

when i chose to create a video i use h.264 so both files become a h.264 that is in mp4 container, everything all right? the audio part of both video will be converted in an MP3 i suppose so inside the mp4 we will have 2 files that originally were wmv and 3gp fused into 1 file that is h.264 and the audio that is an mp3 file

everything correct?

• 5. Re: One thing about format container
                  Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

No. Once you imported several footages and audio files into AE project and dropped them into a composition, they stopped being separate files. Now you're working on video and audio streams (metadata as well, if you add, for example, some cue points).

When you export a file out of your composition, video stream, audio stream and metadata are encoded and compressed separately with their own codecs and then wrapped up into container. Therefore, you don't have your original files re-encoded with other codecs in a new file, you have encoded and compressed streams, which were composed by you in AE out of several audio and video sources.

A single file can contain several audio or video streams (e.g. different language tracks or right and left camera view of stereoscopic 3D), but that's another story.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: One thing about format container
                    LeeXiaoLoong Level 1

or i am stupid or i don't know what...

try with different approach

WHY container exist?

what is the difference between have a .wmv and a .mp4 file?

what is supposed to do a container?

a codec is supposed to compress a file the decompress it to play it, same for audio files i suppose

BUT why i container exist?

can you make some example? maybe with some file exxtensions etc, i really don't get the point of format to exist, like mosquito....

• 7. Re: One thing about format container
                      Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

As any other containers in real world, digital containers exist to store different things in one place. See this article - it should make things simple for you.

Every digital container has its own features. See this Wikipedia article on containers comparison.

• 8. Re: One thing about format container
                        LeeXiaoLoong Level 1

ok so a container it's just a file that contain information on how to reproduce it's content to be presented to the people... this container has multiple instruction inside that explain to the pc how to reproduce the files stored inside the container

am i right or wrong again?

so technically when i use the codec h.264 to compress a video, when i reproduce it the video will be decompressed and the container (mp4 in this case) allow me to reproduce it cause inside, the container has the istruction to let the pc play it

right?

• 9. Re: One thing about format container
                          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Yup, apart from files inside a container - audio and video streams and metadata are not files.

• 10. Re: One thing about format container
                            LeeXiaoLoong Level 1

yeah audio and video are not files inside, it's just to make it very simple

the same thing is for audio i suppose right? when you have inside an audio container  multiple file like vocal, sound, music right?

image container how work?

when we CONVERT a video file what we do technically?

same h.264 video file in mp4 container, i convert it to mpeg-4 in avi container, what the program do? just change the codec and then store it inside the container or what? what technically do a conversion?

(omg sorry for this enormus waste of time)

a raw file, in example a video, a video without any lost of quality, the lossless, the most perfect video which container use?

• 11. Re: One thing about format container
                              Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

When one convert a media file, converting software interprets (decode) information inside and then use other algorithms to encode and compress data and wrap them up into another file format. If new codec is lossy, there will be generation loss in quality.

You may find a list of both lossless and lossy codecs e.g. in Wikipedia. Then you may jump back to containers comparison table. Regard to Adobe software, lossless codecs can be used along with AVI or QuickTime containers.

RAW is more a common name for uncompressed frame formats, captured by camera sensor.

• 12. Re: One thing about format container
                                LeeXiaoLoong Level 1

okok so when i convert a wmv video stored into a wmv container into a h.264 stored into a mp4 the converter just decompress the wmv and compress it again into h.264 right?

about why certain codec can be just in certain container it's about copyright or something? like wmv is of microsoft so only wmv can be stored in wmv, mov is from apple so only certain codec can be stored in mov container etc right?

another thing XD

a codec like h.264 can have as container a mp4 right? is there another container that can contain h.264? how can you choose wich container use if a codec is allowed in more than one container?

• 13. Re: One thing about format container
                                  Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Which codecs can be used in a particular container is about the container specification and just partly about copyright things.

There are many containers that can accommodate data encoded with H.264 (see comparison table in Wikipedia).

The limitations on which container to choose for a certain codec in case it can live in several ones are imposed by the software you use.

• 14. Re: One thing about format container
                                    LeeXiaoLoong Level 1

okok so it's like a cpu intel can live only onto a intel motherboard XD looks like the same thing

anyway i think it's enough, i think i understand rougly what is a container...

there is a comparison on which container give the best quality (if this thing can be applied to container) or it depends just by codec

• 15. Re: One thing about format container
                                      Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Container is just a glass or a bottle, where you can pour a liquid. A liquid quality depends on a manufacturer equipment and staff skills (codecs), but is limited by technology (compression standard). Different manufacturers may implement the same technology (e.g. MPEG-4 Part 2), but their product quality may be different because of gear and staff (e.g. DivX vs Xvid).

• 16. Re: One thing about format container
                                        LeeXiaoLoong Level 1

well perfect

thank you, now i just have to find a comparison quality of codec, but i think the best quality for online can be achieved with h.264 right?

• 17. Re: One thing about format container
                                          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Correct, H.264 is the best option for online distribution.

You may find some video codecs comparison in Wikipedia as well, but don't trust the definition 'lossy' too much, perceiving the word literally. E.g. ProRes is labeled as 'lossy' (and it actually is), but this is a professional codec, which provides high level quality with slight amount of generation loss.

• 18. Re: One thing about format container
                                            LeeXiaoLoong Level 1

h.264 has a lossless version too? didn't know that, how can i choose in adobe the lossless version of h.264?

• 19. Re: One thing about format container
                                              Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

OK. I didn't play with x264 on my own yet, but was able to find these two threads in Premiere Pro Forum:

1. x264 Plug-in for Premiere Pro (promotional price is $299)

2. Installing x264 to use in Adobe Media Encoder

I will definitely dabble with the latter when I have time.